Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Hey everyone. :) Thought I'd pop in and share my two newbie dresses.

When I started, I figured, "If you're gonna sew, might as well skip the little steps and just jump right in." My theory was that if clothes can be manufatured in sweatshops with an uneducated, tired and impovished workforce, then a middleclass gal like me can do it too, eh? (My logic may be a little flawed, but it was what I thought at the time)

So, I made my prom dresses for both years I went to the high school prom.

My sewing experience beforehand was next to nothing. (I had reconstructed a pleated shirt by carefull pinning everything together and then chopping off the waistline.) I figured this would be a good thing to start with, because I'd save a shitload of money, (Each dress cost ~$120) and it would only have to be worn once so the craftmanship didn't have to be top-quality.

Anyway, I wanted to do something different, so I decided that my boyfriend and I would go for a Gypsy-pirate theme. I chose that pattern because it wasn't fitted - a very loose shirt, a corset made of little panels (adjusted by laces) and an elastic-waisted skirt. There's a hell of a lot of stuff wrong with it, but it held up for the night and it was dark, so no one noticed the shoddy hems and the interfacing poking out of the corset. :P

Excuse the low quality pics - I had to shrink them a lot to get 'em to fit.

And the other one was alright. It fit a bit weird, because it was, well, fitted and I wasn't used to making fitted dresses. We were going to do a cowboy/indian thing, but his stuff wasn't ready in time. Anyway, it went pretty well. I shortened the dress (it was originally floor-length). The neck was hard because I didn't understand what the pattern was trying to tell me, so it was really messy. But no one noticed. :)

... I write too much.

Anyway, right now I'm not doing anything until I get a serger, so I can properly finish my stuff and have it not fall apart in the wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Spiffy posted:

The only thing that'd hold me back is if they are inherently more difficult to use.

I got myself a serger and dived into it. The only thing that I was worried of was threading it properly (Doesn't take long to learn), and then getting the correct tension settings for every project. Both come easily with practice. It's so quick and easy to put together clothes, I absolutely adore it.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

seriouslywtf posted:

I don't really have any name for this dress:

I like this one! It makes me think of snakes, but in a good way. :3: Really cool effect.
Also, you look so much different when you smile.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

meataidstheft posted:

I hadn't seen anything mentioned about this (feel free to beat me if I overlooked it), but is there ANY way to convert flared leg pants into straight leg? I mistakenly purchased these horrid flared leg khakis and I like the way they fit otherwise, because I have 4 other pairs in various colors which are all straight leg. I have short stumpy legs so the last thing I need is a foot of material drowning each of my feet. Any guidance would be appreciated, because like a drat fool I took the tags off before wearing them.

Yes, I'm stupid.

I've never done it personally, couldn't you just turn them inside out and run a straight seam down the side of each leg? If they're khakis then you might not have to worry about one of the seams requiring topstiching either...

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

nolen posted:

I'm currently working on my very first sewing project. EVER.

I taught myself how to backstitch and then created a pattern for a stuffed animal. Everything seems to be on track and I will hopefully finish the doll today, but there is one thing that's scaring me.

While sewing the pieces together, the doll has been inside-out. I have left a hole so that I can flip the doll rightside-out and stuff it when I'm ready. Now, how do I sew up the hole from the outside without making it look different compared to the other stitches?

Basically, how do I finish up the doll from the outside?

Here's a site for finishing stuffed animals, and if that's still confusing, here's a video showing a slip stitch on a hem.

You basically turn the stuffed thing right side out, and then fold the seam allowances back inside the turning-hole so that everything is properly lined up like you want the finished look to be. Then you stitch the two seam allowances to each other right at the edge of the seam by sticking the needle in the hole to get the thread through them, like zipping something up from the inside.
At the very end you'll have to knot it off, but usually you can find a way to hide the knot.
I hope that clears it up, it's hard to describe things like this with words.

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 6, 2009

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

nolen posted:

This is adorable. I have a wooden lion on my nightstand I use to hold my glasses at night, reminds me of that. The little smile kills me.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
I've seen a few ruby slippers, my favourite is here.

She just used ropes (for lack of a better word) of sequins and used fabric glue to fix them onto a shoe. You can get sequins like that by the meter/yard at most craft or fabric stores - look in the trim section. Does it have to be those shoes? I guess you could remove the details on the toe, and fabric glue would probably stick to the shoe fabric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Charmmi posted:

I'm contemplating turning some pairs of tights into thigh-high stockings to wear with a garter belt. If I cut the legs off near the top, how should I sew down the raw edge so it doesn't unravel?

I've cut (cheapo) tights into thigh-highs before and they didn't need any sewing. They just rolled up like jersey does and haven't frayed, not even after washing. (Definitely needed a garter belt though, without it they'd roll right down my leg even when worn over other tights)

YMMV, of course!