Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beebubbles
Dec 19, 2007

Brush yo' teef.
I know that we've been all about the sewing, which is excellent. However we've got to pay attention to our tools, too.

I have a pair of Gingher scissors that are dying and I'd like to replace them. What's everyone's experience with their scissors? I have to say that I have some Fiskars but use them only when I'm making jewelry (cutting flex wire). So you get an idea of what I think of those.

Should I get another pair of Gingher's or should I branch out?

[Ed: Way to be late to the party. I see we're already on printing and painting. Man...]

Beebubbles fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beebubbles
Dec 19, 2007

Brush yo' teef.

squirrellypoo posted:

Is it something that could be fixed by getting them professionally sharpened? Vintage Ginghers have an excellent reputation and it'd be a huge shame to ditch them.

I'm sure that I could take them to a sharpener but I'd hate to leave them in care of the newly trained monkey on his first day and having them ruined. Not 100% sure but I think I can send them to the company for resharpening. Hmm.

But yeah, you're absolutely right about keeping them. I'd sooner fall on these babies than have to get rid of them.

Beebubbles
Dec 19, 2007

Brush yo' teef.

Strelnikov posted:

I also have a project to show off! Here's a scarf I made:

It's not knitted -- my school has a printer that will print your designs on fabric!

Fantastic! I thought for sure that it was knitted. And is that a tiny lady in the lower left corner?

Beebubbles
Dec 19, 2007

Brush yo' teef.
I've been thinking about working with this pattern again, New Look 6244. I've made a few dresses based it and they've come out nicely. This time I don't want to use a silk or silk type as they suggest. I have an awesome cotton knit that's fairly stable. My concern is that because the pattern calls for the cloth to be cut on the bias that a knit will stretch like mad. I've got a knit dress that is bias-cut however so I can't be too far off the mark, yeah?

I know to keep my seams as flat as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions besides that?

Beebubbles
Dec 19, 2007

Brush yo' teef.

Gonktastic posted:

Wonderful, thanks!

Anybody have suggestions for replacing coat buttons. I bought a trench coat and a wool coat for the winter and both of them have already lost a button. I noticed that they're pretty different than regular button sewing- looser and not as close to the actual fabric. I'd prefer not to go to a tailor...

Depending on which button it is you can have a lot of fun replacing it. Like a giant one at the very top, almost like a pendant. Is it a classic trench or something more modern?

And listen to Chery Hammer, those are awesome instructions. And yeah, never go to a tailor for stuff like that. It just pisses them off.