Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like this is the right thread here. I wanted to hem my pants while my tailor is on vacation so instead of looking for another one, I borrowed my mom's sewing machine. The result was definitely not perfect but easily good enough since nobody's going to be examining it from up close. I also took in the sides of a t-shirt to make it less square. That's the entire sewing experience so far so maybe this is getting too ambitious.

I also wanted to to the the sides on this shirt that have this double stitching going on with the triangle thing at the bottom :v: The way I did the t-shirt was by running a single straight stitch and then blending it into the original armpit seam. Here though there's no simple way to do it without ripping everything out, is there? Or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wanted to shorten the sleeves on my western shirt but it has these snaps that I'd probably have to remove. Is it possible to do it non-destructively? I checked a few videos on youtube but it seems like they might get deformed pretty bad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

effika posted:

It's not going to be worth it. Just accept that the snaps aren't coming out well, and the fabric may be damaged under them. Even if you did get them out, I'm not sure I'd trust them to go back in well.

Once you've shortened the sleeve, pearl snaps are easy to install (I like them over buttons for many applications) if you get a few tools. The plier tool is fine, but if you find you like snaps getting a hammer & die or a table press from Goldstar Tools is the way to go. (If you can get a Snapsource Snapsetter kit, it's my favorite of the non-expensive tools. They went out of business though.)
All right, thanks, I'll try to hunt down some new staps first then before I butcher these :)