Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My (cheap!) machine has an oscillating hook and it just made a loud grinding sound and now does not produce any stitches. I opened it up a little and found that while the hook does turn, it's not picking up thread from the bobbin, in fact no matter how fast I spin the knob the bobbin and its thread stay perfectly stationary as the hook moves around it. Does this sound like something I could fix myself, or do I need to take it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I unfortunately can't run scrap fabric through because I can't finish the threading process...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzldV7ib2jo

I recorded a video that'll hopefully demonstrate better than I can explain, I've threaded this machine before and the last step is to have the bobbin thread come up as a loop and pull it out through the sewing hole (??) and out to the back. No loop comes up any more, so I can't finish threading.

Please excuse my voice and my messy table :sweatdrop:

if video with the machine opened up would help i could do that too

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 12, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I need an N95 mask so I can repair my sewing machine, it's full of some kind of industrial lube that smells like death

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

If I wanted to make a cover for my ikea POANG where would I even start with that? Like I don't think there are patterns available for purchase so can I measure the cushions and just make big rectangles? What kind of fabric do I use for furniture?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

the snap tore off my favourite bag :(

where can i get like 10x10cm of heavy canvas to patch it and install a new snap
i don't want an entire Bunch of it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

cloudy posted:

This sounds like a thrift store scavenge kinda project!

Hey, thank you for this suggestion, it reminded me I actually have some converse that are beyond repair, I'm harvesting a tongue from it for a patch :)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I successfully hemmed my shower curtain so it doesn't drag a huge pile of fabric along the shower floor :shobon: it's really not a straight line (idk how machine sewing a straight line is so difficult for me) but also it's not really that noticeable.

I've never put machine sewing to a visible use in my home before because I'm still not very confident in my ability and I don't want to waste fabric practicing, so this is pretty exciting for me

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

In my quest to slowly sew many rectangles I've decided for our new bed I will sew a custom duvet cover to better match our desired colour scheme

But that means going to a fabric store and I am very intimidate

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I was thinking just one big rectangle? With some ties inside for attaching the duvet

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Ohhh sorry yeah I was referring to how my previous project was hemming my shower curtain which is also a large rectangle 😅 thank you for the advice!! I hadn't realized standard fabric width wouldn't be enough

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oh also - if I wanted to make matching curtains is quilting cotton suitable for that too? Or do I need a different fabric

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Am I seriously misunderstanding how seams work or, why is any seam that gets pressed open taught as anything other than a very bad idea? It seems like that would put all the stress on just a single line of stitches that'd rip basically immediately?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

French seams seem straight forward for how fancy their reputation is, except for curves, my busted spatial reasoning can't wrap my head around it, keep thinking I need to make concave curves convex and vice versa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Wouldn't glue gunk up the needle?