Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I've been teaching myself to knit the past month, and have been trying quite a few new patterns.

Recently, I started an afghan pattern that has cables. I've practiced 2 and 3 stitch cables with one of those cable bars before, and they all came out well. What I'm confused by is that this pattern describes a cable as this:

quote:

...(work Cable, P2)

To work Cable (uses 2 sts), K2 tog, do not slip sts off needle, knit the first st again, then slip both sts off left.

What I do understand is how to K2 tog and P2, the rest is a bit of a puzzle as I don't know how you can cable without taking the stitches off of the left needle. Further, does anyone know what it means by "knit the first st again"? Does it mean the first stitch of the K2 tog or some other stitch I'm overlooking?

The pattern is called Golden Tone and out of a book by Leisure Arts, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Strelnikov posted:

This is just a two stitch cable, right? The way they describe it, it's not really a cable, it's a crossed stitch. The K2 tog causes the first stitch to 'lean', then you knit the first stitch of the two you just knit together to cross it behind the k2tog. It means you don't have to use a cable needle or deal with raw stitches, so it's a little faster. It doesn't really look different from a normal cable though, so if you prefer making a normal cable you can substitute that.

Oohhh, ok. I get it now, thanks! :)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Ashcans posted:

All your stuff is really impressive, but I really love the way this looks in particular, the whole shape and concept is great. If you get the chance for pictures of the final product at some point, I'd love to see them.

Seconding the wish to see it when you're done, especially with all the detail you've put into it :)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

I think it would be ok to widen the sleeve-holes down by the armpit. It's a problem I've run into myself, and even though it meant straying from the pattern, it worked.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Been working on my dress. It's not perfect, and it's the most complex piece I've ever done considering everything but the bodice is me winging it. I also need to remove some of the padding from the dress form on top, since it's not quite to scale this month.

Any tips on how to make a nice hemline? Should I break down and buy some tape?

Click here for the full 400x634 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Invisible Ted posted:

So I would really like to start sewing some of my own clothes (male), however I have never really sewn before. I'm looking for a book or resource that covers the most basic of basics for sewing, the end goal right now being something like a basic V-neck t-shirt. I'd prefer not to buy a sewing machine for now, so hand sewing is a must. Many of the links in the OP are broken now, and the ones that work use a lot of terminology that I'm unfamiliar with.

Maybe something like Step-by-step Guide to Sewing Techniques? Table of Contents has quite a few by Hand items listed.