Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hi sewing thread I just wanted to stop by and share my first sewing project which is also an upholstery and woodworking project. I am building a couch! I just finished the second of three sections. All from scratch with no plans other than what I drew and white boarded. Depth of the seat is that of a twin and high of the back is 22", and one portion will pull out to be a queen size bed.

Current state in place.

The last section has the pull out and will be complicated, and I know I'm short on material to cover the base so it'll be a bit delayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Actually complete! I even put the hardware on to link the sections so it's very stable now.

Next up, sewing hems onto satin for swag on the ceiling.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

learnincurve posted:

That is just genius and would have saved me so much money over the decades. I’d probably definitely have to order in MDF cut to size and then screw it into boxes to make the base and back though.

I have, finally after 20 years found a sewing table that fits a quilting machine. Gidget II, it’s fully assembled, folding, but has wheels on one side so you can move it. Sewing online has them on sale for £179, last I saw it anywhere it was £350

Thanks! I built the frames and stretched jute and elastic webbing on it, so the bases are very light.

My wife just got a dress in the mail and said it was a bit loose and I went "oh do you want me to take it in?". She's absolutely delighted to have this service in home.

That looks like a nice table, better than the folding one I am using. Maybe after a few more projects I'll pick one up and say "why didn't I buy this earlier"

Edit: I should also plug the fabric calculator at Sailrites website. Plug in your cushion dimensions and it gives you a simple pattern for a box corner cushion. Takes about an hour per cushion for me. I ended up making a couple of templates for the repeatable cuts and got a bit faster on the last few.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 10, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

taiyoko posted:

That looks super amazing, is it a big money saver over buying pre-made, or is this more from the perspective of being less lovely to move to a new place in the future? I'm tempted to get something like this going for my place, except I probably need to get a sewing machine again...didn't have space in the car for my cross-country move for the one I had at my parents' house. I also don't think I'd ever get it done if I was hand-sewing the cushions.

Sadly it was comparable to purchasing one, although I wasn't able to find any in the dimensions I built to. I also had a goal of having the back cushions on the chaise side able to go onto a mini pullout for a queen size guest bed, able to be covered with a sheet. It came out janky, although it met a secret criteria of being comfortable for a guest but not for too long.

Mostly I wanted a really deep and low couch, the bottom cushions are 39" deep. I probably could have bought one 36" deep and a bit higher. The cushions are about 11" off the ground.

Next up is a little chair I call the peacock chair, which was made by a furniture and birdcage company.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Peacock chair. I took for granted how difficult this would be. I need a good piping foot as it's hard to get a nice tight stich. I also traced the old upholstery which gave me an out of round template. I'll probably redo this.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Great job that's super cute!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

effika posted:

Thanks! It's hunter green and black buffalo check plaid by Robert Kaufman. Here's the link on Fabric.com, but you'll need to find another source since Amazon shut them down.

Thank you! It's great fabric.

Wtf why! I bought so much from them just this year.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

effika posted:

Per this article, it's that Amazon fundamentally does not understand the fabric business and wanted wholesalers to list pre-cut yardage only, with impossible shipping deadlines for fabric.

Wow. I hate that.

I still need a ton of satin fabric for decorating my wife's meditation room. Any suggestions for retailers?

I've been asking her to browse and pick colors for months now. Maybe I just don't have to do it any more, although it bugs me as an unfinished project.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The horizontal pattern is excellent! Great job.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ms. Frizzle takes the kids to Pizza Planet.

(it's cool and good).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Killingyouguy! posted:

I successfully hemmed my shower curtain so it doesn't drag a huge pile of fabric along the shower floor :shobon: it's really not a straight line (idk how machine sewing a straight line is so difficult for me) but also it's not really that noticeable.

I've never put machine sewing to a visible use in my home before because I'm still not very confident in my ability and I don't want to waste fabric practicing, so this is pretty exciting for me

I used a lot of seam tape and chalk lines.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That's so cool! Great use of vintage materials. Real escaping the ravages of the war in style vibe.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Whenever I shop for a shirt or jacket and it's in androgynous shop or area of the shop I generally check the button layer to confirm if it's cut masculine or feminine. There some serious muscle memory for me since I wear a button up shirt probably 90% of the days, an opposite side shirt would be a little confusion everytime.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Take a look at portable volleyball nets perhaps. They use three guy wires. Of course, the wind load on a net is much different than a screen.

I think I'd design it with grommets at the corners as suggested and hem in steel rods on the top and bottom so it will hang straight without sags and the sort of crease and waviness that comes from that. You could then hang it from the center on a pole and guy down the corners as needed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Does anyone have good resources for costumes for Halloween? I want to sew one up this year. Mens in particular which seems to be under served overall.

You'd think I might start with a costume I wanted but I wanna do it the way we did when I was a kid and pick something and (have my mom, now me) make it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How much effort are you willing to put in? Cholyknight has some free patterns for turning a hoodie into a costume:

https://cholyknight.com/accessories/

And a paid pattern for making one from scratch with more options:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/515492512/unisex-mens-relaxed-cosplay-hoodie

(It shouldn't be too hard to imagine how to adapt that into different characters.)

And if you're more confident in your sewing and want something more sophisticated, try stuff like this: https://simplicity.com/costume-patterns/

I feel like you can also have good results looking for PDF patterns on Etsy. Note that you'll need to get them printed on wide-format paper, but this is a pretty cheap and available service these days. (You *can* glue them together from individual printer paper sheets, if you're a masochist.)

Try a search like this: https://www.etsy.com/ca/search?q=halloween+costume+sewing+pattern+mens+pdf

Or search more specifically for the costume you want. Jedi and Vikings are pretty popular and easy to find.

If you're still just browsing and looking for inspiration, I think those links should get you started.

Thank you so much! That helps a lot. I'm a weirdo and I've not made clothes yet so idk how hard I want to start out with. I did sew a couch, from the cushions to a scratch built frame and it came out just fine, so I have the ability to join fabric together accurately, however I know I don't know a lot about how clothes fit a body and lots of techniques outside of piping. But it's Halloween so if it's janky it'll be fine. I just want my date to say wow you did this!?

Also I do have a lot of confidence from other skills that could be considered unearned confidence but it seems like it works out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Update: through chance I was able to offload the materials for this to my mom and she said it took her hours just to square the raw material. She ended up mounting the entire piece onto her quilting rack and rolled it back and forth to line it up to trim it down.

I'm sure I could have managed something on my own but I think her finished product is going to look way better than anything I could have done. I just don't have all the tools she has.

Oh hey I thought of you last weekend, we borrowed an outdoor projection screen. It was two vertical poles and a top pole, the screen just stretched out from there. I made some curtains for one of my bedrooms as a room divider with EMT conduit and I would say that could be a great frame if you needed. Cheap as hell, 1/2" 10' long is $5. I think larger sizes are still pretty cheap. Bends easy tho.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Wow that looks like a great way to sew your thumb.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I'm hosting an outdoor party in early December. I'd like to offer guests some kind of warm-wear as they arrive but it needs to be one-size-fits-most, inexpensive (less than $10 each) and as close to no-sew as possible (I have a machine, but I'm also a bit short on time, and I'm not highly skilled.) I'm thinking about a basic poncho - a fleece throw with a hole in the middle and some seam binding around the neck. But I'm not a personal fan of wearing ponchos, so I would rather have some kind of front closure.

Can I just get a throw blanket (or use a thrift-store comforter as my fabric, something to get me a roughly throw-sized material piece), cut a hole in the center, cut from neck to hem (starting at the corner, maybe, so it has some style), and then attach a zipper or buttons or frogs or something? That feels like it would look really cheap and I'd like this to have some re-wear value for people, even if just as a TV-on-the-couch thing.

I'm massively overthinking this, I know.

You've already got a fun idea with thrifting, for the time it takes to secure material you could get a bunch of oversized jackets and blankets from thrift stores.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hey I'm doing a silly project, leather wrapping a video game steering wheel. I'm poorboying it with cheap leather, watching YouTube.

I have a few outstanding questions maybe yall can help with. I should just have one seam, at the base or the wheel or top of the wheel. I am concerned about getting my seams to lay flat. I am planning on doing a normal seam and topstitch it on each side with bias tape behind.

Also in going to glue it to the wheel and hand stitch around the inside of the rim. I think that'll all come through fine.

I'd like to put a centerline on the top in contrasting material but I don't have much confidence yet on it, so for now, no. Is it easy to dye a scrap of leather? If it's already been dyed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Eeyo posted:

Alright finished product.

I didn't have a good plan for the handles or how to attach them. Just sewed a long piece with a zigzag stitch and tucked it inside out. Then I stuck it inside the binding and stitched over it a couple times. I think I'll have to study how tote bags are made and figure out a better handle method.

As a first attempt at sewing something it turned out pretty good. I might work on a version two and fix the problems I ran into.

Hey not bad! I'd just have the handled stitched inside the lip with a big box shape of stitching. Checking tote bags is a great idea for inspiration.

Make another with brown material and a zig zag top so it looks like a paper bag.