Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
I just wanted to post and say that you guys have inspired me to sign up for a local sewing class (I'm retarded and need someone to show it to me). I'm excited. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

RedFish posted:

I'm jealous. I've been searching for local sewing classes in my area (Kitchener-Wterloo Ontario) with no luck; I'm not even sure where I should be looking. Google is not getting me anywhere.

Any ideas?
I'm really lucky to live in a big city (Chicago), so Google turned up a thread on Yelp about where to find sewing lessons in the city, and there were multiple great recommendations. I'd check on Yelp (or if there's another site that is geared towards that type of thing) maybe, or other city-specific sites/forums.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
So, I finally had my beginning sewing class today. It was a 4-hour long class that taught me every facet of the sewing machine and how to make a basic pillow. It was loving awesome. I had a lot of fun, learned so much, and had a great time meeting the few other people who were there. And my pillow loving rules. I don't care how simple it is--you guys have to look at it anyway.

I plan to take a basic alterations class next. Then, onto making poo poo!

seriouslywtf fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 24, 2008

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Space Poodle posted:

It is simple, but you did a good job with the angle on that fabric.
Thanks! I even put in a zipper on the bottom, which I'm pretty proud of.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

squirrellypoo posted:

poo poo! That's pretty hardcore for a beginning sewing class, well done! I was going to ask if it was an envelope flap-style or just sealed up, but I didn't think you'd be doing a zipper so soon! :)

The pillow looks great, and it sounds like they got you super excited to go out and try other things, which is exactly what you need starting out. I'd suggest picking up a simple A-linke skirt pattern (something like this maybe?) for your next project if you fancy it (and since you're such a whizz with ye olde zippers!).

Yeah, I just tried to make another pillow on my own at home last night (I have a sewing machine that someone gave me a few years ago) and the zipper was a little more jacked up this time. :P But it was still okay. I really need a zipper foot for my machine.

I picked up a simple A-line pattern and hope to try to jack that one up this weekend too. ;)

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Seriously, that is awesome. I love every part of it.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
This isn't all that exciting, but I put a zipper into an (originally) zipperless hoodie from Threadless.

I just left the raw edges exposed, for no real reason except that I felt like it and didn't want to mess with the front design too much by folding them back.

I also just finished my first commercial dress pattern and although it's not perfect, I'm pretty proud of it. Pics later when I get a chance to actually take them.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Okay, here it is (pre-pressing). Be gentle.

It needs to be fitted a little better on the bottom and I am not 100% satisfied with how I did the lining, but it's alright. ;) I don't mind it, for my first major project.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

squirrellypoo posted:

GORGEOUS! It fits you like a dream and that satin is just SO lush. Great job lining up those darts at the waist, too! Did you use a pattern? (I just want to know so I can buy it :) )
Thank you. :) Yes, I used a pattern. It's this one:
http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8184.htm

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Sorry for whoring so much on page 8 here. I just made this today on a random whim, because I was trying to figure out what to do with this houndstooth skirt I got from a thrift store that didn't fit me. So, I turned it into a (lined) messenger bag with a felt applique of an oldschool floppy disk.

The bag happens to fit my laptop, which seems strangely appropriate.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
I actually have kind of an odd question (or at least I think it's odd). For those of you who use patterns for stuff, do you save them for use again in the future? If so, do you just fold them back up and stick them somewhere, or what? With the paper being so thin and delicate, it seems like it would get worn out/torn/etc. pretty easily.

It just occurred to me that if I'm gonna be spending $7-15 on a pattern, I might want to actually save it and use it again one day. Just a random thought, really.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Check out these badass pillows I made for my dad's birthday:

He loved them.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

boscokitty posted:

Are they schnauzers or scottie dogs? Either way, really cute. I bet he did love them.
They're schnauzers! I just drew it based off of a profile photo I found online. I'm a terrible drawer so I'm glad it turned out semi-recognizable.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Not an Anthem posted:

Goldaline, your poo poo is ridiculous, do you have an online portfolio to look through? Very awesome.

Agreed. Beautiful, and clearly painstaking work.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Nione, perhaps you could use a washable linen? Or if you're not totally married to it being washable, a nicer linen? I think that would make an awesome lightweight summer type dress that would also work in an outdoor wedding.

Edit: Oh, and I've used Fabric.com multiple times now with good results.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Beautiful work, Goldaline. I wish I could get into quilting.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
I am obsessed with this vintage pattern from Butterick that I found last night. I am going to make the black & white version as a test run, and then go nuts with other colors in the future if it doesn't turn out too weird.

Obsessed.

That is all.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

squirrellypoo posted:

I've heard it needs a stupid amount of bias tape, though, so stock up at the store or get yourself a bias tape maker in preparation!
Yeah, it says on the back to buy like three packages of bias tape, so I'm mentally prepared. ;)

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

logorrhea posted:

Oh my god- are you me?
Haha. Glad someone else is getting into it too! I cut the fabric for mine last week but had to go on a business trip, so no chance to sew it yet. I'm just doing the black & white one from the front of the pattern since I think it's so chic, but I'll probably make it again with crazier patterns in the future.

-------

In other news, I made this really simple (but really flattering, IMO) twist-front dress a couple weeks ago:

I used a Butterick pattern and it was ridiculously easy, except for the insanely stretchy fabric I chose to use. Still, it turned out well.

It's not nearly as impressive as those jeans, though. ;)

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

bornon328 posted:

Very nice job, especially since you used stretch fabric. What was it?
It's this super drapey poly/rayon jersey material. Great to wear, huge pain in the rear end to sew. This poo poo can stretch like more than twice its original length.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
I was waiting at a bus stop to go home from Chicago Pride 2008 today (woo!) and a girl stopped me to say how much she loved my dress and wanted to know where I got it. I took great pleasure in telling her that I made it, and she almost flipped. It was great.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Oh, I love the Charilie & the Chocolate Factory skirt. That one is fab.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
I kind of like darts. :(

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Here's a gathered pencil skirt that I just finished up. It's just like a normal pencil skirt, but I lengthened the two front side panels so that I could gather them. I only lengthened them by 30% or so and probably ought to have gone 50%, but it still turned out well. (I live life on the edge and don't make stuff with muslins first.)

RedFish posted:

Question: How much 'ease' is factored into patterns? I've yet to make something based on my waist measurements that didn't feel like a tent once I put it on, and require several inches to be taken in.
I have the same experience, but I always just kind of accept that whatever I'm making is going to have to be tailored anyway so I don't mind. But yeah, it's always way too large in the waist, now that I think about it.

seriouslywtf fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 9, 2008

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

LasterTrain posted:

Is there somewhere to learn sewing? Is it offered as an adult education class somewhere? Are there classes offered by manufacturers? Can I appretice somewhere to learn?
I just looked on Yelp and found a tiny local business near me run by a couple of kickass ladies who teach sewing classes. Also if you have a JoAnn's near you, they do sewing classes as well. They may suck overall for fabrics, but you can probably learn some beginner skills that way if there isn't some other alternative nearby.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Bumping this thread so I can showcase my most recently-completed project. I made this coat out of some fabric I got on eBay for super cheap. It's a cotton-poly houndstooth weave and the perfect weight for a coat. I also used a grape-colored lining for the inside. Here it is:

This is the first time I made actual buttonholes too, so I'm pretty proud of that.

Here it is actually on me.

:) :) :)

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

squirrellypoo posted:

That looks AWESOME. You've done such a good job on it! I'm not sure what you meant by the buttonholes, are they bound?

I started working on my first winter coat in July as part of The Great Coat Sew Along that like 100 people on the internet are doing but I completely lost all momentum on it and now am really bored with the whole thing. But I've put so much expense into that I really just need to suck it up and work on it instead of making lots of quick, pretty, and fun projects that take my whim. But that's mostly because I'm a really impatient sewer...

So therefore I'm also jealous that you've completed yours!
You know, I wasn't even aware of the Great Coat Sew Along until like, last week. I feel so out of touch.

Thank you for your kind comments. ;) No, the buttonholes aren't bound (I'm not that badass yet) but the original pattern called for them to be sewn on the outside and for snaps to be sewn on the inside. I thought that was lame, so I made them "real" buttons instead.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
I swear I'm not trying to take over the thread; I just happen to have finished a small handful of projects at the same time. I made this skirt last weekend based on a pattern I drafted myself, although it has now been brought to my attention that it is strikingly similar to the Kasia skirt at BurdaStyle, so that's kind of depressing. :saddowns: Just kiddin'. I'm still happy with it.

It's a high-waisted A-line skirt with a kangaroo pocket. The fabric is a 100% silk herringbone weave with very subtle purple pinstripes. The buttons are also a dark purple. I got them 50% off at JoAnn's during their crazy weekend sale last weekend.

Here's the skirt on me. There must be something about how I'm standing that makes it look like a pencil skirt with fins, but I swear it's not really like that. ;)

That's all! I'm in love with this skirt. It's definitely one of my new favorite items in my wardrobe. In fact, I'm wearing it right now!

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
I just wanted to post here to vent my frustration. I had a pile of fabric on the floor, some of it neatly folded and some not, just waiting to be organized. Then I went on a business trip for a week. I came back and everything seemed to be fine, but just now I was organizing that fabric finally, and it turns out that my cats PEED ON IT. I assume it's because they were pissed at me (no pun intended) for going away, I dunno.

Some of it is washable, but some isn't. And even then, I washed this one fabric three times and it still stinks of cat piss. I had to throw it out along with a bunch of other stuff that was un-saveable.

UGHHHHAHDSFLKSJF:SLKDFJL:KAJDSALS:D!*#@&(*.

:emo:

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

squirrellypoo posted:

purple wool sweater
I made a top out of this pattern as well! I (personally) wasn't super impressed with it, but it turned out well, technically speaking.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

squirrellypoo posted:

Really? It's a pretty new pattern so I think I'm the only review of it on Pattern Review - you should consider posting on there if you don't already, it's really helpful for feedback as well as figuring out which patterns to buy.

The only thing I was disappointed by was that the tech drawing was misleading in the collar area. I really like the end result and I've worn mine tons in the past few weeks (it doesn't hurt that it's wool and therefore REALLY warm, too). What didn't you like about it?

Yep, I just double checked the pattern envelope to be sure, and it's Burda 7724, just like yours. I got it a month or so ago from the website.

I think I just don't like how it falls on me, I dunno. It's not super flattering for me, personally. I'll probably try to give it to someone. ;)

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

TinuvielDancing posted:

I have been browsing some of the websites that sell fabric that are linked in the OP. The only fabric store that I am familiar with in my area is Hancocks, and I know their stuff is not the highest quality. I am a little nervous buying fabric online though since I won't be able to see or feel it. Any suggestions for judging the quality of fabric online? Is price a sufficient indicator?
They still cost some money, but you can always order swatches from various online stores. Some swatches are cheaper than others, but if you're nervous about spending $$$ on fabric, spending a dollar on a swatch is a safe way to find out what the fabric is like first.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Okay guys, I'm putting aside my pride (heh) and coming to you for advice. I've done a couple of lined coats now and they have turned out very well, except I keep running into this issue no matter how hard I try not to. I seem to be attaching the lining to the coat at the bottom in a way that ultimately makes the coat hang funny when worn. I've attempted to do this while it's on a dressform so it's not losing shape while I sew, and I've attempted to allow the lining a lot of give while sewing it, and yet I keep running into this issue.

Does anyone have any tips for what the hell I can do to avoid this problem? I suppose I could just NOT attach the lining at the bottom and just hem it by itself, but if there's some tip someone has, I'm all ears.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
So, I finally got around to setting up the serger I got for Christmas. That thing is a motherfucking bitch to thread.

That is all.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
The eyes are the craziest/best part of that skirt. I like it.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Thanks to some encouragement from the ladies in IRC, here are a handful of projects I have finished recently:

(^^ that's an ottoman)

I have another coat that I made that I'm really proud of, but I want to take a new picture of it before posting, because the only picture I have is pretty wrinkly.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Thanks guys! My cats love the ottoman too... they have pretty much decided it's theirs and spend all day on it.

Here's the coat I mentioned in the last post. The fabric is a 100% wool melton and the lining is a 100% cotton print that I got on sale.

Here's the back:

Up close:

Lining:

There are a lot of imperfections about this coat that have frustrated me (for one, I still feel it hangs a little funny in the front, which you can't really see very well in my lovely first picture) and it buttons a little snugly on the bust, forcing it to pull a little around the rest of the bust area. But I am still really proud of this coat and people out in the world tend to like it a lot.

And yes, I made each of those roses by hand. ;)

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Celluloid posted:

Where did you get the Vespa fabric? Do you have a link where I can buy some online?
I bought it from a local shop, they have an online store at Etsy. Here's the color I got and here's a kind of magenta one. It's by Kokka Echino Nico so you can probably Google and try to find it elsewhere too.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

McDougirl posted:

That coat is amazing, and I am super impressed with those roses. If you had posted that in the ladies fashion thread, and said it was Valentino or something, I sure would have believed you.
Wow, quite the compliment! Thank you, though there's a lot that could be improved upon. Second time's a charm?

courtney_beth posted:

How did you do that. Seriously. I would love to make one of my own. Amazing.
I actually just took a class on upholstery (if you look on the door in that image, it says "student work") and that project we did was to make an ottoman from scratch and the upholster it. Not a ton of sewing, but lots and lots of stapling and hammering. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

moana posted:

I'd be very interested in a write-up of how you did this and with what material (what kind of wood/steel did you use for the frame, etc). It's so freaking cool!
The quick & dirty is that we just built a square frame out of plywood boards from home depot, and nailed on a solid wood platform on the bottom. From there, we attached upholstery webbing with the staple guns (just Google for it) crisscrossed. This is to act as springs (in fact, it turns out that not all furniture uses springs--much of it uses webbing like this) and hold up the foam. We cut pieces of foam to put on top of the webbing. Then we basically draped the fabric over the top and pinned it along the corners so we knew exactly where to sew, pulled the fabric off, sewed the corner seams, and put it back on over the top. Then we flipped over the entire thing and worked on stapling the bottom of the fabric to the flat plywood on the bottom. In our class, we also attached piping at the bottom, so we went around and did that too. Then we stapled cardboard strips to the edges to keep the piping flat. THEN we stapled that black webbing fabric (I don't know what it's called) over all of that on the bottom. Finally, we drilled holes for each of the legs and then screwed in the leg plates, then the legs.

Voila!