Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Celluloid posted:

Awesome! They're local for me too!
Oh, good. You should definitely go there then, because they loving rock. It's a privately owned business and the owner (Rachel Epperson) is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
^^ That is totally badass. Nice find.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

no.no.notorious posted:

ha! yeah, they are. but once you get it threaded the whole way, the next time you want to change the color of the thread, cut the thread before it winds into the machine hooks, tie the new thread, then pull the old one. the knot rarely gets caught in the machine and you've saved yourself probably about 20 minutes of frustration
Holy poo poo. You are a genius. Thanks for that tip; I never would have thought of it on my own.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

DeliciousDarkness posted:

These are all my work and my designs. The knits, crochets, embroidery, beading, patternmaking, sewing, etc, all my work. The dark looks were for my senior collection for school last year... I won "Best Construction." I won "Best Eveningwear" for the white look. There's more pics on my MySpace Feel free to drool a little ;)

*edit: if anyone has corsetry questions I'd be glad to help out.
Sweet, sweet eye candy.

Nice work!

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Ashcans posted:

Can anyone suggest a place to buy some plain grey wool fabric? I swear that I've looked everywhere I can think of and I just can't seem to find any regular, plain grey. It's really frustrating because its about the dullest and most regular thing I can think of, and no one seems to stock any.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for, but of course these guys (the only people I've found so far) are sold out and don't expect to get more.

Maybe my search abilities are just terrible.
Are you specifically looking for a wool suiting (like the one you linked), or just any gray wool? What weight are you hoping to find, I guess is my question.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Ashcans posted:

I'm looking for wool suiting, yes. To explain, I'm trying my hand at making a suit using a pattern I rustled up. I live in Georgia, so a light or medium weight is probably best.
I found these two that sorta fit what you're looking for:

http://www.gorgeousfabrics.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=5633

http://www.gorgeousfabrics.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6429

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

RichBomb posted:

Courtesy of the Salvation Army, $27

It's a Singer 66-16, and it's wonderful. The wiring is hosed but from spinning the wheel I can tell it's going to sew very well.

One of my writers found one of these this weekend at a flea market and asked me if I wanted him to get it for me, but I turned him down because he said it was rusty and he wasn't sure if it worked. It looks so sexy, though. ;) Jealous.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Warning: big sewing project dump incoming.

I haven't posted my stuff in here for a while so here are a few things I've finished since the last time I updated.

Linen tulip skirt:

Along those same lines, a tulip dress (this one is still in progress):

Ruched purple pencil skirt:

A kimono-style dress out of bamboo jersey:

I don't really have any name for this dress:

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Ashcans posted:

I also think this is very neat, the effect is really interesting. How long is the dress?

Can I ask what tailor's dummy you're using? I've looked at a few half-heartedly, but the reviews for all of them seem seriously bipolar, when I can find them.
Thanks. The dress is about knee length. The dressform is just one of the cheapo ones from Singer that you can find on JoAnn's website or Amazon.com. A family member got it for me for Christmas, so that's what I use.

madlilnerd posted:

That looks so comfortable but smart enough to get away with at work. What's bamboo like to work with? Does it have a similar feel to cotton, or is it slippery?
Bamboo jersey really soft and it's pretty much like any other jersey you might find. I guess you could say it's like a supersoft cotton jersey, or rayon jersey, or maybe a mix between the two. I personally love it because it's so freakin' soft, and it feels nice and cool on the skin (I have a different dress that I made out of bamboo jersey that I wear all the time for this reason).

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Do you wear the tulip skirt/dress? I always liked the look of them but I made myself one and it made my hips look ridiculous.

Also that last dress is glorious. Pleating makes me tingle.
The tulip dress is still in progress so I haven't been able to wear it yet, but I wore the skirt last week:

I wouldn't say it was the "easiest" skirt to wear, but it went relatively well. ;)

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Ferretten posted:

This is lovely. Are you selling these or anything?
In fact, I am selling those now. If you're interested, PM me?

(P.S. Your jewelry is awesome.)

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Ferretten posted:

Thanks!
I don't have PMs unfortunately, what size is the skirt? How much are you selling it for? Mail me at nihilisticferret at gmail dot com
e-mail sent!

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
If you find yourself in Chicago and you need a duct tape dressform but are too lazy or don't have a second person to do it, The Needle Shop has begun offering it as a service (according to their latest newsletter, anyway). It's $80 but you just have to make an appointment and they'll make one for you right there. Kinda' cool if you want one but don't have the manpower or time to do it yourself.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
I've made similar stuff (laptop sleeves) and just used a really heavy interfacing fabric in the middle. I once tried to reinforce with cardboard cutouts similar to what you want to do with the plastic, but those never really worked out the way I wanted them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

combee posted:

I want to make the infamous Bjork swan dress for a party:

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

That is the cutest loving thing I have ever seen.