Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004

Strelnikov posted:

What kind of a machine do you have?

If it's a normal straight stitch type, the easiest way to gather is to set it to the longest stitch you can, loosen the needle tension, and sew two parallel rows of stitches about 1/4" apart without lockstitching either end. Then you pull the needle thread to gather the fabric as tightly as you want it, pin it in place, readjust your machine settings back to normal, sew the skirt on the same way you would a normal seam, and pull out the gathering threads.

What's the point of the 2 parallel rows? Are you pulling on both rows to make the gather, or just one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
thanks so much. I hit a standstill last night. Working on my first real sewing project making St. Patrick's Day outfits for my girls.

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
I'm probably going to be heading to barnes and nobles next week to look for some explanation sewing books. I'll look for that one. I don't have much more to do on one pair of pants and still have a full skirt to make (possibly some scrunchies too, since they are so young). I would LOVE to make me some skirts and dresses, but that scares me. I think I'm going to start by altering t-shirts. I like the girl-fitted t's, but I prefer them a bit longer than you can buy them. :shrug:

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
That is great seriouslywtf. I am working my way up to sewing my own clothes. Right now though I'm starting with the kid's stuff. Once I can do their clothes flawlessly I will move up.