Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
hello all!

I both knit and sew (although I sew pretty terribly) and I've made various scarves, hats, etc. My favorite project recently was sewing an iPhone case that looked like an iPhone for my then-bf for St. Nick's. My most recent project was making a laptop case for my new Macbook so it doesn't get ruined.

How I made it:
I had a dress lying around that I never wore anymore, and some yellow yarn I hadn't used yet. I took the dress, cut it up, took a tapestry needle and sewed it up into a rectangle. I then took the buttons from the back of the dress and used it to make a closure.
It's pretty poorly made and there are uneven stitches, runaway pieces of fabric.

But I must've done something right because I have gotten so many compliments on it from strangers and the people who work the Genius Bar at the Apple store.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can even out the stitches for the next one? I'm making it for a friend, and if I can, I'd like to turn this project into a potential moneymaker (I'm a poor college student!). I'm also looking into printing something on it. Would a stencil and that jacquard fabric paint work, do you think?

I really like this thread; I grew up with a mom who loved making things. She has a sewing machine, a serger, a knitting machine, a sock machine, and she has a walk-in closet plus a cabinet full of yarn and one of those white plastic dressers full of knitting needles. She's insane, and I think it's passed onto me.

district 12 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

DeliciousDarkness posted:

You can use a "C-Thru" ruler (clear with gridded measurements printed on it, C-Thru is the brand) and mark each place where the needle will go through (Like every 1/4" or 1/8" ). Personally I'd go about 1/4"-3/8" away from the raw edge, with a stitch at every 1/8". If you want to sell these things though, I'd advise you to learn to use a machine. Whereas it would probably take you at least an hour by hand, with a machine you could sew this in less than five minutes. Although if you just are doing it for fun and don't care if you're working for sweatshop wages, then I guess it doesn't really matter.

Cool thread. I've been handsewing since I was little, and machine sewing for about 12 years. Knitting and crocheting for about 2 years. Now I'm in my last semester going for my BFA in Fashion Design, and working on my awesome senior collection which is full of steel-boned corsets and hoopskirts (and a little bit of handknits) XD.

Oh no worries, I know how to use a sewing machine, I like to think there is charm from the yarn stitching, and you can't really use yarn in a machine :) I'll look into the ruler though! I think my mom has one, maybe I could borrow it. It did take me about an hour to cut and sew, but I definitely wouldn't be mass-producing these things. I'd probably sell them on etsy or to friends by request. I think the more I do, the more I'll get a technique and be able to churn them out neater and (maybe) faster.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Goldaline posted:

Hey ladies and gents! I'm excited we have a sewing thread now.

I'm a Crafts/Fibers major at the moment, so I'm pretty constantly sewing--most of my stuff is not really wearable or practical at all though. In fact it's largely awfully uncomfortable. But I love it, I'm one of the only students in my major that do garments at all, everyone else does sculpture or objects or what not. Boo.

Anyway. Some stuff from this semester:

Experiment in creating constructed surfaces with fabric.

words cannot express how much I love that. if you ever want to sell it pleeeease let me know I would wear it everyday!!

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Google Embryo posted:

I have a question for knitters. What do any of you know about knitting something that's supposed to be on dpns like socks on two circular needles instead? I got the SnB day calendar for Christmas and today's useful tip mentions something about it. I HATE dpns and would love to do away with them forever if possible! Has anyone tried this method?

From what little I know, if something is knit on dpns, it's because it's supposed to be a lot tighter and smaller. Circular needles are rather large and clunky and for something like, mittens or gloves, it'd be better to use dpns just because they're smaller. I might be mixing them up though so hopefully someone else chimes in.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I posted this in the Ladies' thread in W&W, so sorry if you see this twice.

So for my 3d Concepts class we had to take containers and make a volumetric shape out of them. Inspired by Martin Margiela's artisanal collection (via Goldaline's post in the runway thread), I decided to use magic stretch gloves to make a skirt.

The end result is something I'm really pleased with! I plan on replacing the sewing machine needle I broke, reinforcing some of the seams and totally wearing this out. I've never sewn something to completion before (just tidied up holes in my old shirts and whatnot) but this was actually really easy. I want to make more clothes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Thanks guys!! :)