Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cherry Hammer
Jan 31, 2005

what's a cherry hammer?

Gonktastic posted:

Wonderful, thanks!

Anybody have suggestions for replacing coat buttons. I bought a trench coat and a wool coat for the winter and both of them have already lost a button. I noticed that they're pretty different than regular button sewing- looser and not as close to the actual fabric. I'd prefer not to go to a tailor...

1) Knot the thread on the reverse side, pulling the needle through to the outside.
2) Slide the button onto the thread, into place.
3) Place a toothpick on top of the button holes.
4) Stitch over the toothpick, sewing the button on as normal.
5) ???
6) Remove toothpick.
7) Profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cherry Hammer
Jan 31, 2005

what's a cherry hammer?

Pegacorn posted:

Do you guys think this is a good business idea?

I like to buy weird stuff at thriftstores and piece it together to make really cool stuff, so I was thinking I could start a fun side business where people send me thriftstore finds and tell me what they want (dress, pants, whatever), send me an item of clothing in their closet that fits them really well, and then I could make them cool clothes using the measurements of their item of clothing they sent me. That was kind of long winded and complicated. But basically they send me cool fabrics and I made clothes for them, but it's cheap thrift stuff so it will be cheaper for them than dressmaking from scratch.

I could advertise on etsy and craftster, maybe try to get on a few blogs after I have some samples made?

My other idea is to skip all that stuff and just make cute pajamas and stuff out of vintage fabrics and sell them without dealing with the custom part of it.

What do you think?

Sounds good, but I would not have people send you a garment. That seems like a headache in the making and a bit of a liability.

I would maximize your exposure by selling ready-to-wear garments on Ebay with a link to your Etsy and Craftster pages, where you could sell custom pieces.

Invest time or money in a good diagram of how your customers should measure themself, and start a PayPal business account.

Don't sell your services short and run a smart business and you will have fun. :)

edit: hurr... I do think having people send fabric or pieces to be customized is a good idea; but having them send you something just to take its measurements is not a good idea.

Cherry Hammer
Jan 31, 2005

what's a cherry hammer?
If you're sewing on a machine, the easiest way is to do an inch of forward stitch, an inch backwards, and then back forwards.

From there, you can "wiggle" the thread on the side you sewed on, until you see the thread from the other side. Then pull the backside's thread through and knot the two ends together.