Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pegacorn
Apr 21, 2005

by Fragmaster

Z Is Overrated posted:

I'm glad this thread came up, because I've been interested in learning how to sew, even if I am too lazy to go out and get a machine.

In the meantime, though, I've been knitting this scarf to give to my father. It's my first cabling project, and I'm pretty excited about how well it's coming out. (That picture's not so great, here's the one that's used in the pdf.)

By the way, is anyone else here on Ravelry? It's kinda like a pattern/yarn manager, but you can also see what everyone else is doing with their yarn and projects. I didn't think it'd be that interesting when I first joined, but now it's taking up a pretty big chunk of my day.

Can a girl get an invite to Ravelry?

Is anyone on Iqons.com? I'm on there! It's for fashiony people in all areas of the arts. It's kind of awesome. I can browse the 15 minutes of fame section for hours.

Edit: Oooh, and can we talk about dress forms? Ebay and Craigslist are two places to look, but they can be a little expensive. Any other places?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegacorn
Apr 21, 2005

by Fragmaster
Do you guys think this is a good business idea?

I like to buy weird stuff at thriftstores and piece it together to make really cool stuff, so I was thinking I could start a fun side business where people send me thriftstore finds and tell me what they want (dress, pants, whatever), send me an item of clothing in their closet that fits them really well, and then I could make them cool clothes using the measurements of their item of clothing they sent me. That was kind of long winded and complicated. But basically they send me cool fabrics and I made clothes for them, but it's cheap thrift stuff so it will be cheaper for them than dressmaking from scratch.

I could advertise on etsy and craftster, maybe try to get on a few blogs after I have some samples made?

My other idea is to skip all that stuff and just make cute pajamas and stuff out of vintage fabrics and sell them without dealing with the custom part of it.

What do you think?

Pegacorn
Apr 21, 2005

by Fragmaster

Etoniichuan posted:

I don't know how to cross stitch, but I hear it is easy. The biggest obstacle that is preventing me from learning is the patterns they have at various stores. Doing a ducky, or the 'cutest wittle angel' pretty much turns me off. Is there a probram or something where I can take simple pictures or wording in different fonts and turn them into a usable pattern?

They have plain white grid stuff at the craft store, and then I think you can color it so you know what colors to do where. Check out craftster.org and do a search on cross stitching. A lot of people make up their own patterns and there are probably some tutorials on it.

Pegacorn
Apr 21, 2005

by Fragmaster

boscokitty posted:

I just watched my mom make a t-shirt quilt for someone, and I would definitely say pay the pro to do it, but ask to see some examples of their work first. (Well, that's true of anything you're paying someone else to do.)

For one thing, the knits are very slippy to work with, and some of the thicker printing on the t-shirts was hard to quilt through. It was hard enough to keep the t-shirt material straight for piecing, and they were big pieces - baby clothes will mean smaller and more pieces to sew together. My 2 cents.

Yea, those jersey knits, especially the slinky ones, are very hard to work with. They just slide all over the place. Now if you have a serger you can work with them much more easily.