Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papermastermind
May 25, 2005

I make for a salty appetizer!
Guys can sew, too! :mad:

I've dropped around 40 pounds in the past 3-4 months and have reached around my ideal weight, so I'm ready to get into actually having a wardrobe of clothes. Thing is, now that I actually care about what I wear and I'm not a fatty, buying shirts is a nightmare. My shoulders are huge and my chest is around 45 inches, while my waist comes down to about 34. So if I wear a large shirt, it'll fit my shoulders/chest, but drape down and look terrible below. Mediums fit great at the waist, but suction onto my chest. It's very hard to find a fitting shirt, since most store-bought stuff is straight cut. Even tapered, most shirts are still too big. It's that extra "baggage" that hangs around my back that is my downfall.

I've been attempting to tailor my owns shirts for a few months now, and I haven't had a whole lot of success. I generally just sew down the side seam. Thing is, if I get it to form to my body (not be skin tight, but not have it be all loose and baggy around), it's ALWAYS too tight in the chest and the front in general (on a button up shirt, when I sit, the buttons get all scrunched up). I've discovered it's because, in sewing down the side seam, material is take from both the front and back of the shirt. I only need to take it from the back.

Are darts the solution? Aren't they meant for women's shirts? I've always wondered how darts work, anyway, because doesn't having that random seam down the back of your shirt look kinda bad? I honestly don't know, though, because I can't say that I've ever actually seen a dart (or maybe I have).

If darts are the solution, I was thinking that I should just re-do the side seam to get a general fit everywhere, then make the darts to accentuate my back > waist.

Any advice would be great :D

papermastermind fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 9, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papermastermind
May 25, 2005

Was also wondering: on button-up shirts that are unfinished at the bottom (rise up at the sides), is there any way to make the material even up when putting in a dart? I know you're suppose to tuck them in anyway, but I don't want to wear every shirt tucked in.

papermastermind
May 25, 2005

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some sewing books, more specifically on tailoring/fitting clothes. I posted a while back about having nightmare/back shoulders (10 inch chest/waist difference) that cause nothing to fit from mid-back and below. I'll probably run to my local library and just see what they have, but if anyone's got some specific recommendatons I wouldn't mind dropping a few dollars into learning :)

papermastermind
May 25, 2005

There's a fine young lass that i've been seeing that i'd love to make a dress for. I'm very proficient in my sewing machine technique, as I've worked a lot with my own clothing, but i simply have no idea how to make a dress. As usual, the internet is a fairly mediocre resource for sewing (I guess all the sewing knowledge is stuck in 20 generations of tailors). Are there some books that I can pick up at Borders/Barnes & Noble or even the library that would guide me in the right direction?

For reference as far as colors/patterns, she has black hair and black eyes, a fairly dark complexion (hispanic), and is beautiful in a "classy" way, if that makes sense. If anyone specifically wants to help i can send some pictures (AIM is the same as my username).

And every time I've skimmed over the ladies' fashion thread (IN BOREDOM OKAY), I've always loved this dress, and I know she'd love something like it: