Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Goldaline posted:

I am the Gay Ice Skate Man!

That's really amazing! You are giving me inspiration to go beyond hemming my pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Goldaline posted:

It's really not difficult to work with I think just very different! I use a combo of Pellon 542, EZ Steam and spray adhesive to keep everything together and stable...I'm hoping soon to do some video tutorials on it, I finally got a camera capable of video.

Ooh, please do some video tutorials. I need to make a few headbands/elbow cuffs (I can't find anything small enough) in spandex and wicking fabric and that would be great to see!

Also you are an absolutely amazing artist!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Is there a sewing machine that is made with hemming small diameters in mind? I got a Singer 4432 Heavy Duty on steep sale from Amazon 2 years ago but I never use it anymore to hem my pants. It's just too tricky trying to keep the fabric straight when I have to readjust it every 1/2 inch.

I really, really just want something I can put a pants leg on and sew around the leg hem without having to try to make the circle flat. Does that exist?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

there wolf posted:

Yeah, just look for something with a free/removable arm. It's a common feature on budget machines.

Ah ha! Now I know what to search for. And my current machine may do that (conflicting reports, I'll have to check it myself). Thanks for the help!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yes, discovered that my machine can do I what I wish it could have done all along! You all are so helpful.

Now to get through my backlog of pants.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bingo Bango posted:

PSA: If you're sewing face masks, don't forget to pre-wash your fabric.

I ended up with a poo poo-ton of quilting cotton leftovers from my mom and decided to whip up some masks, not stopping to consider if any of it had been pre-washed. It had not and now I have a comically small mask.

How comically small? Child-sized? I ask for myself, who is the size of an average 11-year old and for whom adult-sized masks don't really fit.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Please sell masks! Or post people who are doing good work.

Otherwise I have to try to solve this mess on my limited time at home. Please help, thread!

I got out my sewing machine after about a year and I apparently don't remember how to use it. I replaced the needle, have threaded and rethreaded multiple times (with YouTube help), but cannot seem to get anything but skipped stitches and bird nests out of it. I remember that there was something non-standard that I needed to do when getting the bobbin thread in place, but I can't remember what. (Singer Heavy Duty 4423)

Any tips on what I can try next?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

Did ya clean that sucker? My guess is you've got all kinds of dust and lint wherever the bobbin sits.

Try a blast of canned air and try changing top and bobbin thread.

E: I have that machine but I've never had bird's nests that bad, or any skipped stitches. The bobbin can be a bit fiddly to get in and pulled up properly, but if you've YouTubed it idk what you could be doing wrong off the top of my head

E2: I can try to make a video tomorrow when I sew if you think that might help

Gave it some canned air and didn't see great improvement, but it did sound a little better.

I think I finally got it working. For some reason when I thread the bobbin thread if I follow the illustration on the lid it doesn't work, but if I get the thread going further along the little groove it seems to do ok? I got a decent line of stitches out of it at least.

Please do make the bobbin video! I never get the bobbin thread pulled up right on the first try and seeing it happen would be very helpful.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

IDK if you saw these, but their production values are quite a bit better than mine, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFow587ytqA

The only thing my video is good for is pointing out where the bobbin tension hook is, but here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uniJOE2vFTQ

E: and of course the throat plate on mine is all chewed up, that's why my thread kept snarling

I did see the Sewing Mastery video, yes. I also very much appreciate your video confirming what it said!

there wolf posted:

Might be the tension on the bobbin case itself that's hosed up, and threading it differently compensates for that.

theflyingexecutive posted:

How’s your thread tension? I know I’ve had plenty of bird’s nest nightmares from loose bobbin tension, esp w heavier fabrics like it looks like you have going on

That's just a summerweight cotton broadcloth, not a particularly thick fabric. Phone got confused on it.

I think you all must be right that my bobbin tension isn't right. I have to thread it past the second metal bit, not bring it between them, to stop getting bird nests.

My manual tells me helpfully that correct bobbin tension is set at the factory. :downs:

Found this video on adjusting bobbin tension, will report if it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FI23OOjVMw

Edit: Yep, that video did it! 1/4 turn tighter and all is right with the world of effika's bobbin tension problems. This is going to make my pants-hemming go so much quicker, now that I won't have to remember that the bobbin illustration is "wrong" and figure out how to do it "right" every six months.

Going to try my own cloth mask this weekend. My friend's mom made me one, but she used bias tape for ties. I wore it at work all day today and the complete lack of give of the bias tape was awful. If I give up on a full mask I'll just cut up an old t-shirt for the ties, or find my lace-weight yarn and do like a yard of i-cord so I have something with a bit of give to it. I hate ear-loop elastic masks, but our bottom-of-the-barrel tie-on surgical masks use some remarkably comfortable material for the ties and I want to get close to that if i can.

effika fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 10, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

E: I'm glad you figured it out! Also thanks for sharing the video, I'll probably need it soon

I'm really skeptical that it's your bobbin tension, especially if it was fine the last time you used it or got it out of the box. They can loosen up over time, but that huge of a difference makes me think it's something else. Not saying it's not possible for it to be screwed up, because it def can be, but everything I can find on getting birds nests says it means your top thread isn't threaded through all the tensioners. It happened to me earlier when I was troubleshooting my machine before shooting that video, I rethreaded and it corrected it.

Not sure if you've seen the other Sewing Mastery vids but she notes you need to have the take up lever in the topmost position and presser foot up when you thread to be sure you catch the tension discs. You can test for correct threading if you put the presser foot down (without catching the thread under it) and tugging on the top thread bends the needle.

The only other thing I can think of is old/bad thread, a badly wound bobbin, or the needle not being inserted correctly/far enough in (flat part toward the back). If you haven't already, maybe pull off the throat plate and check that nothing is caught in there/blow the dust out, and that the opening on the plate is nice and smooth?

Oh yeah no it never worked right out of the box.

I thought sewing was really hard when I got this machine because of how much I had to try threading the bobbin before I got it to work right by accident one time. I just thought that was how machine sewing with an entry-level Singer was- incorrect directions and a needlessly fiddly process.

When it worked fine the last time I used it that was because I hadn't forgotten how to thread the bobbin in a way that wasn't the correct way, but made the bird nests go away.

When it worked fine last night it was only after remembering that I shouldn't follow Singer's directions, after so much trouble with threading the bobbin their way.

After adjusting the bobbin tension screw I can thread it correctly per Singer and I haven't had any issues with it.

(I always forget how to thread the top thread so I watch a YouTube video every time - I think everything was in the right places.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Tried to follow these instructions and had some mishaps/improvisations, but I got a functional mask that actually fits my tiny head and has a filter pocket so I can stick in another mask! (I stole the nose wire from a disposable I wore at work today.)

The nose wire disaster doesn't seem to matter right now, but I will see if I need to make a liner for my liner when it gets a long shift at work. (I'll just baste in another rectangle over it. The more nose cushion the better, honestly.)

Will replace the ties with something with more grip and less flounce later this weekend, but the ribbon sure looks pretty.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I 100% do not recommend that pattern, or at least that version of a shaped mask. I wanted something that wouldn't ride up into my eyes and it fits the bill, but it was not no-muss-no-fuss.

My husband wants a mask too, so he's going to get one of the pleated-rectangle style masks.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bingo Bango posted:

I've been making the A.B. Mask (For a Nurse By a Nurse) and been really happy with the results. Gets a better fit than just the rectangles and easy to whip up in large batches.

Not sure how I missed that one! Looks like a good pattern and much better instructions and photos. (No filter pocket, but it looks made to be worn over other masks, so that's fine.)

cloudy posted:

Anyone know if this style works better with glasses fogging, or if there is no hope for me?

I've worn the actual ppe masks in that style that you could get at a drug store previously, and they were the worst glasses foggers, absolutely no vision for me. I've made a few t-shirt material masks in the fitted pattern (without much issue, the link I posted earlier in the thread may be easier/have better steps written out or something) and they cause less fog, but still some fog nonetheless to the point where I'm still not happy.

Glasses wearer here! Your only hope is a nosewire, pinched around your nose bridge and gently formed to your cheekbones. If it is done properly you'll be annoyed, because it's harder to breathe through, but your glasses won't fog!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

Thank you. What about wool and linen?

Pure linen will survive anything pure cotton can. Wool-- all depends on how it is spun and if it's been treated or felted or mixed with any other fiber. (Even if it's 100% wool it still may come out of an autoclave all wonky. I am primarily a knitter and speak from experience on wool.) Probably best to stay with the thread they ask for if possible.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
More mask chat. Made a few more this weekend, using this pattern: https://www.instructables.com/id/Olson-Mask-for-PPE-With-Filter-for-Personal-and-No/

Much less fiddly! Though I think I might size it down a bit if I make more. That first pattern I used had a teen-size and that worked perfectly.

Also I got better at sewing along curves and it turns out that I actually fit a less beaky mask a little better, now that I made some with actual curves.

Nosewire pocket for this pattern is much easier, but involves topstiching.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You look like Fashion Shredder and I stan!

Oooh Fashion Shredder; I could not hope for better!

Happiness Commando posted:

That fabric is beautiful

Thanks! Random JoAnne fabric find from several years ago. I love marble endpapers and this was so enticing I bought it before I even learned how to use a sewing machine. (I was in for some darning needles for knitting purposes.) It's nice to finally use it!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Volcott posted:

Hey there, what sort of thread would you recommend for basic stuff like sticking a button back on or mending a small tear? Finally used up a spool my mom's had in her kit for like 30 years. Material, thickness, whatever. Many thanks.

Coats & Clark Dual Duty is good enough and you can probably find it at Walmart, even, not a fancy store. Used it tons for small repairs and buttons. It isn't the strongest thread but it is definitely a Thread That Works.

I picked up some Gutterman 100% poly Sew-All thread to make a dress and I really like it. Speaking of, here is babby's first dress/stretch knit garment:

(The one hem I don't line up is the one I photograph)

Made with this fabric-- a UV-protective compression tricot. It hated stretch needles but was fine with ball points. Bonus: WICKING FABRIC so perfect for summer!

I started with this pattern but self-drafted about 3/4s of it after realizing the silhouette wasn't what I wanted for this fabric. I also forgot to shorten the torso for my 5-foot self. When I pulled the waist up to where it needed to be it created some nice rutching, so I decided it is a Feature.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Peeches posted:

I love that dress! It looks great on you! I was just looking into uv fabric. Is it very heavy? I want to make a shrug type cover up for out side summer work but I don't want to be sweating like crazy.

Thank you! This particular fabric has some body/heft to it (290gsm) but it isn't particularly heavy-feeling due to it being a knit. It's definitely not breezy, but it should wick away sweat. I wouldn't mind running tights or shorts made out of it, but I feel like a garment that doesn't sit next to skin won't get the wicking benefit as much and may get a little clammy.

There are a ton of thinner wicking athletic jersey fabrics that may work, though!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

For a second I thought we had a dedicated thread for buttons.

Anyway, I finished my (small) Bargello quilt:

Some of the rows aren't 100% lined up, and the quilting was a tiny bit wonky (although it's so understated you probably have to look closely), but I'm quite pleased with it.

Edit: I'm extra proud because I got halfway through making software to calculate out the cuts, then just figured it out on a piece of paper and in my head.

It looks like pixel art! I love it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

scarletpandai posted:

Oh, what's the book? I'll have to check it out.

On a completely different note, does anyone have a simple, beginner friendly, A-line cotton dress pattern, preferably something that I could get online, that they swear by? I've obviously googled around a bit and saw plenty of options but I was hoping to narrow down by finding one that has been vetted instead of just choosing at random...

Woven or knit fabric? What kind of bodice/silhouette do you want? Sleeve type? Neckline?

The 5 Out of 4 pattern I used above has great instructions-one of their dress patterns might work for you.

Also Pattern Review is pretty awful to search on but they can be a good resource for finding and vetting patterns.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My ankle is acting up this weekend so instead of running I sewed some running shorts:

(Still need to work on sewing knits evenly-- and get a walking foot. Loosening the presser foot tension only gets me so far. )

The whole time I was cutting the fabric I kept thinking of BeatmasterJ and his bathroom tiles. There's no way to know how anything will line up! Got the flowers about where I wanted them anyway.

I used the Apostrophe MyFit leggings generator and really like the results!

Sewed down the side seams as a welt seam to keep them in place. The inner leg seams could use that too, but I couldnt figure out how to do it.

Have decided on never doing a small crotch gusset without a serger ever again. Too many bulky seams! Might try the Super G leggings pattern next, with its long gusset panel. (Well, I'll use it but grade it to the measurements the generator makes.)

I didn't know about the loud florals/2nd civil war signaling thing when I bought the fabric, so if I wear these outside of the house I'll have to a BLM tee with it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

Those shorts are extremely cute and good!

Did you use the same fabric as you did for the dress? I know approximately nothing about stretch/tech fabrics, but I want to make my own and have them be at least as good as what I'd get from target. (I am very fat right now and finding clothes that fit right is impossible)

Yes-- same fabric, different print! 82% polyester, 18% lycra, and wicking. This page is a decent starting point for performance legging fabrics.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

The_Hatt posted:

I recently completed a project where I salvaged the material from a riding shirt I ruined in a bike crash and sewed it into a neck gaiter/face mask and holy drat, sewing that jersey material on a regular machine is a total drag. I have a walking foot on the advice of every sewing blog I've read on the subject and am using a zigzag stitch so when I pull the mask it won't pop the thread. Does anyone have any further advice for making a project look nice if you're using a standard machine instead of a serger or is it just something I should just keep practicing?

Mostly I've done things made of heavier canvas and cordura, my last couple projects were bags for my bike. Here's my most recent one:

Ooh, nice bike bag!

I mostly sew lycra knits, on a mechanical normal sewing machine. I really only have been doing this a few months, but I went hard mode after making a ton of masks and getting tempted by pretty compression fabric. Here's what I've learned:

• Use a ballpoint needle, but try a stretch needle too.
  • Experiment with needle size. My looser single jerseys will take any size needle, but I have some picky tricot that like smaller ones. Different fabrics like different styles.
  • Lower your presser foot pressure. (On my Singer it is a quarter turn lower.)
  • Walking feet are ok, but I prefer tricot feet for stretch knits. The foot holds the fabric down while the needle stitches, then lifts up for the feed dogs to pull everything back. I found holding the fabric still while piercing it was more important with lower presser foot pressure than the walking foot's motion.
  • Play around with tension (I don't always need to alter tension) and length (I have some fabric that does better smaller, and vice-versa)
  • Give the stitch that looks like an absolute equals sign a try. (the one that looks like 3 bars parallel). It is 2 stitches forward, one stitch back. I like it a lot better than zig-zag! Much cleaner looking and great stretching. Do be careful you have your presser foot figured out, and watch for how your machine behaves to make sure your fabric won't get eaten or you won't get birds nests.
  • My machine will eat stretchy knits near the edges if they're not reinforced somehow (tissue paper, interfacing). If I don't have anything handy I try to plan my seam allowances a little larger (4/8 vs 3/8 or 2/8).
  • Go slow! Stretchy knits often don't flow well when going fast.
  • Pin and wonder clip and wonder tape the hell out of curves or stretched things like facings.
  • Extend the table arm or use some books or something to support the fabric as you sew. This sort of fabric stretches and pulls down pretty easily, and if you're not careful you'll find your two layers aren't lined up any more, despite the pins/clips.
  • I like clips more than pins, but sometimes pinning individual rows or columns of stitches will give a very precise result.
  • The fabric probably won't press well, but might be thin enough to actually use those little hemmer feet with.

On the plus side, no real worries about the fabric unraveling so no need to finish every single drat seam!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Boiled wool might be a good place to start, too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Thank you!

Professional quilting makes any quilt look so much better, it's ridiculous. I'm also kind of a hack--my points don't match up, my seams are wobbly, the finished top is wavy as the hills of Iowa, but get someone to stretch it out on a long arm and it looks like a million bucks (and one block wonders are busy enough to hide a multitude of sins, lol).

I only get my bed size quilts professionally quilted, though. The little ones I quilt myself are a little more "unique" as you say, although I like to think of them as "inspired by Gee's Bend".

Mask and quilt scraps. I put it on my cat's bed.

Yes, she has four poster.

Violet Craft's "Atomic Starburst" which was my first experience with paper piecing (looks great! not easy!)

Archipelago quilt made from a thrift store sheet that I dyed.

And the one I just finished when I was figuring out the layout and the first one block wonder I made in 2016 on the bed.

Your cat is so cute and your quilts are amazing!!

I made a little cutlery roll to throw in my work bag from fabric scraps. It has pockets for napkins and sanitizer wipes, which I find myself needing when I eat lunch in the odd places work brings me to.

I kinda hate how thin the ribbon is and will probably add something beefier. I used it because it was a scrap too, making it an all-scrap project!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Is it the right bobbin for the machine? You'd be astonished at how often that happens with secondhand machines.

Or even modern machines if they are Singers; my manual said one type and the website said another! Both kinds worked but the one from the website works a smidge better.

Don't buy modern Singers

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I finished a thing I started back in July 2020! I completely lost all creative energy as work ramped up due to the pandemic, but recently had a work week of less than 70hrs and felt an itch... Which was only scratched by finishing this jacket!

It is the Greenstyle Creations Sundance Jacket.

I modified the pocket bags to be big rectangles that I could catch in the front princess seams and hem, giving me inner stash pockets!!

I have a love/hate relationship with the fabric. I love wearing it, and I love sewing seams with only two layers of fabric. I hate top stitching it (though that may just be my machine's fault - its triple straight stitch just looks sloppy, I think), and I hate sewing more than two layers of this stuff.

I learned zippers for this jacket! It shows, but far less than my "let's try THIS foot" experiments on the hem. And the collar is awful but it fits and I am DONE with ripping out stitches on this fabric so I will take it.

Good news is that I wanted this for running/hiking and it'll fit the bill perfectly. I won't baby it since it won't be a jacket that's nice enough for work! It really is comfy to wear and I love having so many pockets. The double zipper means no flapping jacket, something I wish more running clothing companies would understand.

Full details in my Pattern Review page for it.

effika fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 1, 2021

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Just posting to say this looks fantastic and I would have thought it was from some cool brand if I didn't know if was made by you!

Thanks a lot!

The bed is heated!

cats, man

The bed doesn't purr, though. Sewing machine is warm, purrs, you pay attention to it=must be cat friend to sit on

effika
Jun 19, 2005

eonwe posted:

I have someone who has been hinting they may want a new sewing machine. They aren't a professional seamstress or anything, but they do somewhat frequently sew.

I was thinking about getting this machine: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJ6L6PY/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&returnFromLogin=1

The problem is, I don't really know what to look for. This one seemed to get good reviews and seemed to be relatively durable. Anything I should be looking for otherwise? I don't particularly wanna go up in price much more than this.

I have that machine! It's perfectly good enough for most things.

Also it's at least $80 overpriced, but I guess that's what pandemic prices are like for sewing machines. Normally you could get something with more quality of life bonuses, like a thread cutter, speed adjust knob, needle up/down setting, etc, for that kind of money.

There's a very good chance the bobbin tension is set wrong from the factory. So if they can't seem to stop getting bird's nests, try adjusting that. My posts in this thread have a link to a YouTube video that shows how to adjust it.

Also the pedal is probably going to take off super fast with a little bit of pressure. There's a resistor knob to help adjust that, but you have to take the pedal apart to get to it.

I wouldn't call this machine an upgrade from anything other than the little machines that just do hems, but it is a good basic mechanical machine.

Do you happen to have any hints or ideas on things they don't like about their current machine, or features that they might like? That can help find a good fit.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah there are 3 zippers on this thing, 2 of the zippers completely disintegrated when i used some pliers to apply a small amount of force. the main one pictured i have already clamped down pretty hard on it and still they don't catch any of the teeth so i guess i'm going to have to go the route of pulling out some of the teeth and replacing the zipper body.

yeah i don't have a machine, i just know some basic sewing by hand. i wanted to get some advice since it seems closest to sewing. the tape is sewn pretty tightly to the bag so pulling that out and trying to sew a new one would probably be out of my skill level.

i'll probably end up looking at those zippers that can snap down.

I've done this repair to a fake leather purse! It's actually less stressful to do it to something by hand than with a machine, I find. Time consuming, but you know every step of the way that you're sewing it in how you want it to look.

These are good basic instructions.

Get yourself a seam ripper, a thicker needle to handle the canvas, and some heavy-duty thread just to be extra secure and you'll be repairing it in no time.

You can find an amazing selection of notions like zippers and needles at Wawak. Zippers are sized by how big the teeth are, so measure what you have and see if you can match it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I made the otter from the Cholyknight pattern!

And here's my kid with his matching jacket:

It was my first time making a plush, so there was a certain amount of unpicking and re-sewing. But it came out pretty well, and the seams should be solid.

Oooh, cuddly!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My husband wanted a new mask for work. When I gave it to him, he frowned.

"Sorry the plaid's a little off," I said. "I didn't feel like getting the walking foot out."

"I'm not worried about the plaid..."

Oklaho

effika
Jun 19, 2005

effika posted:

My husband wanted a new mask for work. When I gave it to him, he frowned.

"Sorry the plaid's a little off," I said. "I didn't feel like getting the walking foot out."

"I'm not worried about the plaid..."

Oklaho

In my continuing saga of Inappropriate Masks for Work, my husband picked out some stripey fabric and wanted the stripes vertical.

Me: "Do you have any Georgia O'keeffe's up at work?"

Him: "Yeah, why?"

Me: *points*

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Teen me would have used adhesive velcro dots, so good on teen you for choosing something reasonable!

Thirding that a few stitches of matching thread to make the buttonholes smaller is probably the easiest option.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Discovery Fabric is in Canada and I never order from them because the shipping to the US is atrocious. Maybe it's better within the country? Lots of people like them, and if you're looking for anything vaguely outdoors/sports they probably have it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

The_Hatt posted:

Got bored and made a stuffed chew toy out of canvas for my dog a couple weeks back:

Took him a couple of days to figure it out:

Yes good

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I LOVE THE COLORS YAY SO BRIGHT

Always backstitch unless you have another way of securing your threads.

The rest is up to you and what way you decide looks best and is easier.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I like my Singer Heavy Duty but if you will be sewing things like canvas, look for more industrial use machines like Juki and Sailrite. They are expensive but will handle thick fabric like it's nothing, and they have machines with zigzag stitch and walking feet too.

Also I feel like I don't have enough clearance between the foot and the plate of my machine and can't imagine sewing more than like 3 layers of canvas. I have enough trouble getting 4 layers of 200gsm spandex fabric wedged under there. (It sews fine, just doesn't want to fit.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I am super tired but I finished a t-shirt! Greenstyle Green Tee.

I hate neck bands so I did a clean finish binding instead. I need to work on the little v-point dart, but I like it well enough to wear it out of the house. It is amazing how much a difference the proper fit makes.

And an action shot, since fashion looks better in motion:

I did not pick the correct size on my first muslin and got this:

Had to add in a gusset along the sides, two sizes bigger to accommodate my chest. At least their newer patterns have an FBA pieces!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My mom recently borrowed my Singer Heavy Duty to recover some outdoor wicker couch cushions, and in taking the old covers off discovered that there were six existing covers still on the cushions

Now, this couch is probably 60-70 years old at this point, considering the wool and coil spring construction of the cushions.

That is fantastic! So many trends throughout the decades. I wonder if the cushions fit differently now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Does it knock when you crank by hand?

Does it knock when you use something like parchment paper with it?

Does it knock when you sew something thinner?

Does it knock when you try a different size or composition of thread?