Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fino Martini
Jan 24, 2006

I have a white shawl collar pullover that I'd like to dye a different color. I was hoping for black or a shade of gray and was looking for some tips and advice.

First, I have no clue on how I would even dye this, would I probably have to order the dye from a specialty store on line or is this something that like a Michaels or Joanns would have. (These are fabric/craft stores I've seen, not sure if they are national.)

And once I have my dye, and links to what the best way to dye something is? And finally it's not a garment I would wash a lot, but I would hope that it wouldn't fate and look poorly done. And also wouldn't want the ink to stain other stuff.

So any help would be awesome, even if you can only answer one of my questions and not all.

Also I think I'm going to look into a local sewing class too, I need a hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fino Martini
Jan 24, 2006

Captain Schlork posted:

This depends entirely on the material of the pullover. Find out what it is, then do some research on what dyes are available to you and if they're compatible with the material. If it's wool, it's best to just ditch the idea of machine dye since it'll probably gently caress up the material if you're not extra careful with it. Some brands (I honestly don't know what they sell over there) carry dyes that are specifically intended for sensitive organic textiles. When you finally have your dye, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Then read them again. And once again with a lot of thought. It's easy to mess up if you don't know exactly what you're doing and all brands have differences.

Always wash the dyed garment with similar colours. You'll probably have to re-dye it every now and then, black has the tendency of eventually fading.

Alright the materials of the pullover are 78% cotton, 22% polyester (exclusive of trim?)

I tried searching the sites of the two stores I mentioned, but didn't have much luck so I took it to google and found these two sites:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3796-AA.shtml?lnav=dyes.html

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2238-AA.shtml?lnav=dyes.html

These are both cotton dyes for apparel so I think they would work. How many ounces of dye do you think I need for one garment?

From the first link I was thinking either the eggplant or the jet black, and for the second link I was thinking deep black (I'd wait for a restock or buy it from a different site.)

If you can't comment on the quality of those brands I'd be interested in hearing your recommendations for dyes.