Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barraGOUDA
Apr 19, 2006

FISH + CHEESE = YAY

machinegirl posted:

Another ravelgoon: elizasea

I think we need a group. Shall I start one?

OOH OOH PLEASE DO (I'm barraGOUDA there too and I shall look all of you up!) I'm excited that there are this many goons on Ravelry. I loving love that site.

spatula posted:

Right now I'm working on this hat for my mom. I'm using a varigated yarn, and the cables don't show up as well as I'd like among all the colors, but it's still nice. The recommended hook size is sort of big though, I probably would have gone down one size... the hat doesn't seem quite as snug as I would like it to be.

I love, love, love that pattern. I picked a nice bright red so while the cabling is still not as prominent as I'd like, it's still pretty visible. And yes, the suggested hook size is way too loving big. I switched to an H hook halfway through and it's still a little loose on my head, but it gets the job done. (Surprisingly, you can't tell by looking at it that I switched hooks halfway through...that was a nice surprise.)

Man, I love seeing everyone's projects. You guys are some talented motherfuckers.

Here's my contribution:

A Jayne Cobb hat for my boyfriend (also a goon, as you can tell from :iamafag: ).

I get so many comments on this scarf when I wear it out. Pattern from here.

Baby Mario and Yoshi I made for a Craftster swap back in the day.

All right, that's enough of my junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barraGOUDA
Apr 19, 2006

FISH + CHEESE = YAY

Santclair posted:

Any suggestions for paints that will work? I tried mixing acrylic and fabric paint, even watering down the acrylic quite a bit, but it wasn't really happening.

Santclair posted:

I'll definitely go look into the screen-printing paint though. Is that available at places like Hobby Lobby or will I have to go online?

You should be able to find screen printing ink pretty easily at your local art store, but it's online too (Dick Blick, for one). Are you planning on freehanding your design, or are you considering actually going through the whole screen printing process? Here's a tutorial from Instructables if you are...there are kits out there but they can get pretty expensive.

I'll be honest, I have never screen printed anything so I can't give much advice. But if you're just making one design you won't be repeating, screen printing seems like it would be a lot of work.

I personally prefer stenciling, myself (though again, if you're just freehanding a design you can ignore this next part). My favorite stuff to work with is Tulip "Soft, Brushable" fabric paint. It's inexpensive and handles repeated washings very well, in my experience. (Use the "Matte" kind of paint. The "Neon" and "Glitter" kinds are rear end paints, made of rear end.)

Acrylic paint can be mixed with textile medium and that works pretty well too. I keep it in a 2:1 ratio of paint to textile medium. The drawback is that the design will be very stiff, but it shouldn't crack over time like acrylic by itself would (though honestly I find that mine has a little bit anyway. Perhaps a ratio of 1:1 would crack less, but haven't tried it myself yet). I still like fabric paint better, but acrylic paint is wicked cheap and sometimes you just can't get the color you want in fabric paint.

One last thing I wanted to post here for the benefit of anyone who is considering stenciling is using the freezer paper method. Your edges will be so sharp and professional looking and it's so freaking easy to do. Here's an okay tutorial. I love, love, love freezer paper. (Which you can get at Wal-Mart, though it's hard to find sometimes.)

Sorry this is kind of a crappy pic (the design is much sharper and darker in person), but this is a shirt I made with the freezer paper method: