Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
That reminds me of a book I was looking for before. It was a space based book but I remember there was a b plot with these medieval talking wolves?

I think at some point the wolves and the space plot converge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

That reminds me of a book I was looking for before. It was a space based book but I remember there was a b plot with these medieval talking wolves?

I think at some point the wolves and the space plot converge.

I'm gonna be two for two here...

Vernor Vinge A Fire Upon The Deep

quote:

An expedition from Straumli Realm, an ambitious young human civilization in the high Beyond, investigates a five-billion-year-old data archive in the low Transcend that offers the possibility of unimaginable riches. The expedition's facility, High Lab, is gradually compromised by a dormant superintelligence within the archive later known as the Blight. However, shortly before the Blight's final "flowering", two self-aware entities created similarly to the Blight plot to aid the humans before the Blight can escape.

Recognizing the danger of what they have awakened, the researchers at High Lab attempt to flee in two ships, one carrying all the adults and the second carrying all the children in "coldsleep boxes". Suspicious, the Blight discovers that the first ship contains a data storage device in its cargo manifest; assuming it contains information that could harm it, the Blight destroys the ship. The second ship escapes. The Blight assumes that it is no threat, but later realizes that it is actually carrying away a "countermeasure" against it.

The ship lands on a distant planet with a medieval-level civilization of dog-like creatures, dubbed "Tines", who live in packs as group minds. Upon landing, however, the two surviving adults are ambushed and killed by Tine fanatics known as Flenserists, in whose realm they have landed. The Flenserists capture a young boy named Jefri Olsndot and his wounded sister, Johanna. While Jefri is taken deeper into Flenserist territory, Johanna is rescued by a Tine pilgrim who witnessed the ambush and delivers her to a neighboring kingdom ruled by a Tine named Woodcarver. The Flenserists tell Jefri that Johanna has been killed by Woodcarver and exploit him in order to develop advanced technology (such as cannon and radio communication), while Johanna and the knowledge stored in her "dataset" device help Woodcarver rapidly develop in turn.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thank you! That’s it :)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Probably another unsolvable one... This popped into my mind while I thought of The Green Leopard Plague By Walter Jon Williams:

Aliens arrive at a ruined Earth and do archeology on it. See a statue of someone all across the planet, celebrated in rural areas defaced in urban. Eventually they figure out that the person created a microbe that could live in a human gut and break down cellulose and ending world hunger as people could just munch on trees or grass. However, it mutated and became airborn breaking down all plant life and causing the O2 => CO2 => O2 cycle to end leading humanity to die off. At the end the aliens realize the microbes are on their ship, and their clothes and they can't return to their home planet or they'd doom it as well.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Hughlander posted:

Probably another unsolvable one... This popped into my mind while I thought of The Green Leopard Plague By Walter Jon Williams:

Aliens arrive at a ruined Earth and do archeology on it. See a statue of someone all across the planet, celebrated in rural areas defaced in urban. Eventually they figure out that the person created a microbe that could live in a human gut and break down cellulose and ending world hunger as people could just munch on trees or grass. However, it mutated and became airborn breaking down all plant life and causing the O2 => CO2 => O2 cycle to end leading humanity to die off. At the end the aliens realize the microbes are on their ship, and their clothes and they can't return to their home planet or they'd doom it as well.

Ooh I think I've seen a similar one! Iirc it broke the process by sequestering too much carbon so there was too much oxygen in the atmosphere?

Edit: found a book called The Nitrogen Fix that looks like it's close, but not quite on the mark.

froglet fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 9, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hughlander posted:

Pretty sure you have it a bit wrong but you mean 'Bitten' by Kelley Armstrong:

i hope that's the entire plot. the end no moral

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

froglet posted:

Ooh I think I've seen a similar one! Iirc it broke the process by sequestering too much carbon so there was too much oxygen in the atmosphere?

Edit: found a book called The Nitrogen Fix that looks like it's close, but not quite on the mark.

That's similar but the one I'm thinking about is a short story and humans have been dead for a very long time when the aliens find Earth.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hah, take that, aliens. K/d streak to end all streaks.

Hippity hoppity stay the gently caress off our property.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I've had no luck with Google sadly:

Read when I was a kid so about the mid-90s. Plot to the best of my memory was about a researcher or father-type figure wanted to show his children that magic was real, so somehow got on a giant sailboat to travel the world and show them mythological creatures, who would then stay on board.

The only one I can remember specifically is Medusa, who protests coming aboard but the guy gives her sunglasses so she can enjoy the sights without turning anyone to stone.

It was beautifully illustrated, and I've been thinking about it a lot lately since I got kids of my own now!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

crime fighting hog posted:

I've had no luck with Google sadly:

Read when I was a kid so about the mid-90s. Plot to the best of my memory was about a researcher or father-type figure wanted to show his children that magic was real, so somehow got on a giant sailboat to travel the world and show them mythological creatures, who would then stay on board.

The only one I can remember specifically is Medusa, who protests coming aboard but the guy gives her sunglasses so she can enjoy the sights without turning anyone to stone.

It was beautifully illustrated, and I've been thinking about it a lot lately since I got kids of my own now!

Voyage of the Basset

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Yes!!! Thank you so much!

E: I'm actually quite surprised how well I remembered it considering I am a moron who forgets his login password all the time.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
About twenty years ago, I found this really funny parody of Zelazny's "Nine Prince of Amber" on a page dedicated to the Amber Diceless RPG. I have been trying to find it again, but I don't remember the author, the page or any other details. There was a scene where Corwin duels Eric, and Eric compliments the narrator on remembering so many technical terms of fencing.

Does anyone else remember this? I have been looking for years.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SimonChris posted:

About twenty years ago, I found this really funny parody of Zelazny's "Nine Prince of Amber" on a page dedicated to the Amber Diceless RPG.

Does anyone else remember this? I have been looking for years.

No, but I did find a parody of the entire Corwin series:
https://kevincrawfordknight.github.io/extra/ember2.txt

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

No, but I did find a parody of the entire Corwin series:
https://kevincrawfordknight.github.io/extra/ember2.txt

https://kevincrawfordknight.github.io/extra/ember2.txt posted:

I parried his lunge, and he parried my parry. I tried a riposte, but
just then, he came in with a feint in quarte. After a sixte riposte and a
repositioning, I held the edge. I lunged. He backed off, however, and I
failed to make contact. Erik struck for my arm. I had to pull back, and I
almost lost balance. It was too late to pursue the feint-lunge-riposte I
had planned just seconds ago, so I held my ground.

"You seem to remember many technical terms of fencing," Erik said,
sweating pouring down his face.

That's it! Thank you so much! For some reason that particular joke stuck with me.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
A book in the 90s about a group of girls, I think junior high age. I want to say it had Blubber vibes, maybe. I think there was a girl they bullied that eventually made friends with them? Only things I remember are

1) Bullied girl is overweight and after they made friends they have a sleepover or something, with pizza. Bullied girl reaches for a 3rd slice and the rest of the group tell her no, she agrees and says "the truth hurts!"

2) Bullied girl gets dared to hitchhike home from a different town, which she does. Afterwards she tells her friends the guy that picked her up lectured her and took her directly to her parents and she got in huge trouble

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

WHY BONER NOW posted:

A book in the 90s about a group of girls, I think junior high age. I want to say it had Blubber vibes, maybe. I think there was a girl they bullied that eventually made friends with them? Only things I remember are

1) Bullied girl is overweight and after they made friends they have a sleepover or something, with pizza. Bullied girl reaches for a 3rd slice and the rest of the group tell her no, she agrees and says "the truth hurts!"

2) Bullied girl gets dared to hitchhike home from a different town, which she does. Afterwards she tells her friends the guy that picked her up lectured her and took her directly to her parents and she got in huge trouble

I can confirm I've read this too but can't tell you any more about it, but it exists.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I think that was another Judy Blume book, Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SimonChris posted:

That's it! Thank you so much! For some reason that particular joke stuck with me.

Same. I just read the Corwin Chronicles with my 11 year old and ended with Dying of Ember. Still so good along with all the Dad jokes and it’s the way of our kind.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

wizzardstaff posted:

I think that was another Judy Blume book, Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great.

Hmm, reading the synopsis doesn't ring any bells, thanks though

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Story where a man who is not native to the country he’s in has a boss who pays him in coins but gives him physically larger coins saying they’re worth more even though they’re not. The character knows he’s being cheated but allows it, at least for the time being.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm almost positive this is Barthe DeClements' Nothing's Fair in 5th Grade. Does the bullied girl getting blamed for stealing her class's book club money ring any bells?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Liffrea posted:

I'm almost positive this is Barthe DeClements' Nothing's Fair in 5th Grade. Does the bullied girl getting blamed for stealing her class's book club money ring any bells?

Man, that plot element doesn't come to mind...but I definitely remember that title, and after reading a synopsis I think its super likely that's my book! Thank you!!

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Speculative science fiction set in new york about a risk manager / actuary dealing with climate change. Can't remember the title. Came out in the last 10-15 years. Not 2140 by KSR.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

xian posted:

Speculative science fiction set in new york about a risk manager / actuary dealing with climate change. Can't remember the title. Came out in the last 10-15 years. Not 2140 by KSR.

I think KSR has written more than one book on that subject...

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
As per usual, it's a YA book that I read in junior high. Very vague, but it was about a dude who somehow- I think it was a cave or a tunnel of some kind- goes through a portal to prehistoric/caveman/dinosaur times and meets a tribe of humans and lives with them for a bit. Acclimates, falls in love, that kinda thing. I thiiiiiiiiiink that they hunted wooly mammoths or sabretooth tigers. The only sequence that I can still remember is when the dude finally kisses his cavechick, there is a line about his sliding his thumb into her sweaty armpit. I remember thinking, like, the smell must be unimaginable.

EDIT: I read this in the mid to late nineties

Narzack fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 2, 2024

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Narzack posted:

As per usual, it's a YA book that I read in junior high. Very vague, but it was about a dude who somehow- I think it was a cave or a tunnel of some kind- goes through a portal to prehistoric/caveman/dinosaur times and meets a tribe of humans and lives with them for a bit. Acclimates, falls in love, that kinda thing. I thiiiiiiiiiink that they hunted wooly mammoths or sabretooth tigers. The only sequence that I can still remember is when the dude finally kisses his cavechick, there is a line about his sliding his thumb into her sweaty armpit. I remember thinking, like, the smell must be unimaginable.

This is most likely "The Transall Saga" by Gary Paulson, its a perennial favorite in this sort of thread.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

just a quick reminder, its more useful if instead of saying "when i was 10 years old", you can say "early 2000s" or something. that way, other people who are not your exact age may also be able to help

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

yaffle posted:

This is most likely "The Transall Saga" by Gary Paulson, its a perennial favorite in this sort of thread.

I'm reading reviews of it on Goodreads, and I don't think this is it. I don't remember there being any kind of multiple tribes or slave society. I am almost80% sure it was in the past and the main character was high school age at least. There wasn't, as I recall, weird about the Earth in it. Trying to find a copy to read it anyway, since it looks like it's a brisk read.

Carthag Tuek posted:

just a quick reminder, its more useful if instead of saying "when i was 10 years old", you can say "early 2000s" or something. that way, other people who are not your exact age may also be able to help

Yeah, sorry, this would have been mid to late nineties.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 2, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

its not jean m muriel is it?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

its not jean m muriel is it?

Not sure, I can't find anything or anyone by the name.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Narzack posted:

Not sure, I can't find anything or anyone by the name.

They are probably misremembering the name Jean M. Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear, etc.), but those don't really fit your plot either.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was gonna say, it's not the second Clan of the Cave Bear book is it? But you probably would have described a lot more weird sex.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Nah, it's definitely a time travel story. And no sex, just that makeout(maybe sex, I don't think I was interested in that at the time, so it may have gone over my head) scene, where the dude slipped his hand under her caveshirt and thumbed her sweaty armpit.

Tragic Wagon
Sep 9, 2021

Got what it takes
Was it Rocco (or A Time of Darkness in the USA) by Sheryl Jordan? Published in 1990, so around the right time. I can't find too much about it online, but I read it in school too, and it fits the high schooler travelling in time. I don't remember any armpit-related romance, but I do remember the ending implying that it's not actually the distant past, it's the near future after some sort of terrible disaster.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
another thing i am wondering is what do you think the thumb smells like haha im just curious for laughs haha

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Tragic Wagon posted:

Was it Rocco (or A Time of Darkness in the USA) by Sheryl Jordan? Published in 1990, so around the right time. I can't find too much about it online, but I read it in school too, and it fits the high schooler travelling in time. I don't remember any armpit-related romance, but I do remember the ending implying that it's not actually the distant past, it's the near future after some sort of terrible disaster.

I'd guess that's probably it. That's a cover and title an 8th grade me would have been interested in.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I thought this was in All Systems Red but it wasn’t. Maybe one of the sequels.

Main character party is hyper capitalist hellhole negotiates help with opposing team/company but the opposing side is even more capitalist hellhole then they realized and chastises hero for bad negotiations as they’ll become slaves/lose their gear/land. But they turn it around.

If it’s not all systems red it feels like it could be The Lost Fleet?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hughlander posted:

I thought this was in All Systems Red but it wasn’t. Maybe one of the sequels.

Main character party is hyper capitalist hellhole negotiates help with opposing team/company but the opposing side is even more capitalist hellhole then they realized and chastises hero for bad negotiations as they’ll become slaves/lose their gear/land. But they turn it around.

If it’s not all systems red it feels like it could be The Lost Fleet?

"Hypercapitalist hellhole" describes a lot of the Murderbot setting, but those events don't match up with anything I recall in the books.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

"Hypercapitalist hellhole" describes a lot of the Murderbot setting, but those events don't match up with anything I recall in the books.

Yah and it’s one of the sides of the Lost Fleet which is why I think may be from there. Could also be a podcast like Girl In Space. Sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What was that book that had the mage who got made fun of because he cried and ran away from a wedding to a princess because the barbarian hero showed up to rescue her, but it turns out the dude was like 8 and had no clue what the gently caress was going on? I think his dad was the big bad necromancer of the book.

Comedic fantasy, just drawing a blank on the title.