Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
It might be The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base. It’s been a long time since I seen it but it sounds like a match; he also did Animalia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I thought of another of those books but I’m fairly sure it’s not The Masquerade by Kit Williams, but that also lead me to discover the genre is called “armchair treasure hunt”. Maybe that will help.

edit: or not… “armchair treasure hunt” is those similar puzzle/picture books, but they lead to a real life treasure. Sorry!

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 6, 2023

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Owl at Home posted:

edit: Oops, I just figured out what that second one was. It was The Burning Man, and it was by Ray Bradbury like I remembered.

The Burning Man is also a Twilight Zone episode, based on Bradbury’s story.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I think this one will be near impossible but it’s been bugging me and I can’t find it:

Short story in a horror? compilation. I would have read it 1995-2000 timeframe because I remember lending the book to a school friend afterwards, and this is the only story that I remember from it.

Woman is either day dreaming or dreaming on a bus and is psychically raped by a man on the bus. She realises what’s happening and draws him in, taking him deeper into her own fantasies until he is enthralled - because he’s usually an aggressor as he intruded into women’s minds and in this case she’s taking him deeper and darker - and she turns the tables on him somehow. I think last scene is her exiting the bus and he’s sitting there catatonic/stupefied/broken.

A couple of bits that are really jammed into my brain from it, possibly because I was a teenage boy at the time:
“She showed him the warm teak fantasy” + description of that being sex on a table or desk, warm wood pressed against her flesh type stuff. I think it was specifically lesbian sex.

“She showed him the broken glass”, something like that but I don’t think it ever explains that one, just left it open ended.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I have that on the shelf but didn’t even think to check it. I was going through old stuff like “Dark Love: Twenty-two all original tales of lust and obsession”, I was certain it was from something like that and for that reason I thought it would be impossible to id.

Thank you so much <3