Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
I'm looking for some help finding a piece of prose.

It was a long time ago so some of my descriptions may be incorrect but the poem was written about (two?) towers in a field of wheat/soya in a dystopian society. All I can clearly remember was part of the poem being written from within a canteen in one of the towers. I believe it was part of an anthology of prose (called Brave New World) that was part of the GCSE cirriculum, although we never studied that particular piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

okay are you looking for a poem or a piece of prose? your post is extremely confusing in that regard.

To be quite honest I am not entirely sure. It was in an anthology with work by Betjemin, Owen and Sassoon (amongst others) so I would have thought poetry, but I have a feeling it read more like a story without the rhythym I would attribute to poetry. I was kind of hedging my bets as my memory is very blurry and it's not helped that this has been bugging me for a few years now.

The anthology in question was split into sections. Of which the war poetry was the section we studied and this other piece was in another section called Brave New World that contained material of a utopian/dystopian slant. (It would have been part of the GCSE syllabus in the year 2000, I think edexcel). I know it had Inexpensive Progress by Betjemin in that section. All I remember for certain about the piece was the towers in a field of some crop and there being a canteen, possibly with a PA system telling people what to think.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006

Unkempt posted:

Putting my mind at rest

Excellent, I didn't recognise the first verse initially but it is most definitely the right one. Thank you.