Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I'm looking for a short story I read several years ago, it was about a future time when they had bases on the moon and a company gave tours, one tour accidentally get sucked into a sinkhole. I seem to remember really good descriptions of how fine the moon dust was. I want to re-read it cause I can't remember how it ended.

Another I'm trying to find was a book of amazing facts for kids. I remember it had some neat illustrations, and had different categories of facts and was kinda like a Jr Guinness Book, three of the facts I specifically remember was one about Japanese spider crabs, one about a guy who could extend his neck, and one about natural sugar.
We had this in the late 80's early 90's and it might have been older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

LittleSunshine posted:

Probably the late great Arthur C Clarke, A Fall of Moondust.

Yes thank you, now to get a copy.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

DoctorScurvy posted:

2. Some unnatural force has caused a "change" in the world, where ordinary objects change their function sporadically. Someone is out on the road when a Change occurs and they sink into the pavement.

"Something Passed By" by Robert R. McCammon.
An excellent short story, you can read it here http://www.robertmccammon.com/fiction/something.html.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

tastysoup posted:

This is a book that I read as a kid.
Some giant creatures or machines called tripods(?) rule the land, and when a child hits puberty they do something weird to its brain. So all of the adults are pretty much slaves to these tripod things. A bunch of kids try to escape to some base in the mountains where rebels resist the tripods, so that they can't catch them and mess with their brains.

Along the way, one of the boys meets a girl and develops a crush on her, but sadly she gets her brain messed with. Also, one of the kids gets a tracking device implanted in his arm, and one of the other kids has to ut it out with a knife.

I always liked that book. Don't remember what the hell it is though.

It was a trilogy by John Christopher collectively called The Tripods
The White Mountains
The City of Gold and Lead
The Pool of Fire
all written in the late 60's, in '88 he wrote a prequel called When the Tripods Came.
Very enjoyable series, almost a War of the Worlds Jr.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Two more.

First book was a young adult book. Kid for some reason feels like an loner, either 'cause he just moved or just doesn't socialize much. Gets sent to summer camp makes friends with a boy and girl. There might've been something about treasure but I don't know for sure. Only specifics I remember is when they sang camp songs it actually had all the words to them, two songs I remember are "Oh My Darling Clementine" and one about keeping your elbows off the table.

Second book was a young adult survival adventure. Kid goes on a mountain climbing/hiking trip and a storm comes up and he gets separated from everyone else and ends up going down the wrong side of the mountain. He finds a river and follows it down 'til he gets rescued or finds a town. Scenes I remember are one where he makes a fish hook out of a paperclip, goes swimming and stands up under an overhang too fast and concusses himself. Also if I remember correctly the search parties are looking in the wrong area because the guy in charge of the kids lied about seeing him with the rest of the group to cover his own rear end because the whole thing was his fault. Possibly had a part in the beginning where the main character gets a job doing yard work for this old guy to raise the money.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I have three stories that have been hovering around my subconscious for a while,

First one was a story about a guy who ends up transformed into some dog like creature I think to as a curse and then he ends up with this lady and being a guard dog or something, I'm pretty sure it took place on a different planet.

Second is a short fiction story about the history of the song "Waltzing Matilda" but every time I've tried to look it up I either just get the lyrics or the actual history of the song.

and last was a sci-fi book about a lady who is an outcast for having something wrong with her face, I think she was missing her nose, and she finds a special prosthetic that couldn't be detected and had to decide if she wanted to stay an outcast or not.

Sorry for the lack of details hopefully at one of you knows these.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Rocambole posted:

First one might be Moon of Three Rings by Andre Norton - synopsis here. Not a clue about the others though.

Yes thank you, recognized the second cover and synopsis thank you

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

ist posted:

This one just randomly popped into my mind, and I've gotta figure out the title to it.

I remember reading it in 3rd grade, so it has to be at least 15 years old.

It was some young adult mystery novel about I believe some teenage girl in some big city with an art museum, and I believe the secret she was after was "Balogna, Italy"

It's entirely possible that she snuck into the museum after close by standing on a toilet, but I may be confusing it with another book.

e: it's also possible that the plot centered around some da vinci statue

Could it be "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" by E. L. Konigsburg?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Mixed-Up_Files_of_Mrs._Basil_E._Frankweiler
First thing I thought of.

Elohssa Gib fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 27, 2008

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

enuma elish posted:

This one sounds like Expendable by James Alan Gardner, although the flaw in that story was a birthmark on the cheek. Sound familiar?

Yes thank you, have no idea why I thought her nose was gone.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

WE DOIN IT NOW posted:

OK this has been bothering me for the last few days and no amount of googling or looking through my bookshelf seems to help.

I have this weird memory of a book,well it may have been a dream but I don't think I'm that creative, in which there is a story of a guy ending up in a kind of purgatory. In this purgatory are people of various eras sitting in a HUGE dark room. All the people have different clothes on from different eras and looks like they could have been there for hundreds of years while some could only have been there for a short amount of time. Anyways, there's a well in the middle of the room with a bunch of people huddled around it. The main guy goes to look into the well and sees people floating, drowning, and sinking underneath the dark water. Just as he gets done looking into it one of the guys huddled around the well decides to jump in. Just as the guy hits the water there is this bright light that appears and the man disappears through it. The main character finally realizes where he is and what is happening.

I'm pretty sure it's from a book but I can't seem to figure out which one it was from. I think I read it about a year or two ago. Needless to say googling "purgatory well book" or anything of the like doesn't turn up poo poo.

The first thing that popped into my head was Jack L. Chalker's Well World series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_World

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Jezebel posted:

Okay, in my high school library was a scifi-ish YA short story collection that I read several times out of boredom. The stories were by different people, and it might have had a "great stories of 19xx" title or something. The cover just had the title in a really bright color (yellow?) on a blue (?) background?

Anyway, I only really remember one of the first stories. It's about some teenage girl who lives in a culture where people have created artificial wings or something, for fun. But you can't weigh more than a certain amount to be able to fly, so once you get older you have to stop. And she's torn between starving herself and still being able to fly, or eating a hamburger and growing.

There might have also been a story about some people renting artificial ears (and maybe noses) because they couldn't hear or something?

I should just go back and visit the library; I bet it hasn't changed in eight years. The book's probably still on the same drat shelf.
2041 a collection edited by Jane Yolen
http://www.amazon.com/2041-Stories-Science-Fiction-Writers/dp/0440218985
Don't know about the copy you're thinking of but this is the version I have and the flying story is called "If I had the Wings of an Angel" by Joe Haldeman, and the other is "Ear" by Jane Yolen

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Was browsing at Barnes and Noble a couple years ago and I found a book in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section but forgot to write down the title. This was 2 or 3 years ago and from what I can remember it was a trade size book. If I remember right, the plot was about this farmer guy who gets some sort of summons to a school of magic and I think he enters though a door he shouldn't have been able to. He seemed to have some sort of druid like magic but never seemed to acknowledge that he did. There was also some plot about political intrigue and possibly a street fair where some Punch and Judy kind of show puts some sort of spell on one of the female main characters. Also the guy might have been old, I think he was married and then his wife died or something.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Khisareth posted:

I didn't finish reading it but was it Convergence, Book 1 of the Blending by Sharon Green? One of the main characters is a farmer who is called to become an Adept and there is political intrigue.

No, I have all five of the Blending series, and it's sequel series the Blending Enthroned.

This book is most likely only 4 or 5 years old and when I was reading through it the book was trade size, so I think it had just come out.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Dacap posted:

I remember reading a kids sci-fi/adventure book series as a kid, the name of which escapes me. All I remember was that one of the books had a title that was a parody of "The Search for Spock". Sorry I can't remember anything else, I just remember I never finished it.

Bruce Coville's Rod Albright Alien Adventures series, the parody title was the search for snout
Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_Ate_My_Homework

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

nightchild12 posted:

I read this book in the 90s. I remember none of the plot or characters whatsoever. All I remember is that it was a fantasy-style book that in the end you learn is actually all sci-fi, maybe. There are magic (crystals? vials?) that contain (nanobots?) that give people powers when they use them, but a body can only handle like one or two kinds at once before getting overloaded and dying. I remember that at one point, one of the main characters is near a rack full of these (crystals/vials?), and he breaks them all and falls into the resulting mess, cutting himself up and getting all of this (nanobot?) crap in him but because there were so many of them they all balance out and he survives and gets super-immense magic powers. He may have done this on purpose.

I think there may have been a spaceship involved, that was the source of or somehow related to the crystal/nanobot things and it wakes up or powers on near the end.

Could it be Janny Wurts' Cycle of Fire trilogy:
Stormwarden
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormwarden-Cycle-Fire-Janny-Wurts/dp/0586204830
Keeper of the Keys
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keeper-Keys-Book-Cycle-Fire/dp/0586204849/ref=pd_sim_b_1/278-6315132-8514960
Shadowfane
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadowfane-cycle-fire-Janny-Wurts/dp/0586204857/ref=pd_sim_b_1

You find out fairly early that the entire planet's population is the descendants of a spaceship that crashed due to engine failure, and all the demons are just aliens from the ship.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I had a book pop in my head the other day. I can't remember much about it except it was a sci-fi about this guy who is given the ability of extra dimensional travel. If I'm remembering correctly the guy uses the skill to cheat in Vegas, and also observes some 2 dimensional people. There were some drawings in the book of the 2d people. I think he accidentally kills one while trying to get it to be 3d, and there was something about needing to pee on people so they could access the extra dimensions. Any help that proves I'm not insane would help.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

That's the one, now I just have to figure out where the gently caress I read it the first time. Thank you.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Astroduck posted:

I'm trying to remember a series of English Childrens books I read as a kid in the early 90's (93-94 thereabouts, though the books are older than that), about a magical street and the characters that lived there. Each book was about a different character, but the one i remember most was about a group of kids that found a sort of green hairy Kangaroo monster in their garden. Used to terrify me for some reason.
Anyway, I think it was griff or gruff something...

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or did I imagine it?

That last part sounds like Five Children and It by Edith Nesbit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Children_and_It

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I read a book about 8 or 9 years ago, two scientist get stuck on a planet made almost entirely of diamonds, I think they're stuck because the diamond dust in the atmosphere destroys the gears and valves. The planet is in the process of being destroyed either by the sun going nova or just getting pulled into it. The scientists have to find a way to escape or they die. In the end they find a way to use the diamonds to propel the whole planet back to earth.

Elohssa Gib fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 29, 2010

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

dimwitf posted:

- An spaceship/time machine is sent back to prevent The Asteroid from wiping out dinosaurs. The people inside then hop forward many years at a time, watching the dinos develop culture and tech, and hit a "go home" button before they might be detected by telescopes on the ground. Mission's a success, big party to celebrate all they've learned - and it's interrupted by "aliens". They explain that they're actually the descendants of the dinosaurs, and with their 65-million-year head start on us, they'd developed time travel long ago. At one point, they decided to sent a spaceship/time machine back to see what would happen if An Asteroid wiped out their ancestors...

Dinosaur Nexus?

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Keep having this book pop in my head when I'm at work

It's a slice of life book that takes place in the late 1800s early 1900s about a farm family, the main character is a girl and each chapter may be a separate story of her life, I specifically remember 3 specific stories, in one she is mad at her brother for some reason and stuffs his pillow with ragweed and then feels bad when he has a severe allergic reaction. Second one she finds a doll in a ditch and when they set it on the stove to dry while there eating it starts making noise and moving, turns out it was full of corn which starts popping, and the last I can remember is they buy a trunk or crate from some gypsies without knowing what was in it. I think it turned out to be full of bent nails or other scrap metal and I learned the term pig in a poke from the story.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

'Fraid I can't help you, but your description made me think of a series I read and quite enjoyed. The story follows a slave who is the only one who can help the ruling family's scion with his demon-haunted dreams. The slave is a demon killer in his dreams, which is how you fight demons in this world.

The prince he's helping starts off a terrible person but gradually learns humility and humanity thanks to the slave. In the end he leads a rebellion against his despotic father. (He might also be turned into a tiger at one point?) The slave is at first forced to help him, but they end up working together to save the slave's people.

The books had a sort of Eastern-flavoured setting, while the people that the slave was from were characterised as humble shepherd types, very lowly and not warrior-like at all. The series was written by a female author, I think.

Help!

Carol Berg's The Rai-Kirah series

Transformation (ISBN 0-451-45795-1) (2000)
Revelation (ISBN 0-451-45842-7) (2001)
Restoration (ISBN 0-451-45890-7) (2002)

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Had a book pop in my head at work today
Sci-fi/Fantasy
Future where mankind has developed interstellar travel, family moves to this planet where the whole city is inside a giant robot plant thing, I think. Also the kid in the family goes to school and uses a toy duck to make a translator for the robot/nanobots I remember specifically that they use it on a door and the door says it hurts and later they see the door getting repaired. and then it gets taken away and rebooted. I think there was a robotic uprising shortly after that and everyone realized they were too reliant on the robot and didn't treat them well. Also I think space travel was don by folding space and was explained in the book using a handkerchief as an analogy for space. Any ideas or am I just insane?

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Elohssa Gib posted:

Had a book pop in my head at work today
Sci-fi/Fantasy
Future where mankind has developed interstellar travel, family moves to this planet where the whole city is inside a giant robot plant thing, I think. Also the kid in the family goes to school and uses a toy duck to make a translator for the robot/nanobots I remember specifically that they use it on a door and the door says it hurts and later they see the door getting repaired. and then it gets taken away and rebooted. I think there was a robotic uprising shortly after that and everyone realized they were too reliant on the robot and didn't treat them well. Also I think space travel was don by folding space and was explained in the book using a handkerchief as an analogy for space. Any ideas or am I just insane?

Still wondering about this, only thing I can think to expand on this is the handkerchief metaphor, basically they explain that to travel it's like two points on opposite corners of a hankie where if you had to fly it straight would take way too long and take way too much fuel so some how they are able to fold space so that the points are touching and then they travel just that short distance and then unfold space again and they're at the destination. I really need to find this book again so I can stop wondering about it when I'm trying to work.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

navyjack posted:

They have used it in half a dozen stories about folding space. Most recent example I can think of is actually a fantasy version. Rand and Egwene use it as a description of Traveling in the Wheel of Time series.

I was afraid of that, the only other real specific thing I can remember is that the kid in the book goes to a day care or preschool makes a friend and they get this robot duck dictionary thing, I think it's supposed to be educational but they somehow are able to make it translate what the nanobots are saying and get it taken away when they tell someone about a damaged door that was saying it hurt, they may also have used it as a skeleton key to get out of the daycare/school.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

Elohssa Gib, I've been searching for your book too, since I love children's (assuming it's a children's book?) sci-fi and fantasy with weird settings. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything :( Do you remember any details of the cover, perhaps?

It wasn't a kids book, unfortunately my copy had no front cover as I got it in the early 90s from the stack of unsold paperbacks to be returned in the back room of a college bookstore when I was around 8 or 9. I think I remember it was kind of a dark story near the end with the doors being controlled by nanobots so when they revolted people were trapped in there rooms and couldn't leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Gonna try this again maybe someone will recognize it.
Read a book ages ago, around the early 90s. Family moves to new planet because the dad was either an ambassador or got a new job the. City where they live has robot servants and nanotechnology. There ends up being an uprising and all the robots quit and the nanotechnology doors stop working. Family ends up negotiating truce between humans and robots. Only really specific things I remember are a scene when they are entering the city the elevator the are on is described as being like a cell in a tree/plant, and another scene the young child of the family is in a daycare and is given a translator/learning toy that I think was in the shape of a duck, that he somehow with his friend use to open the nanodoors and specifically when they point it at one door the door says its side hurts. After they get caught outside the daycare they tell the nanny/teacher robot what the door said. The duck gets taken away and when it's returned it is basically at a factory reset and they can't get it to translate for the doors any more but they do see the door that said it was sore getting repaired.
Any help at all in finding this book would be fantastic as I've been looking for a long time now.