Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There was a cheap horror novel in my high school library that I remember distinctly as being extremely depressing. It was a zombie novel, where the end of the book involved all the zombies suddenly falling over dead, followed by a supervirus wiping out the remaining humans, and finally Zombie George HW Bush hitting the nuclear button and destroying everything. For my seventeen-year-old self, it was utterly bizarre to see a book that ended not merely that bleakly, but in such a "Okay, gently caress my characters" sort of way.

I've been thinking for the last ten years that it was Robert McCallum's Swan Song, but looking at the book's Amazon page, it can't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

A long time ago, I read a horror novel that was by somebody with the last name King. I remember the dedication at the front of the book acted like he was Stephen King's cousin or something, and he was going to "scare the poo poo" out of his famous relative.

I don't remember the name of the book or the author's first name, though. It was a truly awful book, but I had a conversation years after I'd read it that made me want to track it down again, and naturally, I can't.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wanderer posted:

There was a cheap horror novel in my high school library that I remember distinctly as being extremely depressing. It was a zombie novel, where the end of the book involved all the zombies suddenly falling over dead, followed by a supervirus wiping out the remaining humans, and finally Zombie George HW Bush hitting the nuclear button and destroying everything. For my seventeen-year-old self, it was utterly bizarre to see a book that ended not merely that bleakly, but in such a "Okay, gently caress my characters" sort of way.

I've been thinking for the last ten years that it was Robert McCallum's Swan Song, but looking at the book's Amazon page, it can't be.

Quoting myself from a few years ago. I reminded myself just now that I still couldn't remember the name of the book or the author. It would have had to have been published before 1995 or so.

(Also, Swan Song is $1.99 on Kindle right now, if anyone's interested.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm hoping to figure out the name and author of a dystopian children's/young adult novel. It couldn't have been written any later than 1990 or so, because I think I remember reading it in sixth grade.

It was set in a near-future America where pollution had rendered a lot of the world difficult to inhabit. The viewpoint character was a kid in a family that secretly grew tomatoes and raised rabbits for food instead of eating weird chemical crap, and nearly got in trouble for it with the local authoritarian law.

The ending involved the viewpoint character going into cryogenic storage, intending to let the Earth recover while he and his companions slept.

Any ideas?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, that's almost certainly it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I read a science fiction book a few years ago, which was a vaguely cyberpunk story about a private detective in a fictional city. I remember very little about the actual plot, but a significant feature of the world was that almost every woman in the city was effectively transgender, including the protagonist's initial love interest. For some reason, it was vanishingly rare to run into a cisgender woman.

It wasn't dealt with that delicately, of course, which made me think the book might've been older than I thought; the topic was in this strange place where it was both a constantly-discussed part of the narrative and also not particularly relevant to what was ostensibly the main storyline.

(I'm trying to be delicate about this. I apologize if I've failed.)

Any ideas what book this might've been?

Edit: Someone DM'd me, and I'm now reasonably certain this was George Effinger's When Gravity Falls. Thank you.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 16, 2023