Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doedipus
Nov 21, 2006

Doeder than Doed.
I had stupidly posted a separate thread looking for a fantasy novel and was directed here. Here's the details:

I've asked friends, in person and via the internet, but no one has any idea. I like to think of it is my first nerdy experience, and I'd like to reread it now that I'm in my mid-twenties. Here's what I remember about it, but bear in mind that I was really young so I might not have the details right.

-I believe it was hardcover, was about 1.5" thick, and was either young adult or adult fantasy (didn't seem kid-ish, if that makes sense.)
-The sidekick character was a big porcupine or hedgehog thing.
-There was some sort of female imp or faerie that followed the main male character around. I think she was only visible to him, but I may be wrong. I also believe she at one point tickled his groin to mess with him.
-I believe this character was referred to as a "daemon", but I may be wrong. I seem to remember asking my parents if a "daemon" was the same thing as a "demon". She seemed more like an odd familiar than anything.

Is this ringing any bells? Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I know this is a bit of a longshot but I do appreciate your help.

Oh, and I did get one recommendation of Piers Anthony's "Vale of the Vole". That might be it, but I honestly am not sure. I'll definitely keep that one in mind, but am wondering if it there's anything else that jumps out at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doedipus
Nov 21, 2006

Doeder than Doed.

Ballsworthy posted:

Yeah, but how do you read a Xanth book and not know it's a Xanth book?

Because I read it once, and it was almost 20 years ago when I was in Elementary School? Sorry, I might've forgotten to mention that in the re-post. I'm glad it ended up being something along the obvious lines, and I'll be sure to go pick up a copy for nostalgia's sake. Thanks!