Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I'm looking for a book I really liked as a kid. I would love to read it again because it was basically the reason I became fascinated by history(which led to me now studying History, yay!).

The book followed multiple generations, the first being settlers coming to America, starting a colony. Their leader may or may not have been called Murdoch. I remember that they nearly died out as they didn't know how to survive, those remaining after a harsh winter(or epidemic, can't remember) start traveling and then come into contact with a tribe of Indians. They end up living with them and at some point even ruling them, teaching them English and such.
The next part of the book is about that tribe of Indians, who have now become a mixed breed of European and Indian. Their culture is also mixed, they speak something between English and their native language, have some weird customs and have developed a kind of religion around the Europeans. Their holy book is the journal the original captain(maybe Murdoch) kept about his adventures. At the end of the chapter the book becomes lost because the priest or something that took care of it died in the snow.
The final part is about the Indian tribe being discovered by the Americans who start to study them but because of their contact with them the entire tribe is wiped out by the flu. (Also there was a steam boat...)

I really want to read it again, it made such a big impression on me at the time that I can still remember the general storyline after 10 years or so... :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I'm trying to find a book I really loved as a kid, although it wasn't really a children's book as far as I can remember.

It's a historical fiction about a group of British settlers landing in America and trying to establish a community. The captain writes his experiences down in a diary. Lots of the settlers die due to famine/illnesses during the winter, can't remember how or why but I think they then decide to try the forest instead of staying at the coast. I can't remember whether the book follows them here but they meet a tribe of indians who take them in, leaving no trace of them at the original camp but a tree with a word carved in it or something like that. I think the leader becomes the leader of the native american tribe.

Fast forward many years, one tribe of native americans occiasionally has blonde children and some weird myths about people with strange weapons who gave them knowledge and spoke another language. All they have left of them is one book, the captain's logbook, which only their holy woman can read because only she knows the holy language. The book becomes lost when something bad happens to the camp.

Fast forward even more years, white people want to build something in the reserve where the aforementioned tribe now lives, something about streamboats and the chief coming aboard to negotiate and a shootout. Also all the members of the tribe die because of contact with foreign diseases(a regular flu?) brought in by tourists. Everyone is dead, the end.

It made such an impression on me when I was 9(I remember all this from 11 years ago...) that I really want to read it again, please help me SA!

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

navyjack posted:

Well, the first part is a narration of the actual events surrounding the disappearance of the Roanoke colony.

Thanks, I think I found it! :3: