Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Some dude has a videogame, were you shoot shadow creature things. Eventually, you get sucked into the game and are physically there, shooting monsters until you win. Dude and his friends all play the game over and over and start getting addicted and seeing dark cracks in the corners of their vision and start acting like dicks. I remember the ending was dumb but I don't remember why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Clipperton posted:

Possibly the none-more-eighties

HOT

drat

edit: it's a trilogy ??? :psyduck:

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 28, 2015

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

504 posted:

A collection of stories, I read in school so roughly the mid 90s..

It was a collection of "creepy" stories supposedly told by country folk and handed down by word of mouth (all fiction of course that was just to sell the book)

Stories were:

A burnt in devils hoofprint that would not wash off a window
The tale of a "water witch" that drowned people trying to cross her river
A sinkhole that people throw pennies into, two brothers steal some and are tormented overnight

The copy I read was hardback with a water color painted cover of figures with no faces.

Could it be Strangely Enough ?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Along those lines, it was a book where the technology was such that you could save your memories up to that point, and then if you died that clone would be activated again. One of the characters rejects some dude and saves a backup, and then goes on some mission where she dies. She gets a dying message back to her activated clone that says she really should have hooked up with that dude, and the clone is "ahaha no that guy sucks" and dismisses it. Also (pretty sure the same book) two dudes who drowned in a swamp get resurrected, and are horrified to discover that people thought they were lovers and in the interim between recovering the bodies and having the technology to resurrect them, made a giant statue out of their dying moments

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dude gets teleported or something into a fantasy/primitive realm, heavily "island paradise" tribally themed. Dude gets a native wife, and then later on travels to another tribe where he cheats on his wife with a girl who can't say his name right and calls him "Rob-Rrt" or something. There were also these weird butterflies that were attracted by fruit juice that would drip a nasty acid-poison, the main character is badly wounded by one early on and kills the badguy at the end of the book with a swarm of them

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It was a goosebumps-era book, not horror but targeted at that same age bracket. The main character(or possibly a side character) lives at a walmart-style super store, hiding in it at night. The only solid detail I remember is that at one point they decide to get bubblegum flavored popcorn, the concept of which apparently disgusted me so much it left decades old mental scars.

edit: I don't think it is, Secrets Of The Shopping Mall after flipping through that

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 15, 2017

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Humans are all dead, but get resurrected by tree aliens, who also make them immortal. They travel the galaxy in a giant tree ship trying to find out why humans all died out, turns out there's like some rotating gyre of gamma beams or something that wipes the galaxy clean every X amount of years

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Short story, might have been Stephen King, where some kids get a weird wire toy that completely befuddles all adults. Eventually a scientist looks at it and is also stumped but at least determines that the toy is using higher dimensions and that adult minds are already too set in their ways to comprehend it. Before they can be stopped the kids use their knowledge to travel to said higher dimensions. The end! No moral

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Thanks, this is definitely it, though all the time travel and alice in wonderland parts got memory-holed

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dude gets sucked into a fantasy world, discovers that their magic system can like, be translated into binary or something and uses that to become super good at magic. There was also a dumb sub-plot where the love interest thought he was only interested in her because she cast a love spell on him, but it turned out the spell didn't work to begin with. In the end he actually loses to the head evil guy because he's still a novice with no stamina but another wizard saves the day (the only interesting part). I feel like riding dragons may have featured

Popped into my head because it's basically one of those garbage isekai stories but it had to be at least a decade or two old and before those got really big

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I've intentionally forgotten most of it but sounds a bit like Off To Be The Wizard

That was too recent, however you still get the credit as reading that books description led me to google "magic is computer code book" which popped up Wizards Bane which is what I was looking for

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/631233.Wizard_s_Bane#bookDetails
(Fun fact the main characters name is literally Wiz)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sounds like it could be Mortal Engines

Edit: for some reason I read that multiple times as "big city in a huge CARAVAN" , gonna go lie down

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 27, 2021

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

ScienceSeagull posted:

Trying to find a folktale/ parable that goes like this:

This is the variation I am familiar with:

quote:

Several centuries ago, a priest and a rabbi agreed on having a religious debate.
The Jewish people met and picked an aged and wise rabbi to represent them in the debate. However, as the rabbi spoke no Italian, and the priest spoke no Yiddish, they agreed that it would be a “silent” debate.
On the chosen day the priest and rabbi sat opposite each other. The priest raised his hand and showed three fingers. The rabbi looked back and raised one finger. Next, the priest waved his finger around his head. The rabbi pointed to the ground where he sat. The priest brought out a communion wafer and a chalice of wine. The rabbi pulled out an apple. With that, the priest stood up and declared himself beaten and said that the rabbi was too clever. The Jews had won.

Later the cardinals met with the priest and asked him what had happened. The priest said,
“First I held up three fingers to represent the Trinity. He responded by holding up a single finger to remind me there is still only one God common to both our beliefs. Then, I waved my finger around my head to show him that God was all around us. The rabbi responded by pointing to the ground to show that God was also right here with us. I pulled out the wine and wafer to show that God absolves us of all our sins, and the rabbi pulled out an apple to remind me of the original sin. He bested me at every move and I could not continue.”

Meanwhile, the Jewish community gathered to ask the rabbi how he’d won. “I haven’t a clue,” said the rabbi. “First, he told me that he was going to beat me in three rounds, so I gave him the finger. Then he tells me that I was beating around the bush and I told him to get straight to the point.”
“And then what?” asked a woman. “Who knows?” said the rabbi. “He took out his lunch so I took out mine.”

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Humanity is extinct or something, and some tree-like aliens resurrect them and also make them immortal. And then they sent them off in a spaceship, also possibly shaped like a tree, and the humans go off to find earth or something. Turns out theres a gigantic rotating gamma ray burst thing that wipes out all life in the galaxy every hundred million years

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yuuuuuup that's it! I recognize the old cover with the dragonfly nymph alien and the weird walker. Apparently I've only ever read the sequel? Thanks a ton that's been bothering me off and on for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Another story I believe is about a child in an alien class where they commit a faux pas by giving away something irreplaceable, I think, like a photograph, or something to that effect, and there's a whole discussion about teenage liminality and how they're neither really a child nor an adult, and they end up getting the photograph back. If I'm recalling this correctly, this actually interesting bit of late-childhood/early adulthood writing is immediately cut short by a joke about an alien race who communicates by devastatingly noxious flatulence.

So, this might be Bruce Coville's "I, Earthling" from Bruce Coville's Book of Aliens, through the haze of memory