Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Two stories, both Sci-Fi:

One about the Soviet astronaut left to die on the Moon because they can't figure out a way to get him back to Earth.

The other about HP Lovecraft and Robert Howard teaming up in Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Nrapture posted:

Shadow's Bend by David Barbour?

Not really. The one I read was a short story. It's about this weird afterlife in which everybody that ever lived appears in flesh, sort of like the Riverworld saga. The great military leaders of their age such as Queen Elizabeth, Genghis Khan and others organize vast armies. HP and Howard serve as courtiers to the Queen Elizabeth. Another character that appears is the Swiss humanitarian Dr. Schweitzer. There are all kinds of humans inhabit that strange world, thought to be Hell. Neanderthals are mentioned, as well as Celts, victims of the Black Plague and others. Oh, and Lovecraft and Howard are a gay couple.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Death Hamster posted:

"Gilgamesh in the Outback" by Robert Silverberg

That's the one, thank you

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I remember a story, probably by Robert Reed, about a Buddhist civilization on Earth peacefully submitting to invading aliens. The problem is, he is very prolific and I can't find which one among the hundreds of his stories is this particular one.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Eliza posted:

Posing a question for someone without an SA account, here.

It's a short story written as a stream-of-consciousness monologue by a man entering an office building and going to work. The entire story takes place between him entering the building and reaching the top of the escalator to his workplace.
He doesn't remember anything else about it.

It's allegedly really good, but I'm afraid I never heard of it, nor anyone else I know. Not much to go on, I know.

This one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mezzanine

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Looking for a novel (or a series?) about well-meaning robots enslaving the humanity to prevent people from doing anything risky.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

With Folded Hands and sequels, by Jack Williamson.

(Hahahaha! Yes! Me again! Go me!)

That's the one! I was thinking of Humanoids, that is. I even searched for Hominids and found only the neanderthal alternate history series.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

E: gently caress, beaten

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I was talking to some dude in a hip german sausage place today and he was telling me about a book that was translated from French, and in it the author only speaks in like first person declarative sentences. He said it was on some list of best translated foreign books, the title starts with "auto". It's also pretty short, like 125 pages.

http://www.dalkeyarchive.com/book/?GCOI=15647100384770

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

What was the name of that contemporary novel set in the Irish countryside in which the church burns down and unspeakable acts are comitted with a sheep?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

mirthdefect posted:

Did a guy inject saline into his ballsack in it too? Probably Warren Ellis' Crooked Little Vein.

No. I might have been a little bit unclear. The novel came out maybe ten years ago, but the setting is, I think, historical. Everybody is very poor, as well, and I think it was written as the priest's diary.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

"Kin" by Bruce McAllister. Its one of my favourites.

Read it for free here, buddy: http://www.spacewesterns.com/articles/100/

Whoa, it's the Alien alien, isn't it?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I remember a short story about an Arab, possibly a trade representative, sent to America in a dystopian future in which Islam rules the world. America is dirt poor, and there might've been a plot about a woman that sings in a bar, which the protagonist finds most unusual.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

House Louse posted:

Is it "Seven American Nights" by Gene Wolfe?

Yes! Thank you!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

It's a short story that I'm pretty sure I read after someone else asked about it in this thread.

I think it's sci-fi but I can't really remember why I think that. The plot is something to do with a military leader returning to his home after fighting in some sort of massive battle. Some other soldiers turn up and make trouble and he is forced to kill them. I know that's vague but I think the story was purposefully vague and short of details itself.

It's the one of the best genre stories ever IMO: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/quietwar.htm

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

That was fast, thanks!

It's a really good story. Do you know if the rest of his writing is as strong?

According to wikipedia his most recent novels have been Star Trek stuff and something called 'The Dragon Hammer, Wulf's Saga Book 1' which looks like the most generic kind of fantasy possible. It seems kind of bizarre that he's writing that sort of stuff given how impressive A Dry, Quiet War is.

I don't know, never read anything else.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Beaten, but it's in one of the science fiction hall of fame collections, edited by Robert silver beef I think. Absolute classic and highly recommended.

I am not familiar with Mr Beef's work

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

A short story from an old sci-fi short story collection.

A colony ship landed on this planet centuries ago, not knowing that the system had a second sun that came through regularly, every 17 years, I think. When that happens crazy storms and earthquakes and massive temperature spike makes the planet uninhabitable, except at the north pole. So every 17 years, everybody has to pack up everything they can carry and head for the north pole. After generations of this they've lost all their advanced technology, and most people think the story of humans arriving on the planet in a metal sky ship is just some retarded myth their ancestors cooked up.

The main character is the only on in the village who still believes the truth, that there's people on other planets and humans came from the sky. He tries to keep the truth alive by telling people but it just makes people mad that he runs around talking those old fables. The exodus to the north pole is coming up soon and the MC is constantly whining that he can't take enough books, because everybody only has so much room for personal belongings and nobody else is willing to help the dude carry books. It's kind of set up like you think he's talking about classic novels, like in Fahrenheit 451, but halfway through you find out he's talking about books like, "How to Build a Windmill"

Then this funny looking dude comes to town, and claims to be from a far away village. One night he confides in the MC that he's actually a spaceman, a scout sent to check out the world. The space people are definitely going to come back and help, but because of space reasons it's not gonna be immediate, it might not even be for decades. The important thing is that the MC needs to stop talking about space people. It just makes the other villagers angry, so it could gently caress up the rescue if the space people show up and the natives are mad at them. The MC agrees to stop talking about space people, secure in the knowledge that they're coming back to help

Then you find out the funny looking dude is actually just a guy from a couple villages over that the village leader met while at a neighboring village preparing for the northward exodus, and he's doing the village leader a favor by getting the weirdo to shut up.

:laffo:

I'm sorry, I just find this hilariously depressive.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

yaffle posted:

Was it something by Iain M Banks? The trailer seemed really familier to me as well.

Banks happens to mention that killing yourself to get into one of machine-ran heavens is frowned upon in societies that maintain that sort of afterlife. I think it concerns the Chel heaven in Look to Windward, although there is some discussion of artificial heavens in mostly hell-oriented Surface Detail. I don't remember a subplot in which people did kill themselves to be together in the afterlife, and I've reread both books fairly recently.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hughlander posted:

This is probably the wrong thread for it, but are there any good books from the point of view of people or a society that are truly immortal and have more than 40 or 50 thousand years of experience? I know there's things like Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny, but for all their agelessness it feels like they've only lived for 5-10k years. (Except maybe Benedict.) There's the various Warhammer 40k or DC Vandal Savage characters but I'm interested in something about the fantasy/sci-fi society that long long term immortals would create.

Only other one I can think of is Mutineer's Moon by David Weber but a main point of that was that the people who lived for 50k years were in a totally static society and were afraid to change anything.

Reynolds' House of Suns

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

uvar posted:

SF book, maybe from the 70s? Aliens appear on earth and build cities of crystal and light, but don't communicate with us. I'm not sure if I ever actually read it because I think I'm remembering the blurb instead of the actual story. That's not a lot to go on, but I remember the cover too - my memory and artistic skills are not good enough for Google, but maybe someone here might recognise it?

A man crouches behind a rock in the desert at night, looking at a vast structure of glowing coloured lines in the distance.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Something I’ve read fairly recently. Possibly just one of the threads in a larger novel or some kind of a dream/hallucination within another story: a boy travels from a rural area to a large fantasy-type city. I think he might’ve been orphaned and the road was very perilous. In the city he becomes sort of an apprentice in the local police force analogue, although he could’ve gone the other way and become a criminal. Pretty soon he solves a big case/conflict/riot although he still has junior status. The city is possibly under threat of invasion or some kind of disaster? That’s all I’ve got, aside from a strong feeling all of this was actually happening on the sidelines of a wider sci-fi story.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Isolationist posted:

Shot in the dark here, but the galaxy-wide Edeard flashbacks in Peter F Hamilton's Dreaming Void series?

Summary;
Edeard, an orphan and apprentice, lives in Ashwell, a town in Rulan province. A gifted psychic, Edeard is trained by Master Akeem in crafting and modding. Initially a loner, Edeard comes to prominence in his village after designing an alternative pump mechanism for the local well. Unfortunately Edeard's luck changes for the worse after Ashwell is raided by bandits. Forced to flee, Edeard joins the local caravan and travels to Makkathran the capital of Querencia. In Makkathran, Edeard joins the constables and after a brutal couple of months in training, Edeard graduates.

Yes, thank you! That’s why I don’t remember how the story ended - I abandoned the book because I didn’t like the main plot. But there was something rather compelling about these dream sequences.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Nope, thank you though. Maybe I'm misremembering because nobody can find it anywhere (and neither can I!)

One of the two books narrated by a self-insert doctor by Celine? The horror is human existence

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

There’s an AI gun in David Gunn’s Death’s Head novels. Can’t think of one in Culture novels that matches the description.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

This is EXACTLY it! Thank you!

Now here's another I read in roughly the same time: People start discovering crystals around the world, which end up being actually a collection of uploaded alien minds with the express goal of getting earth's civilizations to make more of them before modern civilization falls, which the uploaded minds believe is inevitable. I want to say it was by Greg Bear or Benford. I remember the stones were called "corproliths" and the uploaded minds were lead by "OM" the Oldest Member, who was eventually theorized not to be an upload at all, but basically an AI virus which was trying to create more of itself.

That sounds an awful lot like the completely unnecessary reveal at the end of Tim Powers’ Dinner at Deviant’s Palace

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sanford posted:

A story about a boy who’s mother is dying and he has to travel across America to the coast which is repeatedly referred to as “the place where the sea meets the sky”. He can sidestep into another dimension, and I think he was special because he doesn’t have an alternate self there. This means he steps into the equivalent place to where he is now, rather than to where his double is in the other dimension. This bit is really really confusing to me and I can’t work out how it worked. I think a villain had a club foot in one or other dimension, because when the hero switched between he noticed tracks in the sand where this version had been dragging his foot around.

If anyone knows what I’m on about and can tell me how the whole dimension hopping thing worked that would be great.

Talisman by Stephen King

e:not sure about the dimension hopping, I know the alternate reality was somehow smaller so you travelled faster through it. Might’ve had something to do with the titular talisman.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sanford posted:

Haha what the gently caress dude I hadn’t even finished posting

Edit: I just read the synopsis on wikipedia. Is it as bad as it sounds? I read it aged about 10 and remember being enthralled.

It’s a good book for a child to read. I might’ve been 14 at the most and it was a great read at the time. I don’t think it would really work for an adult.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

There was this story about humans evolved for a much colder world in the far future. They live on ice floes and survive by sucking plankton or algae out of the ice they chew. Once your teeth decay, you’re as good as dead. The protagonist sets out to find some fabled land or something and eventually discovers a paradise island heated by geothermal energy. turns out “normal” humans live there and freak out when they meet our blubbery protagonist

Probably read it in a magazine a couple of decades ago.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Bookish posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the same story I asked about quite a while ago and it turned out to be Huddle by Stephen Baxter. That one really sticks with you!

I’ll check it out, thanks. It stuck with me, yeah!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Aliens scout Earth, deem it an easy target for invasion, and return with their invasion force many years later. The problem is by the time they return human technology has advanced far further than they anticipated and Earth is now capable of putting up a substantial fight. I can't remember the name and it's driving me crazy.

That would be Turtledove’s Worldwar series

e:fb

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

This is terrible, he uses his knowledge of the upcoming Armageddon to pressure a 14 year old girl into sex

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Yes it does

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

what is the relatively famous horror short story about the british guy whose car breaks down and he is coerced to spending the night at a hotel where everything is slightly too warm and you have to eat and eat and eat (because leaving food insults the chef) and there is potentially a murder or doppelgänger etc.

The Hospice by Robert Aickman?

e: fb

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Goons! We need the dickgun story title, seriously. Someone bring in one of the thread wizards to solve this mystery.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It’s Aickman’s The Hospice

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It has this tendency to stick with you and make you forget the author or where you’d read it. I know I experienced it myself. I guess that the oneiric quality in it really shines and plants it somewhere near the unconscious. That’s why we get it that often in this thread.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I believe that a similar idea comes up in Iain M. Banks's Culture series.

Up to a point. Conservative religious societies develop Bruegelian hells in which they torment digitalized sinners to make their religious doctrines reality. It’s peak Banks, totally needlessly gruesome stuff, I think it happens in his second to last book.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

navyjack posted:

I’m gonna post this in the SFF thread too, but does anybody remember a book with a magic system that had practitioners learning foreign languages as a kind of “magical circuit breaker” in their minds? Like it could be Klingon or French or Old Estruscan, but the one step remove from being their native language kept the magical energies from blasting their minds apart? I need to know if I’m imagining this or if it’s real so I can use it in something if I made it up.

Either this is real or we're both imagining. However, I haven't read Dresden so it's probably Bakker, I guess? Let us know which one it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

verbal enema posted:

This was i think a polish book translated to English. I think it took place in the late 60s early 70s and some guy gets at this goverment facility that is FULL of spies. Everyone is spying on everyone there for eachother and their bosses but also for their personal enemies and blah blah. The main character is understandably completely confused as he's just bounced around this place.

help

It's Lem. Memoirs Found in a Bathtub