Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
God dammit now I am remembering this book.

I think it was a short story though, and not an entire book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding?

Haven't read it myself, but the way it was described to me was "Firefly in a sci fi fantasy sort of world". The first book is called Retribution Falls. Here's the plot synopsis.

quote:

Frey is the captain of the Ketty Jay, leader of a small and highly dysfunctional band of layabouts. An inveterate womaniser and rogue, he and his gang make a living on the wrong side of the law, avoiding the heavily armed flying frigates of the Coalition Navy. With their trio of ragged fighter craft, they run contraband, rob airships and generally make a nuisance of themselves. So a hot tip on a cargo freighter loaded with valuables seems like a great prospect for an easy heist and a fast buck. Until the heist goes wrong, and the freighter explodes. Suddenly Frey isn't just a nuisance anymore - he's public enemy number one, with the Coalition Navy on his tail and contractors hired to take him down. But Frey knows something they don't. That freighter was rigged to blow, and Frey has been framed to take the fall. If he wants to prove it, he's going to have to catch the real culprit. He must face liars and lovers, dogfights and gunfights, Dukes and daemons. It's going to take all his criminal talents to prove he's not the criminal they think he is ...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of the Boys by Lawrence Watt-Evans, anthology called Superheroes. Came out in 95.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I read it last year or the year before. It was a pretty good story, kinda sticks with ya :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No idea what it is, but it really doesn't sound like Eddings. I tend to reread his stuff about once a year and nothing really sounds familiar with that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The House by Bentley Little?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
ZNA by Matthew Boyd?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I read this maybe..10 or 15 years ago.

I can't recall if it was a short story or a novel but the basic premise was, guy gets shot like 9 times, dies and goes to hell.

Hell turns out to not be as big a shithole as you imagine, since all the "fun" people end up there.

There really is only one rule, and that is DON'T LOOK IN THE CLOSET , or DON'T gently caress WITH THE THING IN THE CLOSET. I can't recall which.

Dude's having a great time, but since he's a total loving idiot, he decides to poke around in the closet and messes with the thing, and it ends up lobbing him back up into his body right after he'd been called by the paramedics, i.e all shot up and hosed up, but alive and you know, completely screwed.

Any ideas?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I read this maybe..10 or 15 years ago.

I can't recall if it was a short story or a novel but the basic premise was, guy gets shot like 9 times, dies and goes to hell.

Hell turns out to not be as big a shithole as you imagine, since all the "fun" people end up there.

There really is only one rule, and that is DON'T LOOK IN THE CLOSET , or DON'T gently caress WITH THE THING IN THE CLOSET. I can't recall which.

Dude's having a great time, but since he's a total loving idiot, he decides to poke around in the closet and messes with the thing, and it ends up lobbing him back up into his body right after he'd been called by the paramedics, i.e all shot up and hosed up, but alive and you know, completely screwed.

Any ideas?

Still haven't figure that one out, but I have a new one as well.

I don't recall much about the novel, but it was a fantasy novel, and there were gods or god like people around with attendants who collected all kinds of fluids from em (urine, poop, blood, etc) and called em "humours".

I don't remember if this is a second book I am mixing up with the above god poop collecting one, but I THINK there was some guy who had a big black handprint on his chest from when a god lady got killed by something, and it turned him into a godling kinda person, except when he broke a finger or bone some big loving dragon looking thing would rear out of the hand print and gently caress up the holy poo poo of whoever was annoying him. It was.. I dunno, some kinda bugfuck crazy mist dragon death thing.

It first showed up when he got his hand broken by a hammer by a guard in jail during his sentencing or questioning.

So.. either it's 2 books I am loving up by remembering them together, or it's one book (or part of a series of books) where people collect god poo poo and this guy has a magic dragon living in his handprint on his chest.

No idea how old the book is, but I'd have read it in the last 5 years or so.

EDIT - Found it. Godslayer series by James Clemens.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 21, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I remember one like that, but it had some idiot guy fall in love with the girl in the family (it was a farm).

He went into the field, and they ate him, then noticed OH poo poo NSA ALL UP IN MY BIDNESS and altered something to make it impossible to view them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ok, can't remember if this was a book, a short story, or a movie line.

Can't even really remember much BESIDES this, so I am utterly lost. Might have been something I either read or saw in the last year.

Basically, guy is talking with another guy, and offers him a sword. Guy responds he already has one, and the guy offering says something to the effect of "It's trash, this one is special from some smith and has been folded etc number of times all other swords are trash before it."

I cannot remember wtf that was from and it's driving me nuts.

Any helps appreciated.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah.

Got it.

It was a line from a lovely book I quit reading. Red Moon Demon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:ohdear:

It was my prime rental for the month.

I thought "Hey, how horrible can it really be?" and the answer is "pretty god damned horrible".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trying to remember a short story or a book that was mentioned earlier in either this thread or an earlier incarnation of it.

Guy gets flown by helicopter to this place out in the desert, where there's this giant hole in the ground. He's a reporter, and some multi jillionaire has decided to take up this SECRET PROJECT and requested him.

Turns out the SECRET PROJECT was somehow falling into a giant hole in the ground and travelling through time?

I remember something about some sort of space shark? attacking the time sub thing, and the end of the story was something along the lines of "They went through with it a second time to see if they could something something, but no one heard from them again".

Pretty sure it's a short story.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Got one that is driving me nuts.

It's an airport fictiony kinda book. I would have read it anywhere from the late 90s till early 2000's.

I don't recall anything about the book, other than the main character being the WORLD'S BEST TRACKER, and he's trying to find some kid lost in the woods. There's a few speeches in the opener about how dumb people are about their own survival in the woods, and then he finds the kid.

Later on I think he ends up fighting vampires or something in the woods, but I think they were science! vampires or something instead of the "dark lord of emo" kind of vampires. It might not be vampires, but I do remember him being stalked by something on or near a river.

I can't remember anything else about it other than that, but if someone can figure it out please let me know. I am stumped on this one.

HAH!

The book is called Hunter. James Byron Huggins wrote it.

Damned if I can find my copy of it though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trying to remember this one. It's a paperback I read with a purple? cover. I bought it maybe 4-5 years ago at wal mart, so it has/had a national release or at least a big one.

It's a book about callers that call into this night radio show and talk about all the weird, spooky poo poo that goes on.

I cannot remember the name of it though. It's driving me nuts.

The only story I remember was some guy who called in and was talking about how he missed his wife, and he was a scientist who worked with alternate dimensions, and no one ever remembered him because he was falling through them all the time, and the story kept calling him different names and whatnot.

Any ideas?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trying to remember this one. It's a paperback I read with a purple? cover. I bought it maybe 4-5 years ago at wal mart, so it has/had a national release or at least a big one.

It's a book about callers that call into this night radio show and talk about all the weird, spooky poo poo that goes on.

I cannot remember the name of it though. It's driving me nuts.

The only story I remember was some guy who called in and was talking about how he missed his wife, and he was a scientist who worked with alternate dimensions, and no one ever remembered him because he was falling through them all the time, and the story kept calling him different names and whatnot.

Any ideas?

Turns out it's Ghost Radio by L. Gout.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My friend asked me about a book I know I read, and he can't remember it either, and it's driving us both insane.

It's an airport fictiony book.

It has something to do with nanotech or something really close to it, and it has to do with gold.

We both remember a scene where they are testing a golden cross in a lab, and the bad guys break in, and it turns out the golden cross is what they are looking for.

I thought it might have been Temple by Matt Reilly but after a quick glance it doesn't seem to be the case.

Timeline for having read it is the last 20 years or so. Doesn't narrow it down much, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't written before 95.

Edit - He just called. It's Excavation by James Rollins.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 10, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've got one stuck in my head from childhood so the gap for "when I read it" would be somewhere around 30 to 20 years ago.

I think it might be older though, maybe even a short story.

Basically, it's set in olden times (like 19th century england maybe?), and somehow this guy ends up killing this invisible thing, and he or a friend and him put clay or plaster of paris on it to see it and see the details, and find out these big scaly invisible monsters live in the world with us.

I think it was a hardcover, and I am about 80% sure it was a short story or included in a hardcover collection of short stories.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dammit, I want to read a book but I have completely forgotten the name of it.

Been out in the last 5 years or so.

Basic premise was a group of high tech thieves are going to rob some building, except it's either during or after a zombie breakout where the building is in the middle of a bunch of undead.

I want to say Seattle but I am in no way sure that's the city.

IIRC the cover was mostly black, like a night shot of a city skyline, and there was a building in the middle of it that was kinda lit up.

It's an ebook, I remember that much. Just lost the damned paper I had the title written on :argh:

Edit - Wow I was a bit off on the book cover. Turns out to be a book called Necropolis Rising by Dave Jeffrey. Also it takes place in the UK apparently, and not seattle.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 9, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bureau 13 , that's the last published book, Damned Nation (which was kind of a prequel to the other's that take place "nowadays" in the series).

Nick Pollota wrote em, and he will be missed :(

edit - Got one myself.

These people find a hidden wall in a basement, like a safe (they are investigators I think?) and they open it to find some guy had been trapped in there until he died. The family had thought that he had left however many years ago.

I can't recall much else about it. It was an ebook though, so it's been released or I read it sometime the last 5 years?

I remember one of the people freaking out because of how horrible it'd be to be trapped in the dark in the celler (where the hidden door was), and he had to go outside because he couldn't handle it at the moment.

Not 100% on this, but I think it was near the start of the book.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 18, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's that book about people living on a wall? Vertically.

It's... well it's a big loving wall, and they live on it. I can't remember more than that.

It's been published probably within the last 5 years or so.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Terminal world was it :)

That's been bugging me for a few days now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If it's Koontz then the book is probably Strangers.

Weird one, had a UFO in it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did they have tattoos on their feet?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the photographer one might be Embedded by Dan Arnett.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any ideas on the desert one? Sounds kinda interesting.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the roon posted:

I've seen this book on a bunch of lists for this year but can't seem to find it now. Title is single word like Apocalypse or Pestilence that takes up the whole cover of the book. Think the book itself is like a lime yellow or something. Also it's an 'episodic' trilogy in that all the books are being released this year? On the tip of my tongue but can't find it anywhere.

Annihilation?

Jeff Vandermeer is the author.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Trying to remember a book I read a few years ago. Probably no older than 10 years.

Basically, the premise of the book is these 2 old collector guys are on one of their islands (I think), and then one of the guys ends up opening a glass vial that contains preserved air from some biblical kinda time.

Turns out, WHOA THAT'S A PLAGUE and they end up killing a lot of people.

Can't really recall anything else. About 90% sure it was a paperback, and I think the cover was a tan/brown color.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't recall if this is from a book, or a story, or a movie or something instead.

All I can recall is a guy who's apparently immortal, and a line of dialogue being something like "If I had known how popular that book was going to get, I'd have chosen a different name than thomas", referring to the bible.

I thought it might be Immortal by Gene Doucette but he actually plays against the generic "immortal guy who meets everyone" trope and just says "I was in the area at the time, never met the dude".

Any helps appreciated.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kinda, cept TMFE was Jesus apparently.

I thought it might be something vampire related but the only ones I really read recently were the Bill the Vampire books, and after a quick search it's not in there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

savinhill posted:

Could it be an Anne Rice book? She's had a bunch of different ones with immortal characters. That line sounds like something one of her characters would say too.

Nah, I haven't read Rice in decades, and even then the only book I liked was the mummy one. I gave up on the vampire ones after the Interview one came out.

This is gonna bug the crap out of me , but when/if I do find it I'll post up in the thread so the rest of you now wondering will know.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got a bit of a brain bender.

I remember as a kid there was a Twilight Zone episode (I think it was a TZ episode anyway) of a guy and a woman who fell out of sync with time, and saw the people that build the world from second to second and take down the old world. This was NOT A GOOD THING since the builder guys tried to kill em or something.

I remember the episode ended with the people getting away, but the dude finds a big wrench on a box or garbage can or something that the builder guys used, and it was a DUHN DUHN DUNNNN kinda thing.

Anyone know the story it was based on?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday Was Monday by Theodore Sturgeon.

The Twilight Zone episode was A Matter of Minutes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe an incredibly hosed up take on that scene from Machete?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gorbash posted:

That would be "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, the first book in the Kingkiller chronicles.

It's very well written, but I think many are waiting on the third book to see how the whole story pulls together.

Yup ^^^^

It's incredibly well written (seriously, dude can write stories that flow VERY well), but the story itself is complete poo poo.

The first book suffers from weird goony "gonna stalk this chick", while sweet gently caress all action happens, while the second book still has a lack of action, but now the goony guy is a sex ninja who's still stalking the same chick anyway after having banged queen of the fairies.

Basically if you imagine it being narrated by Futurama's Zapp Brannigan, it's a much better book.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm trying to remember the title of this so I can post about it in the awful books thread.

Zombie apocalypse book with a self insert main character who was a cartoonist (I think the author was either a comic book writer or cartoonist or something). The main character is stuck living in a high rise with his neighbors and no one can leave due to swarms of zombies. He's single but has a hot neighbor lady below him. The neighbor lady's rear end in a top hat husband who HATES the protagonist for reasons dies a gruesome death when he falls off a balcony and is eaten. Not long after that Mr Mary Sue and Hot Lady gently caress it out like they secretly always wanted to and its awesome because Mary Sue has a much bigger dick than her recently dead husband. That part is mentioned explicitly. I think at some point a mysterious hipster girl with headphones shows up and the zombies ignore her completely. That's all I remember.

Dammit the irritating thing is I'm pretty sure I've read this poo poo novel.

I thought for a moment it might be Jam by Yahtzee, but that's more.. well, jam related than zombies. Also, no fuckin'.

I'll dig through my zombie novels and see if anything looks like it's a match. Any idea when it came out?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Saw this one mentioned somewhere else. Sounded interesting though.

It's a book that's told from the perspective of a living knife, it's some sort of mystery, and the main character is a Minotaur.

Apparently it's an e-book, from around 2004 or so.

Any ideas?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lot 49 posted:

Sci-fi story, pretty short.

A rich guy has made a time machine. The narrator tests it out with him and they go either very far into the past or very far into the future, like either the big bang or the end of the universe. At one point something sees/attacks them and I think it's described as being like a shark in some way.

drat I think I remember this one. Was the machine like a big hole in the ground?

Got it! In The Abyss off Time, by Stephen Baxter.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can't take full credit. I had asked about it earlier in the thread :)

Still, good story!