Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Teh Jawesome posted:

Ok, this one's been bugging me for ages. I remember reading a book back in elementary school in which a panther is loose outside a village (maybe in either England or New England?). The main character is a boy who is trying to convince people that the panther exists, but (if I remember correctly) no one believes him. At one point he faces off with the panther with only a pellet gun. If someone can actually figure out what this is, I'll lose my mind.
The Nature of the Beast by Janni Howker?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nature-Beast-Janni-Howker/dp/0744590329

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

GrumpyMan posted:

I read this maybe 3-4 years ago, but it may be much older, and quite possibly a sci-fi classic. I can't remember the name or author for the life of me, and it is killing me.

Two scientists on a remote planet research station (one a murderer?) fall into a hole or gateway of some sort, and awake in a new universe, where they are given new bodies. This world is divided into different sectors, which have different physics/creatures etc...

I seem to remember centaurs in one, elves in another, and some sort of evil plant or flower in another. A giant bat is one of the characters, and is revealed at the end to be someone known the protagonist. Anyone?
Jack Chalker, Midnight at the Well of Souls. First in a series.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ulalume posted:

This is a fairly recent book. It's based off the idea that so long as someone alive remembers you, you still exist in some way. After people died, they went off to have a sort of second life in this typical city. Suddenly, they start disappearing, as does the city, at a rapid rate.

Meanwhile, in the world of the living, this plague is killing off every living thing. There's a group of three people in Antarctica but they are totally cut off, supplies are dwindling and so are they. I think it's two men and a woman and I'm pretty sure her name is Amy. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the book, so if anyone can help, I'd be much obliged.
The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier. Thanks for reminding me of it; I'd meant to get hold of a copy and forgot!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

McNutty posted:

I read this book about a decade ago. It seems like the book could have been old even then though. I believe it is young adult fiction.
A small group of children are locked in some remote location with a machine. If they dance or perform for the machine it releases food. All sorts of mini-Machiavellian conflicts ensue. This description sounds crazy now that I have written it down. Any suggestion?
House of Stairs by William Sleator. drat I'm on a roll here! (It's based on Skinnerian conditioning, hence the "dancing".)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AuntieJem posted:

In a futuristic society people are made to be 100% average. Anyone with higher than average IQ is shocked every time they think complex thoughts, skinny people wear weights, etc. At the end of this short story, a couple break into a news broadcasting station, kill everyone during live TV and do some sort of dance before blowing their brains out. Any ideas? Appreciate the help.
Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Harkano posted:

Anyone help?
Me again; I love the chance to show off! I reckon you want KJ Parker's Fencer trilogy; Colours in the Steel, Belly of the Bow and, um, something else.

Ninja edit: The Proof House is the 3rd, I think.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Harkano posted:

I read these books years ago and just got into Holt in the last year or so and I love him. My mind is broken. Damned authors and their psuedonyms.

Thanks so much :D
Wow, I didn't know that either! That's quite a change of pace he's got between his names... though I suppose The Walled Orchard proved he could do other than urban fantasy humour.

And glad to help! :D

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Incitatus posted:

1) A pawnshop owner is feeding demonic dogs he keeps books, and one of the characters starts buying up the books in town to save them from being destroyed.

2)God dies and falls into the ocean and the only thing people can figure out to do with the body is to build an amusement park on it.
I think the 2nd one's James Morrow's Godhead books, but I don't have a clue about the 1st.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Twanki posted:

This is reaching quite a bit I should think, as I only ever read the blurb in a second-hand bookshop years ago.

The story is set on a gigantic submarine, apparently on a mission of ome ludicrous duration, like 100/500 years, with a succession of increasingly insane captains taking command.

The name was fairly unconnected, possibly even a made-up word, being the name of the submarine itself.

The copy I saw had a 70s/60s style sci-fi style cover which depicted a metal whale, painted somewhat like a WW2 fighter, with the mouth detail etc.
Did one captain decide he was God while doing the crossword? That would be Profundis by Richard Cowper. The UK cover's up at http://www.librarything.com/work/48967, look familiar?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Twanki posted:

You are not so much a man as a tiny god.
Not a man at all, actually, but I'll accept the praise in the spirit it was offered!

e: Serves me right!

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 26, 2008

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

soap. posted:

Thats all I can remember, but it has been bothering me for years. I read it around 2000 or 2001, I think. Thanks!
Earth Abides by George Stewart?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Aphasian posted:

The title is one word (or "the" and one word), and that word is the term for the end of the universe when all information is attainable. The book was so-so; good ideas mixed with sappiness and ridiculous speculation. What bugs me is that I really want to know the title, not to find the book again, but because it was a word that I liked immensely. All internet searches for it just return Hitchhiker's references when I try.
You're describing Tomorrow & Tomorrow by Charles Sheffield as far as I can tell, and the term used there is the Omega Point (from Teilhard de Chardin's books). Ring bells?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Aphasian posted:

Got it in one. I don't know why I thought it was a one-word title; I assume I saw the term "omega point" somewhere on the jacket or later just retconned my own memory to pick a more sci-fi title.
Cool! I was a bit dubious about suggesting it, since that didn't sound anything like the title you seemed so sure of, but the plot was so close I figured it had to be that or a sneaky ripoff.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sanguine posted:

I read a series of books in primary school (early 90's) that were about a family that lived in a space ship - I think it had 'Dragon' and '9' in its name. I also have a feeling that one book was set on a planet with giant ants, though this may be crossed-books. They were aimed at kids, and I have a feeling they were from the 70s.

Anyone else remember them?
Dragonfall 5. How bizarre; they've just come up on another forum I'm on, too....

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

LabCreatedAmber posted:

There's a sci-fi book I read about three years ago; it must've been published within the last 10 years. I want to say it has a sequel.
It does. Mary Doria Russell, The Sparrow and Children of God.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

LabCreatedAmber posted:

Ah! Thanks so much; I'm checking them out on Amazon right now!
The first one is excellent, the second... not so excellent. Still, it's good for finding out Supaari's motivation, at least.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

roffles posted:

I remember reading a book (may have been part of a series, the ending made it seem like it was the first book) about a soldier who was part of some kind of galactic police force. Anyway, his whole planet somehow gets wiped out and he is infected with whatever killed the rest of his planet but is saved by some secret society.

I think his bones were unbreakable too? and he may have been telepathic. In the book I read he is on a search for possible survivors and also for the person responsible for this (I think he was called the One so... not very original/helpful)

(i read this in the early 90s)
Sounds like the Last Legionary series by Douglas Hill. Did he hang out with a bat-like extragalactic alien called Glr?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Elohssa Gib posted:

I'm looking for a short story I read several years ago, it was about a future time when they had bases on the moon and a company gave tours, one tour accidentally get sucked into a sinkhole. I seem to remember really good descriptions of how fine the moon dust was. I want to re-read it cause I can't remember how it ended.
Probably the late great Arthur C Clarke, A Fall of Moondust.

vvvvvvv You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a copy - enjoy! vvvvvvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 17, 2008

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

monkeytennis posted:

I read a book in the 80s I'd love to find again. It was sci-fi, about a Russian test pilot who gets radiation exposure and crash lands on a Scottish island I think, He turns into some kind of monster and starts raping and killing. The part that sticks in my mind is the author describing him as wearing a white space suit.

The tragedy is it was probably such pulp only me ever read it!
Guess again! It's Child of Vodyanoi by David Wiltshire, and UK goons of a certain age will remember it with genuine terror; it was adapted into the seriously scary miniseries The Nightmare Man. I rented it on DVD recently and it's still bloody effective.

Edit:

monkeytennis posted:

Aaand purchased off eBay for less than a fiver!
:woop: :woop:

Rent the DVD as well; I recommend it!

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 27, 2008

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Please help! I read a book a while ago about a world like ours, with modern technology and the same political set-up and so on, where magic suddenly begins to work, and all kinds of mythical creatures show up and start causing havoc. It was definitely set in the UK, and was quite scary - I think at one point a character was being chased by one of the black dogs of legend. Giants, trolls, goblins etc all appeared and the police and army were unable to cope. Technology also suddenly became a lot less reliable.

It was the first of a series (IIRC) and I'd like to read the rest, as it's an interesting concept, and was quite well-executed.
Mark Chadbourn's Dark Age trilogy? http://www.markchadbourn.net/books.htm and scroll down a bit.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

...but it is the Age of Misrule trilogy instead, which can be found by scrolling down even further! Thank you, thank you, thank you, they're all on order from Amazon now, and I have books to fill my imminent post-Malazan void.
Argh, that was the trilogy I was thinking of but when I saw he'd written the Dark Age ones I thought I must have misremembered the title! Dur. Never mind; glad you did scroll down a bit further!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

hambeet posted:

Now, all the text blurbs would talk about the space ship or robot or whatever in the past tense, just describing what it is and where it came from (designed during an old war or whatever). I could describe it like an encyclopedia, or catalogue, but it was in the realm of science fiction. I would say it was aimed at the teenage demographic, maybe even right up to early adult. I wouldn't call it a childrens book, but who knows.

It wasn't from a compilation of artists. I think it could have been just the one artist for the whole book, or maybe two, but it wasn't a collection of science fiction artwork by multiple artists.
I know you say it wasn't by multiple artists, but it sounds very like one of the Stewart Cowley/Steven Caldwell compilations of the time - the Terran Trade Authority Handbooks or similar.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

hambeet posted:

Were they the only type of people doing books like this that you know of? What time of genre would this be under as graphic books bring up arts students resources or some manga and marvel comic compilations.

Thanks for you time and effort too, you really are a champion.
:blush:

They were the first, but they started a fad (in the UK at least) - Cowley did the similar Galactic Encounters series under his pseudonym of Caldwell*; Bob Shaw, I think, did a Galactic Tour version; I'm sure there were others... I'll have a rummage through the boxes in my spare room at the weekend, I might have some of them still. I don't know if the genre has ever been given a specific name, sorry.

*Here's a site with the covers of both - any of those ring bells?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

JoeNotCharles posted:

Oh, man, the first "definition of vague" post really rang a bell - I'm sure my library had a bunch of those, including some with spaceships and one that was all pictures of aliens, but of course I couldn't remember any more.

Then I went to that link, and the aliens one definitely contained this creature. So thanks for reminding me of this stuff!
Cool! That series is a swine to find though, not least because most of them had crappy glue which meant the pages fell out after a couple of readings. I ended up taking them apart and papering my room with them - it was a work of nerd folk art.

hambeet posted:

edit: An update for all of those on the edge of their seats following my harrowing trip down memory lane :P. Reading all the links provided, I'm 100% the book is on of the Terran Trade Authority. Mentions of the "deVass drive" tripped my memory. I'm going to go get them regardless now. Thanks LittleSunshine, criptozoid and Anapaest, I owe you all E-Beer's!
:cheers:

I think the deVass drive is in Encounters too, but it's definitely one of Cowley/Caldwell's series then. Hooray for us!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mister Kingdom posted:

I believe this was a short story I read in the late 70s/early 80s.

It takes place in a dystopian future. A boy has to do his chores and says (paraphrased), "I wish I had three arms, then I could do this faster." He is immediately punished for wishing such a thing.
This happens to David, the hero of John Wyndham's The Chrysalids - his society has a religious horror of mutants and his dad gives him the full "YOU HAVE OFFENDED GOD BY WISHING YOURSELF A MUTANT!" treatment. It's a novel though, but I suppose you could have read an excerpt....

ninja e: it's got a different title in the colonies - Re-Birth, I think.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hubcap Hal posted:

I'm looking for a short story, and it's about angels. In the story angels appear, but they cause massive amounts of damage and death. I think it's a pretty recent story, within the last 6 or 5 years.
Ted Chiang's Hell is the Absence of God?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

wlokos posted:

This book was mentioned on this forum a while ago, and I meant to get it but forgot about it. It's about some society where there's a statue or something with the alphabet on it, and as letters fall off of the statue, those letters are banned from society, at which point they no longer appear in the book (I think the book is comprised of letters from people in the society, maybe?). It might have been a slightly dystopian novel, although I'm not sure on that.
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn.

vvv Glad to help! vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 15, 2008

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Be warned, When the Tripods Came is gently caress-awful. A real pity, because the original trilogy is great.

tastysoup posted:

There was another book that I liked as a kid that I hardly remember anything about. This kid is on a strange planet, and I'm pretty sure he's not supposed to be there, and he keeps talking about buttery pie. Or something like that. It was a pretty cool book but all I remember is the drat pie.
Butter-pies are the big kid-obsession-food in Diana Wynne Jones' Tale of Time City - in particular Sam, one of the secondary protagonists, reprogrammed his belt-function so he could stuff himself with them. If it is that you're a bit off on the rest of the details; the protagonist's a girl (though 2 boys are also important) and it's set in a city outside Time (with time-ghosts and buildings with names like Seldom End and the Annuate Palace), though they visit other times too. Elio the android, Jonathan's dad the Sempitern, Dr Wilander and Faber John ring any bells?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ballsworthy posted:

A young adult fantasy novel with two teenage boys who don't like each other very much that get sucked into fantasy land. They each have, for some reason, a magical stone, each one like half of a yin-yang. They also have magic bottles and bowls that become filled with whatever food/drink they want. They have to learn to work together so they can fight some wolf thing. Fenris, I just remembered, that was the name of the wolf-thing.

Edit: I read it in the '80's, based on the barely remembered cover art I'd say it's from the '70's.
Aha! Hero From Otherwhere by Jay Williams. Knew it rang a bell, but took this long for enough to click in my memory so I could find it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spathi posted:

Book #2, read around the same time period, young adult fantasy. Protagonist is a girl in a family of "grey" necromancers who lay the undead to rest, the novel's world also has "black" necromancers".
I'd say Sabriel by Garth Nix except that it only came out 5 years ago. Still possible?

The necromancers - Abhorsens - in this use a set of bells with specific names and powers if that helps you remember.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Solaron posted:

Some crappy fantasy book from when I was a kid.. I don't remember much of it. Something about a thief, hits town, has a rendevouz with one of the local whores and ends up agreeing to retrieve something for some wizard. He steals a ring from the wizard, heads to retrieve the item, and is beset by all manners of crazy poo poo. A maze, I believe, some floating eyeball and tons of stuff. Then, at the very end, he finds out it's because he's wearing that ring.

I know, obscure. Any ideas?
Eyes of the Overworld by Jack Vance? It's not an exact match, but the stuff you describe does sound kinda Vancian....

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

onceling posted:

I haven't read this, it was recommended and I can't remember the title.

Non-fiction book (fairly recent) that hypothesizes what would happen if humans disappeared. That is, how long it would take for the plants to overgrow the cities and so on.
Probably The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. There's been a couple of others, though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Fedaykin posted:

The book was about a guy that collected and dealed rare first edition books. I don't remember much of the plot except that it like a mystery. The main part was that he dealt in first edition books and such. Sorry for being so vague but that's all I remember.
The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte? It's what they made the Johnny Depp film The Ninth Gate from if that helps, though they chopped out half the plot to do it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I think the first one is Robert Heinlein's Orphans of the Sky; at the very least I remember it having the mutants/mutineers ambiguity.

And the second sounds like George Alec Effinger's When Gravity Fails.

e: for synopses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphans_of_the_Sky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Gravity_Fails

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 28, 2008

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

JoeNotCharles posted:

Definitely sounds William Sleator-ish, but I read The Boy Who Reversed Himself and I don't remember any of those details except "boy can travel to another dimension". I think he reused that theme a bunch, so I think it's a different book. (I could have just forgotten a whole bunch, but it really feels wrong to me.)
I think a number of his books were published in variously chopped versions, maybe the one you read had those details chopped out? It's been years since I read it though, so you could be right.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

PrinceofLowLight posted:

I've never read this book/series/short story, but I've read about it. It's supposed to be very important in the history of a certain kind of sci-fi/fantasy. It's basically about a massive arcology on a planet where it's always night.
William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land?

If you're planning on reading it be warned, the opening chapter is the most nauseating glurge you'll ever read in your life. Thankfully it's just unnecessary framing so you can skip it and go straight to the City.

e:f;b. Should've looked at the next page....

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Golden_Zucchini posted:

The second book was at least the second in a series. A group of humans had been removed from Earth back in prehistoric times to live with some aliens while the humans still on Earth continued to develop to a point where they less warlike and more able to live peacefully with the aliens. The aliens couldn't understand human psychology, though, so they set their pet humans to guide the Earth humans' development. Consequently, the pet humans did all sorts of things to screw with the Earth humans' development. That's all backstory, though.

The book started after the aliens had made official contact with the Earth humans and discovered what their pet humans had been doing. To punish the pet humans the aliens denied them access to the virtual reality contained in a supercomputer built in a hollowed out moon. The problem was that this computer had been running for so long that a life form of sorts had developed within the data. As the pet humans jacked in illegally, the new life forms tried to escape their dying world (the shutting down computer) and moved into the bodies of the pet humans. This showed up as an insanity where the original personality was completely replaced (obviously) and the new personality had no concept of things such as rotation or the idea that objects did not get noticeably longer when they moved (It would be difficult for data to rotate since it would need to overwrite itself in the process and when things move they are written ahead of where they are before their old positions are erased).
This is Entoverse, the 4th book in James Hogan's Giants series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inherit_the_Stars

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RyanNotBrian posted:

All I can remember about this book is that the protagonist has some sort of little vampire creature that is hungry and he or she has nothing to feed it, so he lets it drink its blood. This saves the creature from dying.

Any ideas what book or short story I remember?
The Great Ghost Rescue by Eva Ibbotson? It starts with a family of ghosts looking for a new home to haunt after their castle's turned into a holiday camp; Humphrey the Horrible, who's pink and fluffy, his sister Wailing Winifred, their brother George, who's a Screaming Skull, and their parents The Gliding Kilt and the Hag. They team up with a boy called Rick and his friends and go round England looking for ghosts for their new ghost sanctuary, and at one point Rick feeds a sick and starving baby vampire bat from his wrist.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 19, 2008

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

First one might be Moon of Three Rings by Andre Norton - synopsis here. Not a clue about the others though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

vegaji posted:

I remember some book that was being given away by my middle school library. I read a few pages of it then quit for some reason.

It had a bunch of kids in school with their (female) teacher. They were outside and the kids kept rubbing their faces on the grass because it was so rare in the world for some reason. But the teacher kept telling them to not hurt the grass. Then later in the book a bunch of bad people (terrorists? nationalists? i don't remember) broke into the school and held the kids/teacher hostage for some reason.

Any help? Maybe? Thanks in advance.
I think this is Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down by Irene Schram. Was the teacher called Miss Love?