Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
I hope someone can help me with this:
The book (or maybe short story?) is about a post-apocalyptic world (I think it may have been disease that killed off most of humankind, but I could be wrong). The main character is a man, and he finds a slightly older woman, then they find more people and form a small civilization. They live off of canned goods. The main character was an avid reader, and tries to teach his children to read, but they are uninterested. He also teaches them to make bows and arrows, so they would be able to hunt and fend for themselves when the canned food runs out, but again, they aren't very interested. Oh, and they use dogs to pull carts in order to get around.

Thats all I can remember, but it has been bothering me for years. I read it around 2000 or 2001, I think. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

LittleSunshine posted:

Earth Abides by George Stewart?

That sounds right. You're a master.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
This is for a friend. It's a book of scary stories for kids (young adults maybe?). Apparently, "it had two notable stories. One about a traveller who is invited by a little man to stay in his hut. The little man keeps asking him to put another log on the fire. In the end he refuses and the cabin and man disappears and he's standing on the edge of a cliff. If he'd reached for the last log he would have fallen to his death. The other is about the moon coming to earth in human form to save travelers from monsters on a road. In the end the monsters eat the moon. It also has a story about Black Annis and has her on the cover."

Anybody? Thanks.