Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So I'm trying to remember this book I read in late elementary school/early middle school (probably around the year 2000). I'm not sure if it was specifically aimed or kids or not, but it wasn't overly complicated or confusing, so there's a possibility it may have been.

The book's plot involved a group of people (one of which I remember being a professor or some sorts) time traveling to a primitive society, like Rome or Egypt or something like that. I don't remember a lot of specific details other than the fact that the professor was some kind of war vet (he mentioned he didn't have a problem sleeping on the ground because he had to sleep on rocks in Korea) and that in one of the conflicts with the natives, they escaped by use of a device they had with them the entire time (but they did not know what the device did until then). I remember it being a small hand held object with little fan blades on it... it basically looked like a handle for a sink, and it allowed them to fly away from their problem.

I don't know if this is too vague or not, but hep identifying this book would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Drawing blanks from both Google AND chatGPT (who keeps repeating my synopses with other random, completely unrelated book titles and saying “Is this it?”) on these two books:

I read both of these probably in the late 90s, or early 00s at the latest. They are most likely YA of some variety.

One book was about a couple of dudes who have to go back in time to find some Professor/mentor friend. Other than that, my memory of the details are extremely hazy, aside from one. Throughout the story, they have this handheld device that basically looks like one of those four-pronged sink handles. They have no idea what said device does, until they make a miraculous escape by holding the device aloft, and then it basically acts as a mini helicopter that they use to fly away with.

The second book was about a boy or teenage boy who lives an isolated lifestyle with his father somewhere. I want to say it was a rocky, canyonous sort of place and possibly even on another planet, but I can’t say for certain. The father’s job was to live at this outpost and keep a watch on it. It was expected that once a year or so, friendly aliens would come to visit and part of his job was welcoming and interacting with them. Previously, the boy had never personally met the aliens, though he had heard stories and knew all about them. Something happens to the father, and now it’s the boy’s job to take his place as the aliens are expected very soon. They arrive, and everything goes as it should, until somehow the boy learns that the aliens he has met aren’t the ones they’ve been expecting at all. They’re imposters, and there is some nefarious plot they are working through.