Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

nuvan posted:

I asked about some books last year, and got answers for most, but I still am looking for two of them.

Here's the list I had:

1. group of people are on a ship orbiting mars. segregated by gender, they are given some sort of serum or drug to allow for very fast adaptation to their environment, which is slowing being changed to that of mars. they are being prepped to be the first martians. I think that at the end of the story they rebel against their creators

Do you happen to know if this is a short story? Because it sounds a lot like Keep Out! by Frederic Brown. It's in Young Mutants, a book of short stories edited by Asimov, Martin Greenburg and Charles Waugh.

This is the first page of the story:

Keep Out! posted:

Daptine is the secret of it. Adaptine, they called it first; then it got shortened to daptine. It let us adapt

They explained it all to us when we were ten years old; I guess they thought we were too young to understand before then, although we knew a lot of it already. They told us just after we landed on Mars.

"You're home, children," the Head Teacher told us after we had gone into the glassite dome they'd built for us there. And he told us there'd be a special lecture for us that evening, an important one that we must all attend.

Cantaloupe posted:

drat, I know exactly what book you're talking about! Give me a day or two to look around and I might have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Cantaloupe posted:

Sorry, I couldn't find it.

Mine:

It's a young adult book, relatively new, or at least published in the last decade.

The title is something like 'Idiots were we' or 'Fools like us' or something like that, which was the exact same thing a character said in the book halfway through. The cover was grey colored too.

The part I remember most is that there was a bug that stung you and apparently it left a sand like irritant just beneath the skin which would turn into a pearl. Side effects included fever and some other stuff.

The main plot--I think--was trying to get a part of a beach protected because there could be some archeological find that was very important. I'm pretty sure it was set in Australia, or a country based on Australia.

Help?