Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
As per usual, it's a YA book that I read in junior high. Very vague, but it was about a dude who somehow- I think it was a cave or a tunnel of some kind- goes through a portal to prehistoric/caveman/dinosaur times and meets a tribe of humans and lives with them for a bit. Acclimates, falls in love, that kinda thing. I thiiiiiiiiiink that they hunted wooly mammoths or sabretooth tigers. The only sequence that I can still remember is when the dude finally kisses his cavechick, there is a line about his sliding his thumb into her sweaty armpit. I remember thinking, like, the smell must be unimaginable.

EDIT: I read this in the mid to late nineties

Narzack fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

yaffle posted:

This is most likely "The Transall Saga" by Gary Paulson, its a perennial favorite in this sort of thread.

I'm reading reviews of it on Goodreads, and I don't think this is it. I don't remember there being any kind of multiple tribes or slave society. I am almost80% sure it was in the past and the main character was high school age at least. There wasn't, as I recall, weird about the Earth in it. Trying to find a copy to read it anyway, since it looks like it's a brisk read.

Carthag Tuek posted:

just a quick reminder, its more useful if instead of saying "when i was 10 years old", you can say "early 2000s" or something. that way, other people who are not your exact age may also be able to help

Yeah, sorry, this would have been mid to late nineties.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 2, 2024

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

its not jean m muriel is it?

Not sure, I can't find anything or anyone by the name.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Nah, it's definitely a time travel story. And no sex, just that makeout(maybe sex, I don't think I was interested in that at the time, so it may have gone over my head) scene, where the dude slipped his hand under her caveshirt and thumbed her sweaty armpit.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Tragic Wagon posted:

Was it Rocco (or A Time of Darkness in the USA) by Sheryl Jordan? Published in 1990, so around the right time. I can't find too much about it online, but I read it in school too, and it fits the high schooler travelling in time. I don't remember any armpit-related romance, but I do remember the ending implying that it's not actually the distant past, it's the near future after some sort of terrible disaster.

I'd guess that's probably it. That's a cover and title an 8th grade me would have been interested in.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Very very long shot, but it was a short story in one of our 6th grade English(Reading) textbooks, so mid-nineties. It was a story about a guy stuck on a planet by himself being stalked by some hideous monster, and at the end he sees himself reflected in a puddle of water and you realize that he's the monster. All scraggly hair and wild eyes and junk.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Similar themes, looks like, but the one I remember was sci Fi, and the dude was a stranded astronaut.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Tragic Wagon posted:

Was it Rocco (or A Time of Darkness in the USA) by Sheryl Jordan? Published in 1990, so around the right time. I can't find too much about it online, but I read it in school too, and it fits the high schooler travelling in time. I don't remember any armpit-related romance, but I do remember the ending implying that it's not actually the distant past, it's the near future after some sort of terrible disaster.

By the way, this was correct. Thanks, brah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

I love Grover!

Hahaha, oh poo poo, i didn't make that connection at all. I should have, too, because my son loves both of those.