Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I've been looking for this one for the last couple of years.

In a town/city all the adults are dead, and all the kids are missing. Police detectives are called, and they investigate. In the end, it turns out the kids killed their parents, and there's an epilogue or something that shows they've become terrorists.

I can't remember if it's a novel or a novella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I need help. All I remember is this:

- fantasy
- main character female
- she's some kind of priest and a magic user, exiled from her temple
- there is an evil living wooden doll in the book

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

sorry, that's not it. I've never read Canavan. thanks for trying, though.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

fritz posted:

Wheel of the Infinite, Martha Wells?

That's it!
Thanks a lot.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Fantasy trilogy, I read the first 2 books.
It's about a young man who becomes a squire, if I remember correctly, to a knight whom he admires. He falls in love with a girl and later realizes that she's his lord's (intended) wife. The 2nd book deals with a tournament the squire, his lord and his retinue go to. There is magic in the books - monsters, necromancers etc.

Anyone?

edit: David Keck - In the eye of Heaven & In a time of treason. It wasn't a trilogy, it was a duology.

Doktor Avalanche fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 6, 2013

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Another fantasy request...

I can remember only one part of the book, in which some mages/wizards/magic-users fight as mercenaries for an army against invaders who have mages of their own that they put in a huge box of some kind which shields them from attacks. The mages we're reading about manage to defeat these strangers (surprise surprise).

I think it is a newer release (last 2-3 years).

Thanks.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I'm looking for a science fiction novel (or novels, I think it's a trilogy) which starts with a crew of scientists and soldiers coming to a planet which was colonized, but barely (small colony of religious folks). The main characters are a soldier (an officer, if I remember correctly) and an alien. The alien is the protector of the planet, or something like that, and is something of an outcast both to his own and to the human colony on the planet. Also, he's immortal because of a parasite of some kind. The soldier gets infected with the parasite as well, and goes to live with the aliens.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Nettle soup, that's it, thanks!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Like I said above, it's the Karen Traviss book series, Nettle Soup figured it out.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I don't know if this is even real but it's in my head and I can't get it out:

SF or fantasy. Some kid or teenager (male) from a tribe or a town meets another kid or teenager (male) who's from a more primitive culture. They meet in the woods or in the wild if I remember correctly.
And there are some long-lived people in the primitive culture (either immortal or just hundreds of years old).
Also, if I remember correctly, at the end of the novel the primitive culture moves to a secluded place. An island maybe?
The secondary character, if I'm remembering it well, is a girl from the primitive culture who ends up in a position of power.

I couldn't decide if it's SF or fantasy cause I think it's one of those "fantasy setting is future earth" kind of books.

It's not Dark Eden.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I'll repost one of my old requests:

Barbe Rouge posted:

I can remember only one part of the book, in which some mages/wizards/magic-users fight as mercenaries for an army against invaders who have mages of their own that they put in a huge box of some kind which shields them from attacks. The mages we're reading about manage to defeat these strangers (surprise surprise).

I think it is a newer release (last 2-3 years).

Thanks.

It could be a story, I'm not sure.
The huge box is something like the trojan horse, if I recall correctly.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I haven't read neither Norrell nor Weber's Hellgate.

I think the main character was a woman. And I'm not sure she was a magic user, maybe she was a regular soldier.
There's a possibility that it was just a short story, cause all I remember about it is that one battle with the mages in the trojan horse box.

Doktor Avalanche fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 6, 2016

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Trying to remember a book I read. Can't recall any details except for one weird scene.

Main protagonist and friend go to a doctor, who's a witch or warlock or something. He's offering choices to a girl gymnast where he can fix her knee and it'll work fine but she won't be able to compete anymore, or he can fix it where she can compete and maybe win, except it won't stand up to the stress well and it'll blow out and no longer be a functioning knee.

He does some kinda magic (think there's plants involved) and she ends up choosing the "fix it so I can compete" option.

I am pretty sure it's a recent book, so something in the last 2 or 3 years at the earliest. It's an urban fantasy one, but damned if I can remember anything else past that.

One of the Generation V books by M.L. Brennan.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

navyjack posted:

These are actually pretty good

Yes they are, IMO.
Too bad the publisher isn't interested in books 5 & 6.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

navyjack posted:

Ugh, is THAT why there's nothing about a 5th book??

I suppose so. I'm hoping when/if Brennan writes another book/series it'll do better and maybe raise interest in Gen V as well.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hi, I'm trying to remember the author or the name of a fantasy series about a people who live by the sea and wear masks. The MC is a son of one of the noble houses. Some poo poo happens to their society and they have to leave the shore. I can't remember if the masks are just used in rituals or generally. And I think the MC might be gay but can't be sure. 3 or 4 books.

edit: it's Ricardo Pinto's fantasy series

Doktor Avalanche fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 22, 2017

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I recently read a fantasy book and promptly forgot the title, the author, characters' names, any proper noun in it actually LMAO. I remember that it's in a country ruled by a foreigner king who got control of it while getting it rid of demons, who exist but some are not what they seem. The story is told in the past and the present. There are flying squads that use these giant birds which imprint on their riders or something.
The current king is trying to call back his father's old captain of the guard and is using his aunt, the captain of the bird riders' squad, to do it. Also the world has an equivalent of the Jews (a people who have a reputation for being scheming traders) who are being pogromed. There are other things going on but I don't want to spoil it in case someone else wants to read it.
Help?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You’re sure they’re birds and not dragons? That’s a major theme in the Dragonriders of Pern series.

it's not pern, 100%

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

fritz posted:

That sounds a lot like Kate Eliot's "Black wolves" which unfortunately is in contractual hell and has no sequel.

that's it! thanks.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Fantasy series, only read half of the first book.
The MC is a young man who grew up in some kind of assassin school/monastery, and the moment he was supposed to be mentally primed with orders his superior has a heart attack and while hallucinating tells him to protect his friends instead of the real order ("kill without remorse" or some similar stereotype). So the MC sets off to find some friends to protect. Hijinks ensue.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Splicer posted:

This sounds delightful and I would like to read it

e: is this it? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28385685-free-the-darkness

yes, how the hell did you find it, I tried googling all kinds of stupid poo poo and nothing came of it
thanks

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Sci-Fi/Fantasy. A series of novels.The setting of the first book is a planet that is slowly being colonized by an intergalactic empire, which also has subjugated humans. The local (iirc local in this case mean the sector of space, not the planet itself) governor is a human and his sister ends up joining the planet's natives who are set up in tribes, a mix of the usual "desert people" tropes. She hooks up with the chieftain of the tribe who turns out to be trying to unify them all against the foreigners that he believes will inevitably encroach on them.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Jaran/Crown of Stars by Kate Elliot?

Yes! Thank you.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

there was a cartoon where a kid turns into a car (and the transformation looks like something cronenberg would make, but for kids) so turning into a pump IS weird but still completely imaginable

edit: the parents using their son-pump at the end is both incredibly funny and disgusting

Doktor Avalanche fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 21, 2021

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I read this somewhat recently but can't remember the name or the author:
the book is SF and it's told from the POV of a soldier who wakes from cold sleep or whatever in a space ship and has to go attack aliens. Him and his buddies get beaten and he's taken into the alien ship. Turns out they're humans and he's a clone or something manipulated by the aliens into finding and destroying humans.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ulmont posted:

Pretty sure it's Alan Dean Foster, one of the Damned series, specifically Book 2, A False Mirror. It takes a little while to get to that scene though, I think.

no, this is a standalone and it's a newer book (last couple of years)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ulmont posted:

Oh, hell, you're right, I read that one too. Hang on. Activation Degradation by Marina J. Lostetter.

yes! thank you.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

somewhat generic werewolf urban fantasy novel - the pack are young drifters going from town to town in a van of some kind, scrounging for food by pickpocketing I suppose, the MC is the wife of a rich dude who abuses her. turns out the MC is also some kind of hot poo poo in the werewolf world (of course) and her husband is involved in some kind of evil ritual or whatever. i cannot remember the author or the title.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Read it twenty years ago so I'm a bit iffy on the details, but this sounds like Bitten by Kelley Armstrong.

sorry, no, this is definitely newer
I'd say probably released in the last couple (as in, two) of years

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

looking for an urban fantasy werewolf series

a girl comes back home to her pack. i think her parents are dead and the pack leader is her uncle or something. i can't remember a lot about the plot, except there are lone wolves testing the boundaries of the pack's territory and the pack leader and his enforcer (the girl's former love interest, also a professor of english lit or something like that) deal with that in a bloody fashion. also sometimes tourists trespass but that is dealt with more politely (LOL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Pretty sure you have it a bit wrong but you mean 'Bitten' by Kelley Armstrong:

yeah, thanks