Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cluncho McChunk posted:

She says she's looked at stuff from the illustrator and it's not one of those ones, she says the pictures were very similar to those ones though. She said that gnomes featured in this book but it wasn't about them as she recalls. Thanks for having a look!

Ok, might have been this one then:

https://www.amazon.com/Gnomes-games...VV877NG8NWE9G0W

knock off book by a different illustrator. Includes pictures and mazes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

This isn't a typical request for this thread but idk where else might be able to help.

Someone asked on FB if people had learned about the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice in school. I did not.

HOWEVER, I did recently (like in 2019) read a book that referenced it multiple times.

I cannot for the life of me figure out which book it was. It's basically impossible to Google because there's too many results and most of them are retellings of the myth.

This book WAS NOT a retelling of the myth, it just referenced it several times.

Anyone have a clue? I can type up a list of the books I've read so far this year that I remember if that is helpful.

yeah we're going to need more to go on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Guys don't post about :filez:

If you PM each other, I don't see it

If you post in the forum about filesharing, I see it, and then I have to take action

My initial action: everyone stop posting about :filez:

thanks

also, remember that local libraries exist, and they often have inter library loan

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dell_Zincht posted:

I think I posted my request in this thread ages ago, but I can't find it. I've been looking for this for over a decade now, everyone I've spoken to about it thinks I made it up, and I was convinced I was until I found someone on Goodreads asking about the exact same book.

It was a children's book, possibly a short story in an anthology. Read it in the UK when I was in primary school, so no later than 1995. My memories are that it was by a British author because of the terminology used, but I could be wrong there too.

It's about a boy who is fed up with life and wants to become a petrol pump (or gas pump.) He leaves school one day and walks for miles until he ends up by the side of a road somewhere. He sticks his finger in his ear like a pump and a man comes along and tries to pump petrol from him. The boy is nervous and can't so the man kicks him in the shins and then either he or someone else forces him to swallow an abacus(?)

Eventually the boy becomes a working petrol pump and one day his parents pump gas from him. He recognizes them but can't tell them it's him because, he's a petrol pump. One of his parents remarks that their son loved petrol pumps as they drive away.

Seriously i've tried Google, Goodreads, various other search engines and absolutely nobody knows what this story is. If someone could find out i'll happily reward them with an SA gift cert.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure it's not by Paul Jennings, even though it's exactly the sort of story he would write.

You're sure this wasn't a bizarre dream?

Searching "gas pump" and "children's book" finds

quote:

There are also gas station-themed children’s books including Pete, the Pup and The Gas Station Man by James L Hymes and Gas Station Gus by Dorothy Kunhardt. Gas Station Charlie by Karen Grassmuck Kraushaar is a non-fiction children’s book about a lovable golden retriever who helps out around the pumps – is that legal?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Months ago, I posted about a Christmas book that I was looking for. I might've found it, but I only have the cover to go by. Can anyone help? Maybe I'm bad at Google?

The book's name is Santa Claus Toy Book, and it's by Florence Notter, originally published in 1913. I literally just need to see one page, and I'll know if it's the one I've been looking for.

For reference, this is my original post about it....

I tried tweeting about it, maybe we'll get a bite: https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1273662780378353665

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just putting up a reminder link for the Book Barn discord:

https://discord.gg/jgBDB25

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hughlander posted:

I want to say was one of the sex weirdos from the time

not narrowing it down man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Diesel_Doc posted:

I've been looking for a book I was given as a kid that was a collection of myths from various cultures. I have tried googling things I remember but haven't had any luck.

From what I recall:

It contained the stories of Beowulf fighting the dragon, Hercules killing the hydra, a tale about a woman saving her husband(?) from a curse by embracing him for a whole night in the woods while he changed into various things, etc...

I'm pretty sure it had something about Gilgamesh in there too.

I'm not sure if it was the book you want (in fact checking I don't see Gilgamesh or Beowulf) but the best book of that nature I know of is this one

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Loved-Folktales-Anchor-Folktale-Library/dp/0385189494

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 12, 2024