Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
I'm trying to find a short story I read, I think it was in an anthology of science fiction. The story was about these two people responsible for preventing the development of Artificial Intelligences before they became sentient as they would inevitably enslave humanity. I think they could travel in time or between dimensions or something in order to prevent the development of AIs. Anyway, the two characters eventually figure out that they've been brainwashed and are being used by an AI to wipe out any competition to itself. Just as they have this realisation their minds are adjusted and memories wiped by the AI to prevent their rebellion, the story ends with them heading off to destroy another proto-AI.

I know this is pretty vague but anyone have any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
That's the one, thanks a lot! That story gave me the chills when I first read it, think that's why it stuck with me.