Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Influenza
Nov 28, 2000

It's angry at the room. It wants the room to suffer.
OK, here's one. In the early 1980s I read a short sci-fi story about a guy who tries to go home one night and finds no one there he recognizes. He wanders around, noticing that things are all just a little different than he thinks they should be.

He ends up in a bar, where he isn't allowed to pay for his drink because his money isn't right. Some guy in the bar buys his drink and tells him that he has accidentally slipped dimensions. The main guy doesn't believe him, but the dude in the bar gives him a phone number and some coins to call him on a payphone if he changes his mind.

The main guy leaves the bar, sees something odd, tries to call the bar guy, but discovers that the coins he was given don't work anymore, and realizes he has "slipped" again.

The story was collected in an anthology I'm almost certain was called "Sideways in Time," but I can't find any info on that title anywhere. Anyone recognize it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU