Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Dead Alice posted:

Short story about some dudes in a ye olde Adventurers Club who go to extinguish an eternal flame in a desert.

When they get there they're ambushed by some people who worship the flame; and the adventurers are sacrificed to keep it burning.

This is from a couple pages back, but I didn't see it answered. This American Life featured a story that sounds like yours in this episode. I think it was the one by Fiona Maazel, but I didn't like it enough to listen to the episode again to be sure, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

CherryCat posted:

I'm not sure I have enough details to find this but you never know. I'm looking for a childrens book, most likely from the early 90's with an almost Celtic art style. All I remember of the story is that there was a girl who I think was called Oona, a tower on a cliff and something to do with stars. I've been looking for this for years since I remember loving the illustrations as a kid.

This is a huge long shot and probably wrong but was it maybe Stardust by Neil Gaiman?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

I remember this story. Once you ate it you could never enjoy anything else, it was so sinfully delicious, like a hosed up mermaid flesh thing.

This is an episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Ok I cannot for the life of me find this via google.

There is a book that apparently my 1st and 2nd graders both read (or had read to them) at school, where a cat goes and lives in the forest for a while and then when it returns it’s kind of mangled up and refuses to go back inside its house. Apparently in the end it does go back inside the house. It is not Into the Wild. I have no idea what book these kids are describing to me.

This is a really long shot but is it Cat, You Better Come Home?