Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
I have two that might actually be poo poo to read now, I recall reading them when I was like 13/14, but they've been niggling away every so often for a while now:

1) All I remember is that it was that the two main characters were twins, a boy and a girl. They lived in a city that is divided in to numbered classes and I'm fairly sure one, if not them both, was kicked out of the city or has to escape. Towards the end there's a big scene in the desert aboard what I THINK is some kind of tank fort or moving headquarters. I think it was the first book in a trilogy.

2) I remember less of this one, but it concerned some kind of time travellers who could go to any point in time on holiday, but couldn't change anything. I think there were time police who policed cases where people alter time. I have a few vague ideas, but I couldn't say for sure they were from the book.

I guess they're probably geared towards younger readers (but I don't recall them being particularly child orientated) but could equally have been for adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Doesn't match your description entirely, but Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve is about gigantic, tiered cities on tank treads rolling around a massive post-apocalyptic wasteland that used to be Eurasia. It has a boy and girl (who aren't twins) who have to escape the city. It's the first of a tetralogy. (I've read the first, it's quite good and the sequels are meant to be even better)

Looked it up, doesn't seem to be (although I nearly bought that the other day! Might buy that after reading a bit more of it). They were definitely twins, and the city itself didn't move. I think they were psychic or some poo poo?

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Insane insane necro quote, but I just happened to look at what I posted in here in 2010.....

eating only apples posted:

That's the first in the Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson, called The Wind Singer. The second book is Slaves of the Mastery, and the third is Firesong. The twins are Kestrel and Bowman, the city is Aramanth and the tank fort was a giant desert boat :) Good books, I still read them sometimes.

God drat, that was the book. Clearly didn't check back and see that.