Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I have a friend who is trying to track down a book they had as a kid and am wondering if you kind folks can help? This is the description she gave:

I used to have this book that I absolutely adored, but no one in my family remebers it. I lost it after our house burnt down, and would really love to be able to find another copy. I don't know the age of the book, I had it in the early 2000's, but knowing my family it could have been likely older. One of the other books I read constantly around this time was from 1995 (The Dragon and the Unicorn), so I'd assume it was around that time frame?

It was physical a really large sized hardback book, and was also pretty thick. It was beautifully illustrated on every page and had a few sets of stories within it, and also contained huge multiple page diagrams talking about the world the creatures of the book lived in. Those were my favorites! The diagrams/art are ridiculously similar to those of Gnomes by Wil Huygen (http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house-concept/gnome-home/) and the book even does have gnomes in it. However there are other fantastical creatures as well, especially in the first story of the book.

The first story is about these desert creatures which host a huge crazy cart race. Monsters throw food out at them during it (particularly these melons that were important to the culture for some reason) and then have a big feast. The second I don't remember all that well, it was a lot of small meadow animals talking about something. Then there was a flood featuring those animals and the gnomes, and the last bit finally focused on the gnomes homes. The last pages of the book had various activities like puzzles and mazes, which I remember vividly just because I refused to fill them in due to how much I enjoyed the book and wanted to keep it in good condition.

If anyone could help that'd be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

She says she's looked at stuff from the illustrator and it's not one of those ones, she says the pictures were very similar to those ones though. She said that gnomes featured in this book but it wasn't about them as she recalls. Thanks for having a look!

EDIT: She has managed to find it after doing some more digging. The series is called The Woodland Folk and is by Antonio Lupatelli!

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 7, 2019