Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

My grandma read me the beginning of a book when I was a kid that I've never been able to find.

It starts with a description of pea-soup fog, saying it was so thick it could give you webbed feet. The protagonist was a kid who lived with some elderly relatives at an inn or something. Two guys show up during the fog doing some kind of sideshow, claiming one of them had been hanged three times and lived. A rare coin goes missing while they're in town.

And that's as far as we made it. None of my grandma's kids or other grandkids know it. Probably from the 40s-60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Runcible Cat posted:

It rings a vague bell... maybe something by Sid Fleischman? Or The Black Symbol by Annabel & Edgar Johnson? I've got a copy of that around somewhere; if I can find it I'll check.

Found it! Thanks!!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/350588.The_Ghost_on_Saturday_Night