Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
asking for a friend:

quote:

theres a story im never going to remember the name of and i wonder if you can help me

it's about a woman in a position of power(?) in a global empire(?) who encounters a dude from another timeline of earth, who has the technology to hop between timelines and takes her on a journey until they accidentally go to the timeline where the dinosaurs never went extinct and have a highly technological society, "The Smiling Ones" i think theyre called

also theyre in spaceships i guess. they definitely are at the end because those smiling ones are in ships described as 'claw-shaped'.

it was definitely in like a best of the year anthology one of the ones edited by gardner dozois
i think it would have to have been before like 2012 because it was one of the first ones i read

It's not "Looking for Kelly Dahl" by Dan Simmons.

edit: It was Alastair Reynolds' The Six Directions of Space!

tinaun fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU