Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This one is really obscure, I think. I read it in the 1970s.

A thriller in which an ordinary nebbish takes in a homeless girl. She turns out to be pregnant, and delivers a child; he is delighted. One day he awakens to find her gone, and to find the baby's bones in his furnace. He is arrested for the murder of the child. The novel ends with his telling the police "A long time ago, when I was a child ..."

And there it ends. When I read it, I checked multiple times to see if our copy was missing a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This one's a weirdy. It's something my parents bought as a used hardback, with a slipcover, some time in the 1960s or 1970s, meaning it can't have been published after then. As I remember, it was in a hardback format shorter than normal; it was the same size as the John Buchan reissues, if you have any of them.

It was a novel about a man living alone who wasn't very good at society. A young woman with a somewhat rakish lifestyle wound up on his doorstep and he took her in. She turned out to be pregnant (not by him) and he became very excited about raising the baby; bought some baby supplies. One morning, she was gone, there was a nasty smell, the baby was in the furnace, and the cops were at the door.

The last sentence is what haunts me. It was (paraphrasing wildly) he wondered what would happen to his thoughts, and would they be like the dreams of his childhood, which hovered around the bedposts.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

In my experience, little kids adore ghoulish books. I grew up on, and could recite from memory, Matilda, who told lies and was burned to death.. Hilaire Belloc was the late 19th-century Edward Gorey.

quote:

That Night a Fire did break out --
You should have heard Matilda Shout!
You should have heard her Scream and Bawl,
And throw the window up and call
To People passing in the Street --
(The rapidly increasing Heat
Encouraging her to obtain
Their confidence) -- but all in vain!
For every time she shouted 'Fire!'
They only answered 'Little Liar!'

And therefore when her Aunt returned,
Matilda, and the House, were Burned.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

wheatpuppy posted:

Unaccompanied Sonata by Orson Scott Card?

Card has a big loving Thing about abused children, doesn't he?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

navyjack posted:

Man of His Word series by Dave Duncan. Believe first one is Magic Casement.

Love Duncan. He also wrote one of the early isekai series, The Reluctant Swordsman.
... what.

How does "isekai" in an English-language work differ from "portal fantasy", which is literally centuries old in English?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

A Maze of Clouds posted:

Der satanarchäolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch by Michael Ende. English title: The Night of Wishes: Or the Satanarchaeolidealcohellish Notion Potion. Great book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_of_Wishes
Okay, German speakers are now issued 1000 spaces per day, and all of them must be used before nightfall.