Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
This is embarrassing as hell but whatever.

It was a Harry Potter fanfiction, I'm pretty sure it was from fanfiction.net, about Neville dealing with his parents' madness and the aftermath of a suicide attempt.

I know I attempted to find this ages ago but there's just too much garbage to sort through.

Edit: never mind I found it and it was horrible.

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I don't remember if this is a novel or short story, but I remember reading a piece of fiction about a boy who is bullied and occasionally sexually abused by other boys from his school. Now a man, he returns to his hometown and thinks about those experiences from his past and wants a reckoning, although he doesn't know how. The protagonist reunites with at least one of the men who had joined in on the abuse, who has grown into a normal, well-adjusted adult. When asked about his actions all those years ago, this man either doesn't recall the abuse or downplays it as normal childhood teasing. The protagonist is left with a feeling of deep dissatisfaction.

Possibly The Book of Joe by Jonathan Tropper?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm looking for the author of an urban fantasy book titled Underworld or Underground? It's set underneath New York City and was published in the 80s or 90s.

Downsiders by Neal Shusterman?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
This isn't a typical request for this thread but idk where else might be able to help.

Someone asked on FB if people had learned about the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice in school. I did not.

HOWEVER, I did recently (like in 2019) read a book that referenced it multiple times.

I cannot for the life of me figure out which book it was. It's basically impossible to Google because there's too many results and most of them are retellings of the myth.

This book WAS NOT a retelling of the myth, it just referenced it several times.

Anyone have a clue? I can type up a list of the books I've read so far this year that I remember if that is helpful.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I read a lot of books back to back so I can't remember which one had the reference.

I'm pretty sure it talked about the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, definitely talked about the end with the "don't look back" thing, and I THINK there was some comparison to what was going on in their own life.

Here's a (probably incomplete and definitely not in order) list of books I've read recently. Also missing is what I'm currently reading which is Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 28, 2019

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Nope, definitely never read that. Thanks for the input though!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Gnoman posted:

This is a very long shot, but there's a story that I have only the dimmest memory of. The only thing I remember is that a major character (possibly the protagonist) was named Chris, and it ended with her being turned into a chrysanthemum plant.

Is this it? Picking Crysanthenum by P. L. Hampton

It's about a character named Chrysanthemum, nicknamed Chris. And the genre is fiction/fantasy.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Beerdeer posted:

The library between worlds from the Magicians?

You mean the neitherlands?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I posted this in the Discord but it hasn't been found yet.

HELP. Book from early 2000s, mystery. I think it was part of a series. Something having to do with the internet. It had a black cover with blue writing on it. The one that I read had something to do with snow... A ski lodge or something

The cover was black with blue text all over it, maybe code? There were no pictures on the cover as far as I can remember.

It was definitely late 90s/early 2000s and the early internet was an important part of the story. Maybe they had met on a forum or something? That's what connected the books in the series I think. It didn't have the same characters, but all had to do with this internet group

The book that I had had something to do with snow or skiing or a ski lodge and the text on the cover was blue.

I think other books in the series had a different color text all over the cover

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 1, 2020

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I posted this in the Discord but it hasn't been found yet.

HELP. Book from early 2000s, mystery. I think it was part of a series. Something having to do with the internet. It had a black cover with blue writing on it. The one that I read had something to do with snow... A ski lodge or something

The cover was black with blue text all over it, maybe code? There were no pictures on the cover as far as I can remember.

It was definitely late 90s/early 2000s and the early internet was an important part of the story. Maybe they had met on a forum or something? That's what connected the books in the series I think. It didn't have the same characters, but all had to do with this internet group

The book that I had had something to do with snow or skiing or a ski lodge and the text on the cover was blue.

I think other books in the series had a different color text all over the cover

OMG I figured out what the book was.

It was a book series called danger.com and the one I was thinking of was "Shiver"

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Posting for a friend

quote:

Ok hive mind, give me a hand. Every time I watch The Matrix, I recall that as a child (this would be the 90s-early 00s) I read a short story that definitely heavily inspired it. Can't seem to find via google. Gonna place what info I remember from it below. If anyone recognizes or remembers anything relevant lmk:

Humans live in pods in these giant towers and are fed pleasant dream lives, like in the Matrix, in some way of service to a robot overlord

I BELEIVE the robot overlord is called "Thunder" but I'm not 100% on that

Main character is one of these humans, who is frequently woken up by Thunder to hunt down humans that have gone rogue

He spends some time trying to figure out why he hasn't received intel as to where the rogue human is this time, spends most of the short story thinking about it....then realizes he's the rogue human.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Splicer posted:

Wake Up To Thunder by Dean Koontz

He said that wasn't it 😕

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Drakyn posted:

I inflicted this awful bullshit on the Sci-fi and Fantasy thread in passing:

And now I bring it unto you. I am sorry.

Time frame of when you read this/how old it might be?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I had a therapist/counselor who read an excerpt from a book (some sort of self help/cbt book) and now I'm trying to track down the book.

It was a very outlandish example of catastrophic thinking. Something like a woman woke up late and her catastrophic thinking was that she was going to miss the train for work and her husband would divorce her and she'd lose everything so she might as well jump in front of the train

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Looking for a book I read as a kid (New York, late 90s/early 2000s) but it was definitely an old book already.

I'm pretty sure it had a dark red cover.

It was about a boy who did a series of trades to get something he wanted (or maybe it was for someone else?)

The only item I can remember he traded was a stamp collection.

Edit: it was The Seventeenth Swap by Eloise McGraw

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 26, 2022

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
A book that's a biography of a fictional author, interspersed with excerpts from "his books"

This was a large (height/length) hard-cover book. The cover may have been blue? The book was a biography of a fictional author - the pages were in color, with pictures of the author's books and excerpts and descriptions.

I took it out from the library once a long time ago, but never finished it. This must have been sometime between 2009 and 2017.

I think the title may have been something along the lines of "The Life and Work of [Fake Author]"

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

yaffle posted:

It's "The Mysteries of Harris Burdick" by Chris Van Allsburg.

Looks like a similar premise, but this isn't it. It was pretty new when I took it out. Probably published no earlier than 2000

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

HOLY poo poo THIS IS IT thank you so much!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Trying to find a Holocaust book I read as a kid.

- Read between 1994 and 2004
- Definitely age appropriate (children's book/middle grade/YA)
- it had something to do with a train (people being packed in on a train?)
- it had something to do with a camera or photographs

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Owl at Home posted:

Ok, I have one I need help finding.

A juvenile/young adult fantasy story, pretty certain it was a standalone book and not part of a larger series. Very similar in tone to some of the postmodern meta-fairytale retellings that were everywhere in the 90s-early 2000s. (Like somewhat along the lines of Ella Enchanted, Dealing with Dragons/Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Once Upon a Marigold, etc.)

The premise is that all book or story characters are really ‘alive,’ and when their stories are being read characters are acting out the story as if they are in a play. When their book is closed they live their lives as normal, but when it’s open they have to be ‘on-script’ and recite their dialogue, perform key actions, etc. The protagonist is a stock fairytale princess, I think she’s meant to be the main character of the story-within-the-story but I don’t remember for sure. Her character arc focused a lot on her frustration about the inherently limited scope of her reality and existence. One scene I remember is that she skips or messes up her lines and the reader character becomes confused, other book characters have to improvise to cover for her mistake and they get mad at her later.

The strongest visual I remember is that the storybook characters perceive their readers as huge figures looking down on them from the sky or through the roof, with the sets and characters of the story being described like a diorama viewed from above.

Eventually the reader character becomes fully aware of the living book people and has various direct conversations with them, especially the princess.

That’s all I got, I wish I remembered more of the story beats or how the plot was resolved. I must have read it sometime in the early 2000s, based on what I remember the tone of the prose was very typical 90’s juv lit but it could have been from earlier, maybe 1980s. Anybody recognize this one?

This is almost exactly the plot of Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult but with a prince in the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
The first one sort of sounds like The Starlight Crystal by Christopher Pike