Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm trying to recall a young adult book in the vein of Judy Blume (not one of hers I believe, I checked a lot of them on her Wikipedia page). All I remember from it is that the female teenage main character has such a bad parent/teacher meeting (I think she and the teacher were having strong disagreements) that she basically suffers a complete physical breakdown, like the negative assessment by her teacher has made her violently ill. I thought then, and now, that it was a strange reaction. Her symptoms were a lot like one time that I got sick (she specifically mentions just being 'unable to get out of bed', which happened to me one time when I was young, my body just suddenly became very weak. No idea what I had then), but I actually had a physical disease while hers is a psychological reaction.

I also recall that once she's recovered someone takes her to get her ears pierced.

Could it be Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You by Barthe DeClements? The main character had a lot of trouble in school because she was dyslexic and didn't realize, and acted out to compensate. There was definitely a part where her uncle takes her out to get her ears pierced and the woman at the piercer's is kind of New-Agey and starts telling the mc about the meanings of all the different stones. Do you remember a part where the mc spraypainted "School makes me puke" on a school wall, only with a bunch of misspellings (because dyslexia) and a police officer comes to her classroom and makes everyone write the message out, and she panics because she realizes her misspellings could give her away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

Professor Shark posted:

This is actually a BBC Radio Drama, but I figure this is a good spot for it:

I only remember the very beginning of this mystery drama. It starts with a gruff, cynical detective sitting on a bus while an older woman is (to his annoyance) telling him about a crime that she witnessed and how she is going to report it to the police. She is then killed as soon as she steps off the bus, causing the detective much anguish and him vowing to catch who did it.

That's as far as I got before I fell asleep. Now I cannot find it anywhere!

Agatha Christie's Murder is Easy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_Is_Easy

EDIT: Should add that that link spoils the entire plot, if you want to read the book.

Liffrea fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 7, 2020

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

DasNeonLicht posted:

Deep reach with this one — a contemporary novel with a historical setting on (I want to say) the American East Coast... New England? I think the first-person narrator was female, pining after her at-sea husband. A whaler? Was there a mermaid or a selkie? A threatening storm? I want to say I remember descriptions of the rickety homes in this coastal town.

Nothing too pulpy — would have been something my NPR-obsessed bookworm girlfriend at the time would have picked up between 2010–2013 — possibly something they recommended.

Thanks for any leads.

Edit: The plot and publication date of The Mermaid Collector seem so similar, but I want to say it was somewhat more middlebrow or it would have gotten some buzz in press? is there anything with a similar plot and setting?

Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer? https://www.amazon.com/Ahabs-Wife-Star-gazer-Novel-P-S/dp/0060838744

It was published in 2005, but I definitely remember it being a thing (might have been one of Oprah's Book Club selections or something like that) sometime around that period.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

hexwren posted:

teen novel where the sidekick character is a conceptual artist with a weird car

his final project for art class is, if memory serves, running a wedding cake through a car wash

probably a korman or spinelli

Korman's Son of Interflux? It takes place at a high school for the arts.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

A book in the 90s about a group of girls, I think junior high age. I want to say it had Blubber vibes, maybe. I think there was a girl they bullied that eventually made friends with them? Only things I remember are

1) Bullied girl is overweight and after they made friends they have a sleepover or something, with pizza. Bullied girl reaches for a 3rd slice and the rest of the group tell her no, she agrees and says "the truth hurts!"

2) Bullied girl gets dared to hitchhike home from a different town, which she does. Afterwards she tells her friends the guy that picked her up lectured her and took her directly to her parents and she got in huge trouble

I'm almost positive this is Barthe DeClements' Nothing's Fair in 5th Grade. Does the bullied girl getting blamed for stealing her class's book club money ring any bells?