Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm cross posting from the GBS white whale thread and this is a little different. I have a picture of the book cover from a TV show and would like help finding out what the book title is.

The source is Season 1, episode 8 of House of Cards. Timestamp is 21:20. Ben Daniels character is having a phone conversation with Robin Wright and he's drinking a beer on the couch. The book is open on the couch next to him, and he stands up and walks away. There's no closer shot of the book than this.

My original picture was a phone pic of my laptop so apologies again for the quality. Here's a slightly better picture taken from a HiDef TV.

The title looks like it says The New Something Something. Daniels character is a photographer living in New York so I thought it might be something photography or NY related. The cover looks more orange in this version than the original yellow.

I thought for a second it might have been The New York Trilogy (a book I already own) but Google doesn't show me any editions having that same cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A book I read about six years ago but it's probably a bit older than that. Set in the UK, it's bunch of letters between old friends who have drifted apart. One dude is a total rear end in a top hat and is cheating on his wife with one of the female friends. They have sex in a tent in a public park and are nearly caught when a dog walker stumbles on them.

Two of the male friends exchange letters and there are some really funny exchanges where they're both oblivious to how gay they are and they eventually end up in a loving relationship with eachother.

I think the group initially start writing to eachother because one of their old female friends died in mysterious circumstances?

I read this the same time I read The Curious Case of The Dog in the Nighttime.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Lot 49 posted:

I doubt this is it but maybe 'Unfaithfully Yours' by Nigel Williams.

Oh wow, it was this! Thank you. I went through a huge list of epistolatory novels but nothing jumped out at me. I'd completely forgotten the private detective thread.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I don't think this will be identified but what the hey.

A book I read in the 90s that I was way too young to be reading. It's a really tacky trashy erotic thriller and most likely was given away with a newspaper or something because I remember it being really short. The front cover was entirely red and there may have been a gun sight with a picture of a woman in it.

The plot was that the female protagonist gets caught up in some kind of drug smuggling plot in Amsterdam. I think her new boyfriend is murdered and she has to go on the run from the law and criminals. The twist at the end might have been the boyfriend was alive and was actually evil all along. I definitely remember a scene where the main girl and her best friend are hiding out in a strip club and are forced to simulate having sex on stage.

This was on my parent's bookshelf for years so its possibly a novella from the early 90s but that's just a guess.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm looking for a graphic novel I read within the past ten years. I've read so many that I've forgotten the frame tale.

The story opens in a strange rendition of a Marquis de Sade novel, the one with all the s&m. It turns out that this is a story within a story and somebody in the 'real world ' is either reading the book or it's some kind of X-Men Danger Room. The story then moves to the real world and the rest of the comic is about it but it does revisit the Marquis world briefly at the end - I think something that happens in the real world has an effect on what happens in the book.

Sorry that's not much to go on, it's likely a one shot independent so it's not Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Transmetropolitan or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's not The Invisibles as I've never read it. I'm gonna ask a friend who I often shared comics with if he remembers.