Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Zack Ater posted:

This one is forward in time, not back, but otherwise sounds kind of like Dean Koontz's Lightning?

Also forward in time is Charles Sheffield's Tomorrow and Tomorrow

It hits the saving his wife theme, and its from the 90s too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ramc posted:

Okay I have kind of a tricky request. A family member of mine sent me this photo (cropped to remove people) and they are wondering if it is possible to figure out what the book on the table is. Time-wise the pic was taken around 1989 and is "probably sci-fi"

White text on a dark cover, white back with 5 weird column things? not sure thats remotely enough to go on.

Seems like a longshot what with 'picture of a polaroid' quality but I figure if any hivemind is going to pluck this from the ether it is goons.

I swear I recognize that back cover.

The title seems to say something like Entropy Stars or something

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Gambrinus posted:

I think the white writing could be "EMPIRE" but probably not.

Sam Delaney wrote a book called Empire Star but none of the editions posted on Goodreads has the right front cover

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ramc posted:

Update, it was found!

NICE!

I knew I had seen it, and even pulled all my vintage Witchworld books to check because something whispered Andre Norton in the back of my mind. Well done

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

It is the plot of an 80s horror movie

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The New Babel Tower is what I see

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Another successful goon project!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

City on the Edge of Forever by Harlan Ellison?

(I kid, I kid)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Phy posted:

Trying to remember the name of a science fiction-ish short story. Set in a near-future gas-crisis version of the 50s-70s. A suburban guy keeping up with the Joneses rumbles his big, loud, brand new car up and down the block so his neighbor can see what he's driving - and then, when he pulls back into the garage, tells his son, "Ok, I'll go rewind the tape for the exhaust note, you wind the car's mainspring back up, and when you're done maybe I'll let you drive it!"

Sounds like something by Ballard

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I have a book from that era matching that description called The New Astronomy that I don't think was pitched at a kids level but then the name is also attached to this series: https://classicaleducationbooks.ca/product/the-new-astronomy-book/ so vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ToxicFrog posted:

This sounds Very Christian, which the book she describes was not.

Whoa, didn't notice that. The book I have that led me to search it is not either, just shares the same name as that series, which seemed age appropriate (the book I have not so much upon flipping through it again). Apologies for not reading into it deeper!