Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Probably not the story in question, but Ted Chiang has a similar one called "The Lifecycle of Software Objects" in Exhalation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chill la Chill posted:

Trying to remember the name of a short story that was about a man who was running through an idyllic 1950s neighborhood but everything was frozen in time, or ghostly, or there were no people there and just memories. I think there was also a short film made from the short story. They were running through the neighborhood, I think because they wanted to get back home or wanted to reconnect with their family, but lost them as time went on.

Wish I could remember more of it, but it was years ago.

John Cheever's "The Swimmer" loosely fits this. The dude is getting home by swimming in all of the pools in infinite suburbia as if they're one long river, having drinks with people as he goes, but gothic weirdness happens and things start to become less idyllic and when he gets home his house is long abandoned.

There is a film but I haven't seen it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks a lot! It was definitely "The Swimmer" but "The Day Time Stopped Moving" sounds great and I'll give it a read too.

:peanut:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dee-ann Du-anny

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

VostokProgram posted:

How do you look up a book when you definitely know the title, but not the author, and Google isn't helping?

try https://www.worldcat.org/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

calandryll posted:

Yeah the lectures sound interesting. I know I've read one version of Arthur that was oddly enough by John Steinbeck. It has the more modern verbiage but it's been 30 years since I read it.

The Steinbeck one is more or less a modern paraphrase of Malory - just a "let me repackage these stories I love so much so kids these days can read them too" thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BattyKiara posted:

Short story about a bIoke who is convinced there is secret society setting up in his neighbourhood, Iots of shenanigans as he tries a bunch of very inept spying on supposed secret society happens, with humorous resuIts!

Turns out the secret society and their compIex handshakes turns out to be a IocaI meet up for deaf peopIe

Oh I think I've read this. Is this a Roald Dahl story?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Data Graham posted:

I think that was called the Anarchist Cookbook

the tennis ball in the anarchist's cookbook involved strike-anywhere match heads.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain_Indigo posted:

2004-2010

I THINK it was British.

A novel with a few different protagonists.

The cover was white with a few different images on including a gecko/tree frog.

One of the characters was some kind of FBI/government official whose partner chain smoked (literally smoked cigarette after cigarette all day).

Think there was a theme about probability/likelihood of things happening. One character was (or had an item that was) a probability influencer.

This is just a shot from left field but some of this sounds like William Gibson's Blue Ant trilogy - Pattern Recognition/Spook Country/Zero History, maybe if you read it and got some wires crossed with another book (which is something I've done more than once).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

WHY BONER NOW posted:

A book in the 90s about a group of girls, I think junior high age. I want to say it had Blubber vibes, maybe. I think there was a girl they bullied that eventually made friends with them? Only things I remember are

1) Bullied girl is overweight and after they made friends they have a sleepover or something, with pizza. Bullied girl reaches for a 3rd slice and the rest of the group tell her no, she agrees and says "the truth hurts!"

2) Bullied girl gets dared to hitchhike home from a different town, which she does. Afterwards she tells her friends the guy that picked her up lectured her and took her directly to her parents and she got in huge trouble

I can confirm I've read this too but can't tell you any more about it, but it exists.