Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
There's a book I've been thinking about on and off for years now. I would've read it either in the late 80s or early 90s.

The main characters are a boy and his younger brother who are spending the summer away from home. I dont remember if it's at their grandparents house or whatever. The older boy is overweight and shy. I think there's a big mystery regarding a lake or pond? There is a girl the same age as the older boy and I think he likes her but is too shy.

The one thing I really remember for sure is that at some point the girl wants to give the older boy a gift so she decides to give him a belt which I think she makes herself. But she doesnt know what his measurements are, so she finds a tree that looks about as big as he is around and wraps the leather or whatever around it to help her gauge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Probably 15-20 years ago, I bought a book written by a goon. It was about an urban/local boogieman during the dustbowl era. Supernatural. I think the title was the boogieman's name: Mr. *something*

Anyone remember this?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think that was it!! Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of it in years and years (don't even remember if I liked it), but I'm going to put it on my to-do list

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Collection of horror stories I read as a kid in the 80s or 90s. I only remember one story:

Kid's house has a cellar you could access by stairs outside. In the cellar is an old desiccated corpse of something, I think it was the size of a toddler and might've had birdlike features? Kid was creeped out by it.

Somehow the kid manages to tumble down the stairs with the doors closing behind him. The last line of the story was "It was looking at him."

This story really stuck with me as a kid, I'd like to read it again some day

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
A book in the 90s about a group of girls, I think junior high age. I want to say it had Blubber vibes, maybe. I think there was a girl they bullied that eventually made friends with them? Only things I remember are

1) Bullied girl is overweight and after they made friends they have a sleepover or something, with pizza. Bullied girl reaches for a 3rd slice and the rest of the group tell her no, she agrees and says "the truth hurts!"

2) Bullied girl gets dared to hitchhike home from a different town, which she does. Afterwards she tells her friends the guy that picked her up lectured her and took her directly to her parents and she got in huge trouble

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

wizzardstaff posted:

I think that was another Judy Blume book, Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great.

Hmm, reading the synopsis doesn't ring any bells, thanks though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Liffrea posted:

I'm almost positive this is Barthe DeClements' Nothing's Fair in 5th Grade. Does the bullied girl getting blamed for stealing her class's book club money ring any bells?

Man, that plot element doesn't come to mind...but I definitely remember that title, and after reading a synopsis I think its super likely that's my book! Thank you!!