Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'm trying to remember the name of a series of detective novels I read in the 90's. They were set in the states, probably in New York. The main character was an eccentric/bohemian type, given to big hats, jazz and cravats. Although I might be misremembering all of that, quirky anyway. Name might being with "F". A detail I remember was that he had to let people in to his apartment/office by throwing or lowering down the keys.

Edit: It was Kinky Friedman

yaffle fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

wizzardstaff posted:

That sounds like A Street Through Time illustrated by Steve Noon.

https://youtu.be/Vog1shTL6f0

It sounds a lot like it, but "A street through time" was published in 1998. Could it be something by Peter Spier? The Legend of New Amsterdam perhaps?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

xian posted:

Speculative science fiction set in new york about a risk manager / actuary dealing with climate change. Can't remember the title. Came out in the last 10-15 years. Not 2140 by KSR.

I think KSR has written more than one book on that subject...

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Narzack posted:

As per usual, it's a YA book that I read in junior high. Very vague, but it was about a dude who somehow- I think it was a cave or a tunnel of some kind- goes through a portal to prehistoric/caveman/dinosaur times and meets a tribe of humans and lives with them for a bit. Acclimates, falls in love, that kinda thing. I thiiiiiiiiiink that they hunted wooly mammoths or sabretooth tigers. The only sequence that I can still remember is when the dude finally kisses his cavechick, there is a line about his sliding his thumb into her sweaty armpit. I remember thinking, like, the smell must be unimaginable.

This is most likely "The Transall Saga" by Gary Paulson, its a perennial favorite in this sort of thread.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Ok I cannot for the life of me find this via google.

There is a book that apparently my 1st and 2nd graders both read (or had read to them) at school, where a cat goes and lives in the forest for a while and then when it returns it’s kind of mangled up and refuses to go back inside its house. Apparently in the end it does go back inside the house. It is not Into the Wild. I have no idea what book these kids are describing to me.

One of the Erin Hunter books maybe? They are all about gangs of cats that go and live in the wild, but there are about 100 of them so it could be any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

tomanton posted:

Could really use help sourcing a Shakespeare(?) quote, I recall some old outmatched swordsman about to die for his beliefs saying something like "some battles aren't to win or lose but to say you fought". I can't find anything on it so maybe it's from a different author or I imagined it entirely.

You could be mis-remembering Grantland Rice:
"For when the One Great Scorer comes To mark against your name,
He writes - not that you won or lost - But how you played the Game"