Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
A short story I read in a sci-fi anthology way back when. Don't ask me why I even bother when all I remember are a few details, but here goes:

Soldiers, fighting a war against some alien race. Everybody is required to wear some kind of distorting mask with a visor, and possibly take some sort of medication, supposedly to protect them from the aliens. The punchline is that the protagonist happens to see some of the alien soldiers without protection and realizes that they are, in fact, humans too, wearing the same distorting masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002

imnotinsane posted:

Also one other book that i read earlier maybe 8 or 9 years ago was called something like "Space Gun" or "Space Zapper" or something about a gun. I am pretty sure it was by an Australian author so maybe not many Americans will have heard about it.

It was a book about a kid whos dads a game developer and brings him home some new game from his boss in Japan called Space Gun or something. The game is really hard in the first level and he never gets anywhere. Then he gets angry or something and he goes into the actual game where he has to shot the men. I think he invites over someone he doesn't get along with to make him more angry so that he can easily get into the game or something. I remember that after playing the game for a while they start to see black cracks every where and the men hiding in the corners or something and they go crazy.

edit - last time i searched i had no luck - remembering it was by an australian i searched "space Gun australian book" - any way if anyone else wants to know the title of the book is Space Demons by Gillian Rubinstein

Thanks
That is so messed up, because I remember seeing some obviously made for TV movie that reminds me of your description.

Anyway, here's an easy one for you: I think it was one of William Gibson's earlier short stories; it was basically about this emergency counselor type whose job is to make first contact with astronauts coming back from missions to another dimension or something, who had the habit of killing themselves immediately upon returning.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
I listened to this story on a podcast, probably Starship Sofa. Must’ve been at least 10 years ago and I’m fuzzy on the details.

Broadly, it’s about a guy living in a totalitarian dystopia who’s been convicted of rape, and part of his sentence is being subject to experiments where increasingly bizarre pieces of alien anatomy are grafted onto his body. The central conceit was to create a creature so alien that it somehow pushes the boundaries of reality. Mankind had been somehow trapped in a limited amount of space and this was part of an effort to break out. In the end, I think he escapes, although it’s not really him any longer at that point.

I seem to recall the protagonist lives in an apartment building where all the apartments are in constant webcam communication with each other, and his neighbours will regularly tell him how he shouldn’t have raped that girl if he didn’t want to be in his predicament. He’s summoned for his sessions by a flying insect drone finding him and injecting some kind of drug, unannounced.

Yeah, it sounds crazy, but there was something about the story and the narrator’s delivery that did it for me at the time. Looking at what I just typed, it has dream-logic written all over it. Any ideas?