Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Not really a book but a show about books. This was probably the mid to late 80s. There was a show on PBS, at least in Maryland, of a guy that drew scenes from different books. I remember he did The Dark is Rising and if I'm not mistaken the image that he did was one of the covers for it. I read one of the books he did, I can't remember too much detail since it was such a long time ago. For some reason time travel and a cellar are involved, but I could be wrong.

If anyone knows the name of the show that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Nrapture posted:

More Books from Cover to Cover, hosted by John Robbins

I thought there was Robin somewhere in the name. Thanks.

Edit: The Root Cellar was the book I was thinking of.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

BovineFury posted:

I guess it was the eighties, early nineties. There was a series of books with one group of magic users who tattooed magic symbols on themselves. They lost a war with some group who danced to do magic, and got locked up in a prison dimension. There were several different worlds, and one had water that would take away magic powers. I don't really remember anything else other than there being a necromancy world.

That almost sounds like the Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I don't remember anything about dancing for magic but I got got through the first two books.

Edit: Didn't notice the next page.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

cricket eater joe posted:

I've been trying to remember the name of this book for some time now. The basic premise of the story focuses around a young wizard who is gay. Early in his life he is injured somehow and develops an extreme affinity for all aspects of magic (I am thinking there were five), rather than just one or two like most people have. In the book they're not actually described as gay or wizards, they have different terms to refer to them that I also cannot remember.

I am thinking it is called The "something" mage, or something similar.

It wouldn't happen to be The Last Herald Mage by Mercedes Lackey? That's about the only one I know of.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Morlock posted:

Hey You Down There! by Harold Rolseth. There's a pdf including it at http://www.englishandmedia.co.uk/download/pdf/engunitsamp.pdf

That was a pretty awesome story.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
My girlfriend was telling me of short story about a man working in a office setting in the early 19th or 20th century. His co-worker keeps trying to kill himself by jumping out of a window. It turns out the co-worker was a ghost. She said it was part of an anthology.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Fiannaiocht posted:

Hey I'm trying to figure out what this book I read early in middle school was called. It was an English fantasy novel for young teens written in the 80's or early 90's. All I can really remember about the plot was that it had a serious tone, involved traveling to some kind of alternate England, something about a Welsh kid with white hair, and the title might start with a W. I know there's little to go on but it'd be pretty crazy if someone knew what I was talking about.

Edit: After doing some research I found out that it was The Dark Is Rising series and I was pretty much wrong about everything I described.

If I remember correctly one of the characters in the later books had white hair from Wales that was named Bran. I love these books to death.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Morlock posted:

Then I hope you haven't seen the movie. Never do. Ever.

I was smart and avoided it like the plague. Didn't they remove the Dark is Rising bit from the title?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Piell posted:

Sounds like The Forever War.

I would say that is most definitely it, I just finished it a few weeks ago and matches word for word with his description. Excellent book to boot.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Runcible Cat posted:

The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson. Skip the first chapter unless you like suffocating in some of the ghastliest glurge ever committed to paper.

I'm assuming skipping the first chapter won't harm the story? I've tried a few different times to start it but couldn't get into it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I have one, not necessarily a story, there was a collection of books that my mother purchased years ago. I want to say that I was 11 or 12, so '91-92. It was a series of books that had different activities for kids, it was color coded by groups. There was red, yellow, green, and a few others. I think there was about 30 books in total, each was only 30 pages or so.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've been trying to remember this book from when I was younger. I read it in 1992, which is when I think it came out. Young adult about a girl and a dragon. I don't remember any other details about it unfortunately.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Alternatively, Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, though that came out a couple years before.

I think that is the one, I'll see if I can find a cheap copy to read. The cover on Amazon seems to be what I remember, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah the lectures sound interesting. I know I've read one version of Arthur that was oddly enough by John Steinbeck. It has the more modern verbiage but it's been 30 years since I read it.